• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I just quit..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
I've been trying to "git gud" for ****ing ages I've played over 400+ matches on the 3DS version and I still haven't improved ONE ****ing bit. I get 2 stocked by level 9 CPU's and it's just unbearable. I've punched, headbutted and thrown my gamepad several times now. (Thankfully it's as hard as a brick) So should I just quit?

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
Playing against CPU doesn't really help to improve, cause they perfect shield / counter everywhere. I also lose against them, but I think I do pretty well with human opponents.
I see you play Falcon and Fox, maybe their playstyle doesn't fit to yours? Have you tried other characters?

I suggest you to play a lot on for glory (good players can be found sometimes), you can find some players here too! Try others characters or see videos of Fox/Falcon players! Just don't quit the game because you lose, as long as you lose you can learn, it's when you keep winning that its getting anoying! Keep it up!
And finally don't hurt your poor gamepad please :)

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
You shouldn't quit, quitting will not help you. CPU just spam and are easy to read after you been playing for a while, just like drawing or any other hobby it takes time and practice keep at it will get better believe me. just learn from you mistakes and play with a friend.

Last edited:

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
CPU are a really bad way to judge how much you have grown.
also many people make the mistake of trying to focus on their character during a match, if you find yourself doing this watch your opponent instead.
try using spectate mode and focusing on one of the players--see how they move, and what patterns they have
once you learn your opponent you can begin to do so much more with your character.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Don't quit. The first thing to get good at something, its not quitting.
You should stop playing CPU lvls 9, they are good to get you in the game the first time but not so much.
Try playing for glory and DON'T GET DOWN when you lose, you will lose and you will often.
If you still feels that "something is bad with this character" (because I felt it once), you need to ask yourself a few things.
1) Is the other player really better than you?
2) Am I playing a character as a fast one when indeed it is a power one?
3) Am I doing a lot of mistakes and that's why I can't win?

And you should definitely:
1) See some videos of the character that you want to play.
2) Put special attention for why you get KOd.
3) Try to "see" your match in your head and fix your mistakes.
4) Keep playing with people that defeat you, that's the only way you can get better if you learn.

In my experiencie, I started as a Fox (nope), then I tried a Link (maybe), after that Greninja (it was close, but no) and now I'm Olimar. I'm not good with Olimar but I'm learning.
I don't win all the time but I don't feel that "something is wrong" anymore.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
Quitting is definitely the LEAST effective way of improving.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Don't ever quit! Those rough spots are part of improving. Just try to keep away from playing against the CPU, that's no way of really improving. Play against others on For Glory or on Smash Ladder. Picking up on peoples tactics and making strategies around them and learning from your mistakes is the best way to make progress.

Raijinken

Smash Master
If it gets frustrating, take a break and do something relaxing, then retry again later. Practice practice practice, but like others have said, CPUs really aren't the best representation of humans - they literally read your inputs at level 9 and are only effectively beaten by baiting punishable moves, which can be fun but is a very defensive way to play. If you want to practice on CPUs, 8s are better for judging how humans react, but are still kinda stupid and predictable once you learn their patterns. I once trapped even a level 9 Ness into doing the exact same approach (which received the exact same punish) for about 20 consecutive seconds until his damage changed his launch distance enough.

For Glory can help if you (and your opponents) have good connections. Always best to play in person, but that's not always feasible.

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
CPUs have been proven to read your button imputs and act accordingly, so don't feel bad from losing to a cheating AI.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Don't practice with Lv 9 CPU, first of all.

Second, taking a slight break may improve performance.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Back in Brawl I practiced getting used to characters by starting out at a single level 3 CPU and doing a 2 stock match. I worked the level up 1 every time I won and down one every time I lost. It didn't take long to get to the level of beating lv 9's. Oh and if you're doing For Glory the people will just try to piss you off, avoid it.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Bots are much more bearable at level 8 if you're trying to get better, not so much button reading and perfect shielding.

