• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I get Star Fox 64 3D or Fire Emblem Awakening? (solved)

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I have been looking into getting Star Fox for a while, so I decided I should start with the first game released that I can actually play without buying a Super Nintendo. Star Fox 64 3D was then released. I decided I would get that. I played Star Fox 64 via Brawl, and the gameplay is amazing.

However, recently I've seen Fire Emblem Awakening. I played the demo, but I don't like the battles (I'm more of a Pokémon battle style guy). However, I've found that its story is amazing.

So my question is this: should I get Star Fox or Fire Emblem?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk

On a serious note, when it comes to games, you should always judge gameplay over everything else. So if you don't like the battle system in Awakening but you like the story, then you should either avoid it (and maybe watch playthroughs online) or you could try to adapt to it. It isn't worth buying a game that doesn't have fun gameplay (Note: I've never played Awakening though I have played Advance Wars and FE: Sacred Stones).

As for Star Fox, it's a fun game that uses the 3D effect well and you'll probably enjoy it, though it's worth noting that there aren't that many major changes from the original game aside from graphics and the ability to save in between levels. If you don't mind these features, you can pick up the original game on virtual console for $10 (which is much cheaper than the 3DS version as of this writing). If you're thinking of getting the 3D version, I suggest getting a good used copy for about $20, since $30-40 is too expensive imo.

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
Depends on your interests.

Star Fox 64 3D is an enhanced port of a classic shoot-em-up. Fire Emblem Awakening is a turn based strategy RPG.

If you're experienced with TBS games, you'll find Fire Emblem Awakening's mechanics imbalanced. Weak level design. Story is servicable. Normal mode is insanely easy. Hard mode is insanely hard. No in between.

But I'd still take the depth of a decent strategy game over a port of a 15 year old game that I didn't personally care for.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I got 64 3D because FE's battle system annoyed me too much, and it's now one of my favorite games. Problem solved.

Top Bottom