• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I just give up with Smash?

Should I stop playing Smash?

• Yes. You are trash and you deserve to get carpal tunnel syndrome.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • No way! You can't just quit because you're losing against completely random people!

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • You suck, but I don't want you getting carpal tunnel. That's way too harsh!

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I don't think you should quit, but I still wish you get carpal tunnel.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere and I've been playing Smash for a year, yet I still get wrecked like a drunk driver on For Glory. For Glory, dude. It's 11:00 right now and I was playing minutes ago. Is that a hindering factor? And a few hours ago, I drank coffee in a large sized mug, filled all the way up, twice. Could that affect how I play? And a few hours ago, I was meeting some pretty easier players, but as it got later, people were getting harder. Was this just me getting tired or is it the fact that little kids go to bed early and I'm just playing against some crazy skilled adults? Regardless if even all of these are true, it's still no excuse to be playing badly. When I play For Glory, I just keep on getting beaten. The only people I can beat with relative ease are the people I know, but when I compete against the world, feeling all skilled, I can barely get any hits on people and they just combo me like Sandbag. I was playing against a Palutena for about 30-60 minutes and I only won one or twice. Do you think it's time to quit? I really don't want to though..

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If you enjoy playing, I wouldn't give it up. If you do not enjoy it, then move on.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
For Glory is an entirely different experience and one that does not provide a good test for your skills. For Glory is full of many scrubby, spammy players that cannot truly test your skill level. If you can beat your pals, it is clear that you have some skill, therefore you should not give up. Fight people from here. Try to find a scene. Learn how to fight those awful FG players. Keep Smashing if you want to Smash. It's that simple. The more you play, the more you shall learn.

Eventually, you will reach a point where you can combat legit and spammy players alike. Trust me, you'll get there.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Losing in FG is meaningless unless you're on the road to becoming a wifi warrior. If you want to play with meaningful players online, just head to Anther's Ladder; otherwise try to find offline tournaments in your region to attend.

Last edited:

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Losing in FG is meaningless unless you're on the road to becoming a wife warrior. If you want to play with meaningful players online, just head to Anther's Ladder; otherwise try to find offline tournaments in your region to attend.
What is Anther's Ladder? How do I get to it?

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Hey, why did my avatar and mains change? At least, that's what's shown on my device.

TAN-MAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
EvitanArt
Hey, why did my avatar and mains change? At least, that's what's shown on my device.
It's the "Emblemboards" april fool's thing, and it is hilarious. XD

At any rate, I say don't quit, keep at it. Sure FG may not be a true reflection of offline or tournament play, but if you're getting consistently beaten on FG like...all the time[like me lol], then you need to improve.

Make sure you aren't just playing and hoping to get better. Try to identify what you are doing wrong. Try to recognize why you are getting his or why you can't hit your opponent. Take notes, watch top players who play your character and see what they are doing and why they may be successful. Save your replays, rewatch them and see if you can identify the flaws in your play. Share those replays with others, see what they have to say about how you can improve.

I was in this same situation recently, but I found a small local tournament to go to and did better than I thought I would so ignited my fire for improvement a bit. Then I found some people to play with locally and playing with them just for a couple hours and getting some tips while I was playing helped immensely.

If you enjoy playing don't give up, but getting good at this game can be difficult especially if you're newer to competitive games and not accustomed to thinking about how you can get better and what you're during wrong while you play.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere and I've been playing Smash for a year, yet I still get wrecked like a drunk driver on For Glory. For Glory, dude. It's 11:00 right now and I was playing minutes ago. Is that a hindering factor? And a few hours ago, I drank coffee in a large sized mug, filled all the way up, twice. Could that affect how I play? And a few hours ago, I was meeting some pretty easier players, but as it got later, people were getting harder. Was this just me getting tired or is it the fact that little kids go to bed early and I'm just playing against some crazy skilled adults? Regardless if even all of these are true, it's still no excuse to be playing badly. When I play For Glory, I just keep on getting beaten. The only people I can beat with relative ease are the people I know, but when I compete against the world, feeling all skilled, I can barely get any hits on people and they just combo me like Sandbag. I was playing against a Palutena for about 30-60 minutes and I only won one or twice. Do you think it's time to quit? I really don't want to though..
A misperception about FG is that, and I hate to use the derogatory term, scrubs and spammers only inhabit the mode. This, of course, is not at all true. Conversely, For Fun is not casual turf. Sure, from time to time you'll get taunt partiers, but for the most part, your opponents as expected, are out for blood.