I say practice until you can 2 stock a random level 8 CPU every time and then come back to smash boards to read more advanced stuff about your character and start properly improving

You'll hit a point where bots make you worse at the game and you have to ditch them altogether

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
Why can't I beat CPU that literally read inputs and know the exact frame an attack will end so they can get a free grab each and every single time????

Omniomega

Smash Apprentice
Depends, if you're still having fun keep trying. If you're not, then quit. I did and I've never felt better. :D

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to "git gud" for ****ing ages I've played over 400+ matches on the 3DS version and I still haven't improved ONE ****ing bit. I get 2 stocked by level 9 CPU's and it's just unbearable. I've punched, headbutted and thrown my gamepad several times now. (Thankfully it's as hard as a brick) So should I just quit?
Yup. just quit. Honestly. If you're contemplating quitting because getting good is taking too long, you were never going to get good. But if you stick it out, try picking a main character and looking up some video guides. Find another good player and play a 99 stock match with them, on your way out you will have a better understanding of smash.

SphyreYui

Smash Rookie
First off just have fun with the game and through having fun you can better yourself. At the end of the day its just a game we all love to play win or lose.

Terrabell

Smash Cadet
I've been told fighting cpus develops bad habits,

They can be as bad as cpu's sometimes but try an amiibo, they provide a better challenge then any lv of cpu and are just more fun to fight against.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why are you fighting against CPU's anyway? Level 9 CPUs are designed to be brutal. Play online or with friends. You'll have a lot more fun that way. :)

And honestly, if you're not having fun, then you're doing it wrong.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
IS ANYONE LISTENING TO THE FACT THAT I'VE PLAYED ****ING 400+ MATCHES ON FOR GLORY AND I'M NOT NEW I HAVE MAINS I LIKE BUT I'M STILL BAD?!?!?!?"??!?!!!£"!£?!£>?$!"¬t>EɀɀTRLEHBG.
DFS NFSABGSDEAJKGAEFOM[K,LFAEW;'V#/

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I don't think these guys are giving you actual advice. People telling you to not quit should just shut up. This is all about your attitude towards the game. The amount of time you put into the game at this point isn't going to make a difference. Work on how you see the game and distance yourself emotionally from your failures. If you can't stay mentally engaged and instead get on tilt, you need to quit. Throwing your equipment is not acceptable. Wobbles is one of the best Melee players and he would not have reached that level of play if he hadn't overcome his poor relationship with the game.

Last edited:

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Not all games are for everyone. I like StarCraft, and have played it for a very long time, but I'm at a level that people would still call scrub. I mean I could try harder, but I guess I'm not as into it as other games. Don't play CPU's by the way. Infact, I insist that nobody plays against CPU's to get better. Anyone who tells you CPU's will help you is wrong... play people... in for glory you play against people so train against people.

If you're even contemplating quitting, then you should stop playing and come back later. If you don't like the game then, then you don't like the game. Or you have a problem with losing which in that case... don't... its part of life... get over it.

On a side note: playing for a long time doesn't entitle you to be "gud" at a game. If you're not actually thinking straight or applying competitive fundamentals, you won't get better no matter how long you play and I guarantee that.

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
Nah, don't quit if there's potential fun in the game.

You need to find friends to play with around your skill level and learn from each other as fighting CPUs is just trash since they Button Read ( they are programmed to read your buttons the moment they are pressed ) extremely hard in near every existing fighter/un-conventional fighter + DO NOT prepare you for living, thinking, and adapting players.

Pretty much anyone you talk to will say that playing alone vs CPU is an awful experience and doesn't do a game justice.

There's a few unfortunate bits for Smash4 :
-no 1v1 Mode with a balance between For Fun / For Glory with a Tourny acceptable Stage List with items off.
-The Wii and now Wii U both lack good ways of communication to setup playing with friends or making friends :(
-no Patch Notes if changes are made to Hitboxes and Frames x.x

Alot of people want to quit because of how your feeling, but if you have something you enjoy in this..., make friends with fellow players on these Forums and try to find a good sparring partner. Don't worry if you struggle and lose at first since 98% of all players who are probably now amazing were once horrible.

