• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Should I buy the GameCube controller adapter thingy?

RustyVillager

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! So I have a problem that's been bothering me for quite a while now and I finally got off my lazy butt to make a forum account and ask xD

I first started playing SSBM on the GameCube but never got into it until Brawl, and at that time I didn't know you could lift up the top part of the Wii and attach the GameCube controller in (I was an idiot) so I got used to the Wii Remote + Nunchuk.

The problem is, on SSB4 I've noticed that a lot of times when I'm pressing buttons like attack, shield, or jump, my character doesn't really respond to it and just gets beat up-- I've noticed that a lot of the times I'm just not skilled enough to face some people on 1v1 for glory, but at the same time I've noticed that even when I'm pressing up + B to recover, my character would just do nothing (even if I just continually press the B button). If I get an adapter, would my controls be a lot better? I know a huge chunk of it is based off my skill, but I honestly do have times when I try to move one way or recover, the character just goes idle... :(

Thanks everyone!

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Personally, I also use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, and I know what you mean. Sometimes button inputs feel a bit laggy, but I'm too comfortable with the feel of the controls to switch. For me, though, the inputs aren't really that laggy a lot.

I might not invest in a GameCube controller adapter just yet if I were you. A quick internet search shows that the official adapters are about $80 right now, and I don't think they're going down too soon. If you do decide to get one, I would wait for the price to go down, or possibly get the Mayflash adapter instead. I would personally trust official stuff more, though.

Have you tried using the GamePad? You can always give it a try. I find it to be a pretty alright controller, and it has hardly any input lag- for me, at least.

RustyVillager

Smash Rookie
Thanks Brandon! Your experience is just like mine! Everytime I mess up I keep thinking that a wired gamecube controller would be much better because there wouldn't be any lag. And I get exactly what you mean by being comfortable with the feel of the controls, because I tried using the wii pad and it just didn't feel right, it felt bulky compared to the slim controller and nunchuk :D

I guess I should just improve my skills and reactions a bit more, that might alleviate some of the existing problems I have. Just curious, what controls do you put onto your D-Pad? I'm too used to grabbing with the side D-Pad and I'm still working on short hopping, but I really wish I had that c-stick ability the gamecube has because whenever I try to do a bowling-ball smash with the villager I keep accidentally doing a side tilt or just plain ole' falling-off-the-stage. :(

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Yeah, the Wii Remote and Nunchuk isn't as responsive as some other controllers, but at the end of the day, I think what matters most is the player's ability and preferences. If you like to use a certain control scheme, there's nothing wrong with it, and you can always adapt to how it affects your game in time.

I don't have too much issue with the GamePad, mostly just because I tried using it for a while, and frankly, it does feel pretty similar to the 3DS, controls-wise, which is pretty okay to me. But yeah, it's very different in feeling from the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. And it does have a c-stick for those who like one.

I only use down on the D-pad to use special moves (so I use B to jump, my control scheme is a bit weird). For some reason, hitting B to jump felt right to me, and using down on the D-pad for specials felt odd at first, but now I'm totally used to it.

Ah, man. Yes, tilting vs. jabbing the control stick. I admittedly have this problem too sometimes, but when I recently played a bit of Melee, I found myself having the same problem with my GameCube controller, and a lot more often. Maybe it was an old controller, but it frustrated me. It reminds me that I never really cared much for the GameCube controller- not that I dislike it, but I just prefer other controllers more.

A c-stick would be useful if you have that problem. I'll use it when playing with the GamePad if for some reason I have problems doing a forward smash to the point of frustration, but I've honestly never bothered to actually integrate the use of a c-stick into my gameplay. I mean, I don't think there's much use in doing so if I use a control scheme that doesn't have one.

But hey, I'm happy to exchange thoughts with you.

RustyVillager

Smash Rookie
Thanks again Brandon! That makes me feel better about my current situation xD I've never liked the Gamecube Controller as well, it felt clunky to me :p I think I'm going to try to get better on both the gamepad and the nunchuk!

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Personally I like the Pro Controller, aka "the Gamepad without the huge screen in the middle and better triggers". Ordered 2 for $40 from Japan and have not regretted it-- and gives the added bonus of giving people who are frightened by the Wiimote a more familiar controller layout.