It is important to remember too that Smash requires your full undivided attention, and that includes being awake as well. Needless o say, if you are going on FG, and you normally wake up in the morning, that would be the best time to fight. Smash is much like driving, you can't be distracted and you can't be tired. Being awake and alert is imperative to Smash performance, so rest up and claw into your opponents.

The only way that coffee you had would affect you adversely is if it causes you to have tremors or panic. Any stimulant will normally help, over hinder your performance in Smash, but it will do you no good if its giving you panic attacks and tremors that divert your attention from the game.

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
DO NOT QUIT BELIEVE IN THE MARMAR THAT BELIEVES IN YOU!

ON AND FORWARD USE BAYONETTA!

BlueDaruma888

Smash Cadet
Heya! I'm actually in a pretty similar position as you are in that I lose match after match on For Glory. Come to think of it, it's actually been some time since I've last won... Sure lag is a thing, but considering that my opponent was also having a similar experience and won anyway really doesn't help a whole lot...

BUT. Will I stop playing Sm4sh anytime soon? Hell no. Granted, I don't exactly plan on going professional anytime soon, but Sm4sh is a pretty big game. There was a duration of about a couple of months where I got tired of getting my *** beat/ crawling back to the training room, and I tried doing the challenge board. Maybe it's just the completionist within me, but trying to complete some of the toughest challenges in the game and then seeing the picture as a mark of your achievement has been incredibly gratifying (similarly, coming onto the boards to bathe in the mutual hate towards cheap *** level 9 CPUs in Classic 9.0 also offers a powerful therapeutic effect). Of course, Sm4sh obviously isn't solely a single player experience, so it also helped to play casually against friends every now and then and let loose from all of that competitive pressure. At the end of the day, it is still just a game for me.

On the days that I do feel competitive, perhaps it's because I play Shulk and love playing as him, but I've found that there's always a new technique to learn and master (be it general stuff like perfect pivots, or character specifics like MALLC), and being able to finally apply it in actual combat makes it all the more satisfying. It really does help too that despite how unfortunately toxic some members of the Sm4sh community can be, this board has also been incredibly supportive in helping me improve (not-so-subtle shoutout to the board I guess... but seriously. I've learned so much just from being on here).

That's been my experience with the game, in any case. Hope it was helpful!

Last edited:

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
I lose half the matches I play in locals all the time and I still play there despite losing $5 each time

D

Deleted member 269706

Don't play FG and you'll enjoy it a lot more

RadicaX

Smash Rookie
You are just psyching yourself out. Here is a quick tip though, that helped me a lot back in my Street Fighter days, learn the match ups. Knowing what works, and what does not in a match, will allow you to destroy players, even if they have higher levels of tech skill. Does not matter if they can pull off insane trick combos if they can not land it.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
I used to think similarly to how you're thinking right now. What I think you should do is just train. Find someone in your local area who's similar to you in skill level and soon, you'll see that you're slowly improving. It's not that you're bad or should stop playing, it's that you need to play MORE.

Experience is the best sandwich, and Smash is gonna serve it to you 24/7. And when they keep giving you sandwiches, you better be ready to wolf 'em down.

Khao

Smash Lord
**** this question.

Do you want to quit?

No?

Then don't. It's as simple as that. No one can decide for you. There's no "should I keep playing?", the real question is "am I still enjoying this game?" and if you are, then keep playing. There's no reason for anyone to quit playing a game if they don't want to. Unless it's for health issues or something, but I'm guessing that's not the case here.

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
DO NOT QUIT BELIEVE IN THE MARMAR THAT BELIEVES IN YOU!

ON AND FORWARD USE BAYONETTA!
He made another thread about his situation. Let him use the characters he wants to use. Or, if you're joking with him about Bayonetta, then ha ha very funny. (This is very obviously sarcastic

Top Bottom