If you need a friend to spar with,
I'm pretty fresh to this new entry in Smash so I'd be happy to be you friend and sparring buddy <3
( heck, you may even be better than you think and give me a whoopin ;] )

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
Since I don't know enough about you to really say, all I can do is tell you about my own experience.

I pretty much just quit. I'm not terrible at the new game, but it just doesn't make me happy in the slightest.
I still like to watch high level play of Melee, and I do enjoy thinking about ideas for the game, but that's about it.

Thor

Smash Champion
I don't think these guys are giving you actual advice. People telling you to not quit should just shut up. This is all about your attitude towards the game. The amount of time you put into the game at this point isn't going to make a difference. Work on how you see the game and distance yourself emotionally from your failures. If you can't stay mentally engaged and instead get on tilt, you need to quit. Throwing your equipment is not acceptable. Wobbles is one of the best Melee players and he would not have reached that level of play if he hadn't overcome his poor relationship with the game.
Do you reference this, good sir? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pTVhtIawbQ [warning, there is vulgar language because HMW is on the mike - I don't think most care but we can't post bad language on here so I'll just add this warning because why not?]

For the OP, shelve the game for a week or two, and come back. Play classic mode on like level 4 with your chosen character (or lower if you need, I dunno how hard you find classic). If it's not fun, quit. If it's fun, you should start trying to actively improve if you want to be good, or else only play it for fun if you think trying to be good takes the fun out of it.

P.S: If you are unable to shelve the game that long, it suggests you either have literally nothing else to do, or that you really do enjoy the game. In any case, if you enjoy the game, start improving by treating your equipment better, and don't throw it when you lose - if you ever go to a tournament, that's very poor conduct, and your gameplay won't improve by throwing things, but it might break stuff, and replacing stuff isn't cheap.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
Do you reference this, good sir? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pTVhtIawbQ [warning, there is vulgar language because HMW is on the mike - I don't think most care but we can't post bad language on here so I'll just add this warning because why not?]

For the OP, shelve the game for a week or two, and come back. Play classic mode on like level 4 with your chosen character (or lower if you need, I dunno how hard you find classic). If it's not fun, quit. If it's fun, you should start trying to actively improve if you want to be good, or else only play it for fun if you think trying to be good takes the fun out of it.

P.S: If you are unable to shelve the game that long, it suggests you either have literally nothing else to do, or that you really do enjoy the game. In any case, if you enjoy the game, start improving by treating your equipment better, and don't throw it when you lose - if you ever go to a tournament, that's very poor conduct, and your gameplay won't improve by throwing things, but it might break stuff, and replacing stuff isn't cheap.
Since when did I say I didn't enjoy the game? I love the game, I'm a big Smash fan, I'll probably never quit and made this thread out of salt, I'm just unhappy I can't get good at a game that I sincerely love and want to excel in.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Since when did I say I didn't enjoy the game? I love the game, I'm a big Smash fan, I'll probably never quit and made this thread out of salt, I'm just unhappy I can't get good at a game that I sincerely love and want to excel in.
I know that feeling well. For some people, it can be easier to simply spectate and participate in the community that way, rather than try and compete and stress yourself out. A nice hybrid of the two can really help transition from casual play to more skillful play. Relax, watch some tournaments or pro player streams, learn some tricks, and then go play a bit and experiment. Growth isn't overnight, but you can actually learn a lot of strategies and small ways to improve just by watching.

Thor

Smash Champion
For someone who loves it, you sound like you're raging pretty hard at it, and people who love something almost never just say they're probably going to qui. I sometimes get angry at the game, but that's usually trying to do some obnoxious challenge (like clearing all-star with no healing items - didn't help that I thought it was only hard mode LOL - but Robin's down+B came through in the end), never just fighting random AI or playing For Glory. I basically never get mad when I'm fighting anyone in real life - maybe irritated or disappointed at myself for an SD, but throwing things can't do any good for your controller (be it a 3DS, Wiimote, Gamecube Controller, whatever).

