• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I get back into PM?

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
So I've played PM ever since 2.1 came out, & loved it a lot all the way through 3.02. Then 3.5 came, and I felt like it was just complete garbage. Smash 4 came out shortly after, and I've been playing that ever since. Now, I'm NOT trying to start a Smash 4 vs. PM pissing contest, and any trashing of either game will be completely ignored. My question is if 3.6 is 'better' than 3.5, or at least more fun to play? I know a lot of people didn't really care for 3.5 that much, so I figured most "improvements" in your all's eyes will likely be seen as such in mine as well.

If it helps to know my playstyle for the game, here's a list of characters I played in PM before quitting, in a very rough order of "mainliness:"
:link2::toonlink::ganondorf::marth::ike::roypm::lucario::mewtwopm::samus2:
I play :4sheik: in Smash 4 as well.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
takes less than 5 minutes to find out yourself.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
My Wii is out of commission for the time being, you can't use GC controllers on Wii U, and I have very limited data caps, so I don't want to download it just to never use it again.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Ganon's on that list and not at the top of the manliness line up? And you quit playing after he got float, aka "I'll sit here and contemplate your life decisions before I crush your skull"?

Bruh.jpg

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Ganon's on that list and not at the top of the manliness line up?
I think you misread, I wrote mainliness, as in, the characters that I played the most/best are towards the left, and my more secondary-ish are towards the right, although I didn't think extremely hard about the order, so it's not exact.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Oh, that makes a lot more sense, then : o

And I totally did misread it, my apologies on that.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
The biggest reason why everyone felt that 3.5 sorta sucked initially was because the whole cast got nerfed, and justifiably so - everyone felt great in 3.02 and earlier versions because many characters were given too much free reign and buffed a bit too much. 3.5 was sort of like...reigning in a bunch of partying college students. They're not gonna want to get back to studies, but there needs to be some order aha

In terms of how this affects you and other players who quit because of nerfs (and believe me, I can relate...I nearly did over 3.5 Zelda until I grew used to her), you're likely to find that at least some of your many mains may feel a bit better. 3.5 was one of the few updates with mostly all nerfs, for reasons described above. 3.6 beta has featured a good number of fixes/compensations to make up for those nerfs, and buffs to some others that were maybe hit a bit too hard. Off the top of my head, I'll warn you that Lucario got wrecked, Roy and Ike got nerfs, and Tink has a bit of an awkward glitch with his F-smash that causes him to taunt (disruptive to gameplay, and will obviously be removed once the beta period ends). Everyone else you mentioned either received minor buffs or was left alone, iirc.

But regardless of who was buffed/nerfed/whatever, given that you've spent time away from the game, many of the changes may not be as inherently obvious to you as when you went straight from good-old-broken-OP 3.02 to nerf-heaven 3.5. You might need to take some time re-adjusting to the general physics differences, but I'd give it a shot.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
3.5 killed the fun of the game for me and 3.6 brought it back tenfold. Give it a shot whenever you can. You may find you'll like it again.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Just be aware of the horrible new announcer that's new in 3.6 now, even more cringeworthy than Theytah's Project Monolith that got made some time ago. That's just my opinion though.

Zarkdion

Smash Apprentice
I just saw that actually, never heard of this guy before but let's hope he is better than the other two.
If the voice he used to announce his LoL announcer pack is any indication, then I don't think we will have any problems.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
use to main PM during 3.02. so far hating 3.6. 3.5 was bearable after a taking a hiatus to melee. and 3.6 is prob guna be nail in the coffin for me to just play melee.

uncalled for nerfs to certain chars that i enjoyed playing. i played PM cause of all the different characters with pocket spacies for when **** goes down. and u nerf all those chars? makes it a lot less fun.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
give it a shot!

...yet I would wait till the game is out of beta and declared mostly done by fans and staff alike (both are dedicated to bring the ultimate experience)

Celestis

Smash Ace
People don't care for 3.5? What was wrong with it? I felt is was the best patch.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
3.5 nerfed a lot of character play styles and recoveries, while most where justified, some disliked what happened to their character so much that they took off to old faithful melee to restart and get good at something they KNOW won't change. I know people that did this and they love melee now when they started competitive from older PM releases

that's the current problem with PM and perhaps why it isn't at tornys as much since smash 4... you spend all this time movement with a character just for a gamechanging release to come along and mess up your play style and totally change the game, people get pissed off and think (man why bother? my main got nerfed, lets see what the melee talk is about)

3.5 got ok after awhile yet another release so soon? not even a year in, its like apple release new software every 6 months,

Narpas_sword

that's the current problem with PM and perhaps why it isn't at tornys as much since smash 4... you spend all this time movement with a character just for a gamechanging release to come along and mess up your play style and totally change the game, people get pissed off and think (man why bother? my main got nerfed, lets see what the melee talk is about)

That's not a problem with PM. that's a problem with people.
Many other games get balance patches. Players keep playing.

The good PM players are the ones who are able to learn and adapt.

MLGF

Smash Lord
More or less that.
My character has been nerfed almost consistently since 2.1 (except 2.6) and I've still been playing the game and him.

Also, I'm looking at the nerfs and honestly... they're pretty small overall. I have no idea why it would push anyone overboard.

Top Bottom