HerrAlex

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerrAlex
Personally I like the Pro Controller, aka "the Gamepad without the huge screen in the middle and better triggers". Ordered 2 for $40 from Japan and have not regretted it-- and gives the added bonus of giving people who are frightened by the Wiimote a more familiar controller layout.
You got two Pro Controllers for $40? I got one for over $60. >.<

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Do you or your friends absolutely need a GameCube Controller to play? If yes, then get one. If no, consider getting Classic Controllers or WiiU Pro Controllers instead.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
You got two Pro Controllers for $40? I got one for over $60. >.<
I tried looking up the link I used to order mine, but it looks like the deals are gone. Chances are there was little to no demand for these guys until the great Smashing of 2014 and the subsequent Adapter Depression of slightly later 2014.

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
Since it would be wired directly into the system, the input lag should be less than any wireless means (Any Wii controller, Wii U gamepad, Classic controllers, etc.). The natural input lag is annoying by itself, but coupled with online lag, it makes even the most gluttonous people starving for punishments (ie. someone who repeats attacks that don't work 30 times in a row) a headache to deal with due to getting off scott-free half the time.

Right now, a third party adapter being made by a reputable company is being sold on Play-Asia, which has been the "go to" site for buying import games for years.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I would get the Pro Controller. Not only is is cheaper than getting an adapter, it works for any other Wii U games you get (unlike the gamecube).

I would not stick with the Wii remote/nunchuk for Smash Bros. Less button inputs/options. On my Wii U Pro controller, I have my jumps bounded to the Left bumper button so that I can keep my thumb on the right analog stick for aerials (and use Back air while moving forward and Forward air while moving backward). This is something you cannot at all do with the Wii remote/nunchuk.

I would avoid the gamepad with Smash bros because it's clunky, heavy, hard to end games with it, C-stick is farther away, expensive to replace if it breaks or gets worn out, and is not something you can bring to a tounament because only one gamepad can be connected to a Wii U at a time.
Since it would be wired directly into the system, the input lag should be less than any wireless means (Any Wii controller, Wii U gamepad, Classic controllers, etc.). The natural input lag is annoying by itself, but coupled with online lag, it makes even the most gluttonous people starving for punishments (ie. someone who repeats attacks that don't work 30 times in a row) a headache to deal with due to getting off scott-free half the time.

Right now, a third party adapter being made by a reputable company is being sold on Play-Asia, which has been the "go to" site for buying import games for years.
Whatever lag there is with a controller will be the same for online. Lag online kind of nullifies any controller lag, because it's usually a lot greater. Anyways, from what I've read, bluetooth signals travel very fast, and if there was lag issues with the wii remote, most of it came from the Wii interpreting the signals sent from the bluetooth signal, not the signal itself. Wii U=/=Wii, so we don't know what the lag is with the Wii U Pro controller (this was never actually figured out with the Wii remote on the Wii either). I've read posts around Smashboards saying the gamecube controller has lag on the Wii U too, but just like people saying the Wii U Pro has lag, there is no proof. What I can say is many competitive players are using gamecube controllers and Wii U pro controller with success.

Anyways, if I had a gamecube controller adapter I would do a lag test video where I press shield buttons simultaneously on both the wii u pro and gamecube controllers to see if there is a difference. I don't have one though.

Last edited:

Vangoro

Smash Rookie
I was never able to smoothly use any other controller for smash bros. other than a gamecube controller. When Brawl came out for the Wii U, and my friends only had the nunchuck to use, I would always lose. However, when I would bring over my gamecube controller I would DOMINATE them. Even with SSB4 I had to wait a while to get the gamecube adapter so in the meantime I had to use the gamepad. The gamepad isn't as bad as the nunchuck IMO, but once I got the GC adapter, my performance against players went WAY up. I do hear that many people do like to use the Wii U Pro controller though, I haven't tried it though.

R0Y

Smash Master
Yes, but ONLY at retail price, which is $19.99 plus tax in the US. Screw scalpers, just ignore them. Mine is from a second run, while the adapter may be a limited time only, they'll probably be made until demand calms down a bit. So hurry when you see it available for order on amazon or Nintendo's official site (where it was a for a few hours a few days ago.)

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Do you or your friends absolutely need a GameCube Controller to play? If yes, then get one. If no, consider getting Classic Controllers or WiiU Pro Controllers instead.
Classic Controllers require the adapter as well.

RegularFriend

Smash Rookie
there are also gamecube like controllers that plug into a wii mote that you can use. I haven't used one personally but i've heard they aren't bad and considering how expensive the adapter is, it'll definitely save money to just get a few of those.

Haven't posted enough to post l inks but just look up the Hori battle pad, they are for sale everywhere.

Top Bottom