If you want to excel, there are more productive things to do than making a rage/salt thread. For what it's worth, I'd go play For Glory and record some wins and [more importantly] losses - see what you do and find habits/mistakes that you can improve, and also what you're doing well. It might help you find some weakness that might've been holding you back that you didn't realize except by watching a replay.

[If you have real people to play with, that's better than For Glory, but I have no idea if you're in an area where you can just go play people who are as good as or better than you, and For Glory will probably do the trick]

Clavaat

Smash Cadet
By your OP, it sounds like you're trying to do the same things over and over and expecting different results. And even then, you need to learn to do different things to different opponents. Who are you fighting against? How are they playing (slow, aggressive, defensive etc)? Adapt your game to your opponent. You can't expect certain players to fall for the same thing every time just because they play the same character as another.

But seriously, your attitude will determine a lot of your success. And atm, you're displaying a really crappy attitude.

blightning

Smash Rookie
I don't know if I can understand your frustration, but I had an experience last night that'll help you. I was playing on For Glory (Wii U version for what that's worth) as Mega Man, and got beat down somewhere between 7 and 10 times in a row. By the same person, playing the same character (Zelda). I just couldn't keep up with her one ability that homes in on you (I don't know the name of it, something Wind?). Anyway, at that point I said OK, I'll try playing as someone else and switched to my #2 - Little Mac.

I hope this doesn't spawn a whole "Mac is OP, he's a nub character" conversation -- but after a couple more losses, I started to figure out the person's playstyle. By the end of it, I had won 3 out of 4 matches and could've easily won the fourth. It was very satisfying to work back from getting demolished to winning some just by practicing.

The point is - trying new characters might work, but the only thing that will really work is not giving up!

minilabs

Smash Rookie
I'm getting ready to pursue using one of the hardest characters to win with in the game (Bowser) and I will tell you I may share some of the same frustrations. But let me tell you it's better to fight the urge to quit. That would make you a scrub lol.

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I'm getting ready to pursue using one of the hardest characters to win with in the game (Bowser) and I will tell you I may share some of the same frustrations. But let me tell you it's better to fight the urge to quit. That would make you a scrub lol.
Since when is Bowser one of the hardest characters in the game to win with?

Kos-MosPlushie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kos-MosPlushie
IS ANYONE LISTENING TO THE FACT THAT I'VE PLAYED ****ING 400+ MATCHES ON FOR GLORY AND I'M NOT NEW I HAVE MAINS I LIKE BUT I'M STILL BAD?!?!?!?"??!?!!!£"!£?!£>?$!"¬t>EɀɀTRLEHBG.
DFS NFSABGSDEAJKGAEFOM[K,LFAEW;'V#/
Okay then, go ahead and quit. People tried to help out and give you advice and that's all you can say in return? You're not going to listen, you're going to stick with your stance no matter what anyone says.

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
I was in a similar situation awhile back when I was really into Injustice. I knew I was only ever winning because of gimmicks and lack of match up knowledge. I decided to pick a main I thought I'd enjoy and I watched some tournament matches and got combos and practiced. At first yeah I still was pretty bad but as time went on I saw myself seeing openings and could punish correctly. My point is stick to one or two characters and just get familiar with them and how they move and what makes them good and all. It may take you a fair amount of time to actually see improvement (600 injustice games for me). So just find a character you enjoy and stick to it!

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
Okay then, go ahead and quit. People tried to help out and give you advice and that's all you can say in return? You're not going to listen, you're going to stick with your stance no matter what anyone says.
I've heard all this advice and I thank people for giving it. But people are giving advice to someone who is NEW to the game, which I'm not considering I already have mains, characters I like and 400+ matches. I've applied most advice and it hasn't worked well. I made that one post after losing a match too so I was salty as ****.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
400+ matches mean you're still new to this game. You'd need at least 2000 matches with real people, online or offline, to say you're on your way on becoming a bit of a veteran.

As for advice, I'm the saltiest player I've ever known. I know exactly what you feel when you say you can't improve, when you feel rage from losing. People from locals here know me as the king of ragequitting, as I curse while pressing L, R, A and start. This has become my most detractive attribute as a Smash player. Like Quilt Reversal said, distance yourself emotionally from your failures. My greatest matches happened while I wasn't taking every single mistake I made too seriously.

Pay close attention to your opponent, adapt to his playstyle and evolve during each match. This doesn't happen instantly, though. Only through a lot of matches and a lot of time (100 matches in one day won't do much, just let time pass and games go) you can strengthen your competitive mindset. Review your replays, talk to people you play, watch videos from good players who main your characters. Pause each time they do something very good or very bad and ask yourself how and why did it happen, and try to predict any next movement while watching. Play as ROB against a level 3 CPU with your handicap at 300% and try to see why you get hit.

If none of this works and you still become very salty after each failure, stop playing for a while, or play only all-ganon Free-for-all matches on Norfair with explosive items on high in order to see the game through a different point of view.

Finally, there might be external causes for saltiness. Playing seriously during very stressful times in your life can be dangerous. This has happened to me before.

TL;DR version don't take stuff too seriously and learn from others

Kos-MosPlushie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kos-MosPlushie
I've heard all this advice and I thank people for giving it. But people are giving advice to someone who is NEW to the game, which I'm not considering I already have mains, characters I like and 400+ matches. I've applied most advice and it hasn't worked well. I made that one post after losing a match too so I was salty as ****.
Okay, drop the 400+ matches thing. No one cares, and it doesn't matter in the long run because you could have over 1000+ matches and still be bad at the game. That's like telling an artist they'll be amazing if they draw over 400 pictures. The only thing that's accomplishing is holding you back because you think you need this amount of matches to actually be good.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
Okay, drop the 400+ matches thing. No one cares, and it doesn't matter in the long run because you could have over 1000+ matches and still be bad at the game. That's like telling an artist they'll be amazing if they draw over 400 pictures. The only thing that's accomplishing is holding you back because you think you need this amount of matches to actually be good.
Well 400+ matches = practice
400 drawn pictures = practice
Practice = Makes you better
So why am I not better with all this practice?

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Well 400+ matches = practice
400 drawn pictures = practice
Practice = Makes you better
So why am I not better with all this practice?
400 drawing houses = practice ...... I don't think so, cuz what your doing is drawing 400 of the same house.

400 matches = practice ...... I don't think so!, cuz what your doing is just playing the darn game over and over without taking any knowledge about the match you've lost to or about the game itself.

its same concept with drawing, your not going to get better if you draw a human million times because you need to learn the human body. you can draw all you want, but if you don't understand the human anatomy, your never going to get good. (PERIOD)

Same with smash bros.

you play, learn the game. Don't just play the fkn game.

Learn "things" in sm4sh that will surely improve your game such as: (Again, DON"T JUST PLAY THE GAME)

- footsies
- zoning
- spacing
- pivots
- ending lag/ starting lag
- short hopping
- ledge gaurding
- gimping
etc.................

Know those and use them. I bet you don't even use a single one efficiently if your telling us your that bad.
Just STOP PLAYING THE GAME "ONLY"
you need to use your brain a lot more.

I recommend you learn those terms.
AGAIN YOUR NOT GETTING BETTER BY "ONLY" PLAYING
watch pro play the game. Listen to the commentator.

IM GONA SAY THIS ONE MORE TIME
YOUR NOT GOING TO EVER GET GOOD BY "ONLY" PLAYING OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER

you can try to break a thick wood 10,000 times, but your karate chop won't get better, if you don't have the knowledge.

USE YOUR BRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! USE IT.

Note: I said the same thing over and over, JUST SO THIS GETS INTO YOUR HEAD.

Think of it like this, I bet there is a kid out there in the world that plays sm4sh 12 hours a day and more than 3000 matches.....guess what...........that 8 year old boy is still CENSOR DODGE.

BTW WHAT ARE YOU EVEN PRACTICING?
cuz reaction timing isn't the only thing you need practice on.

If you don't want to do all that,
Then play it casually or play like that 8 year old boy that I mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom