• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I bother getting into Melee/PM or is there a point?

DavidxRussell

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Smash 4 for a while now, and I think I should branch to a faster game. Should I keep improving on Smash 4 or should I branch to Melee/PM? I don't have a GameCube controller so I may have to do that! LOL #ProController4Lyfe

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing Smash 4 for a while now, and I think I should branch to a faster game. Should I keep improving on Smash 4 or should I branch to Melee/PM? I don't have a GameCube controller so I may have to do that! LOL #ProController4Lyfe
Smash 4 seems pretty shallow based on my impressions, so I'd spend the money on a GCN controller and pick up another Smash on the side if for no other reason than to keep yourself entertained.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
The only reason I play Melee is because I have it. Still enjoy playing as Roy.
PM is fun, but not when alone. If you meet up with a group of friends at a specific day and time (ex: sundays at 10) and play against everyone, then it's worth it.
so If you're comfortable with trying those smash games, I highly suggest.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'd give every game a go and then decide for yourself what you would like to do. Each game has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

If "faster" is what you are going for then I'd definately try PM and Melee out.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I would say it really depends on what "community" is stronger in your area. I would go with the larger of the two communities. If the Smash 4 community is larger than the Melee/PM community, stick with Smash 4 and vice versa. I say this because I think it's usually more fun and competitive in the larger scene, pushing you even more to be better than the others even more compared to what might have happened in the other community.

However, most people would make the argument of sticking with the one you're most comfortable with after trying out the two (or three). I really have no corroboration to this, so good luck expanding upon this.

Last edited:

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
i don't really know what you want people to tell you. i think it's a question you have to answer yourself. have you played melee competitively before? if you haven't, the easiest way to determine whether you should play melee or pm is to play them a lot, either in friendlies at a tournament or through playing the game in some other way. i feel like melee's just a really feel-oriented game, one which you either love or hate the feel of, so you kind of have to play it to figure out whether it's for you.

if you're asking for personal opinions, melee's probably the most popular game in the series and i think it's very apparent that it has a more impressive talent pool than smash 4. it also feels deeper and more challenging, at least to me. there's just so much to learn and so much freedom in movement in the game. if that appeals to you, i'd highly recommend giving it a try.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Well, from my experiences, I've played so much Sm4sh that melee just feels old and Clunky to me and PM doesn't really suite my style persay.

buuuuut... do what you want yo.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
How is melee "clunky" you can actually do stuff in that game. Smash 4 is clunky / janky as hell.
Yeah, I've noticed that what I've played of Smash 4 just feels off. Melee has a lot of response where Smash 4 just kind of floats or does nothing.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yes, you're 15 which means you're at the perfect age to pick up a game and get good at it.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
It'll feel weird seeing people do what we call "techs". These are things that don't exist in smash 4. These so-called "techs" help you improve your gameplay.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
It'll feel weird seeing people do what we call "techs". These are things that don't exist in smash 4. These so-called "techs" help you improve your gameplay.
True. But a few melee "techs" were brought in smash 4. I cant remember which ones though.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
How is melee "clunky" you can actually do stuff in that game. Smash 4 is clunky / janky as hell.
If you say so, I'm not a hardcore melee player so I wouldn't know anything about "L-canceling" and "wavedashing"

I'm just saying from experience that Melee just felt outdated to S**t last time I played it.

(obviously because its a game from 2001 but still)

If your only point for a game from 2001 being outdated is "obviously because its a game from 2001" rather than how well it aged or how it feels versus other players, it has no foundation of its own. In terms of movement and character-specific options, how deep the meta is and how much these is to learn while so much is being discovered, documented, and experimented with to this day, how large the playerbase is, and how much content is pumped out for the game like the upcoming 20XX Tournament Edition, saying it's an outdated game just because it's from 2001 is laughable. It is far from outdated in many, many faucets. Discussion on scenes and tournament play with what someone should play shouldn't be commented on by those who know absolutely nothing of either and don't have the experience yet. It seems like you're trying to discredit Melee for reasons that aren't really there to begin with, and you claim to be okay with him playing it yet object every few posts.

Try out all the games (with friends for at least a few sessions each) or go to a tournament and try friendlies in each without entering brackets if you don't have friends who play Smash. At least play Melee and PM on the side for fun without taking them seriously, when you want to mix things up, and focus strictly on Sm4sh competitively which seems like the best route for you but it's simply a minimum. You can use a Pro Controller in Project M, I'd say try that there. If you don't at least get into Melee/PM every now and then with a group of friends or as competitive games, you're missing out.

You like Mario. He has some sick combos and can do lots of cool things in Melee that he lost in future Smash titles.

You'll get warmed up to their speed eventually. For now, don't worry too much about them, but still branch into them, play them now and then, and try to learn something new each time.

Last edited:

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Yes, especially since Melee is getting more popular every day.
It might feel clunky at first but when you git gud it'll feel better than every other Smash game.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Yes, let us all bash one game senselessly instead of helping the person who started this thread out.

Seriously, lets try to NOT be so predictable next time and just follow the dang thread. Smash 4 is just as much of a valid game to enjoy as Melee.

To the OP, feel free to pick whichever game you want. As I said previously both games have different strengths and weaknesses. Just please don't go to bashing the other game because it isn't your cup of tea. :rolleyes:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
So you're saying you've never watched competitive smash or tutorials on how to use the "Techs"?
(You're profile picture matched pretty well with that comment, haha)

No, I've watched competitive smash before and I know what they are- I'm just saying I wouldn't know how to execute them properly.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Try out all the games (with friends for at least a few sessions each)
Even 64? lol

I've played every smash before, I know how each game feels (including PM) and I personally just enjoy Sm4sh more than the previous installments. (sure, Brawl was pretty fun since I played that alot with friends back in the day)

I'm not sure what I was going for when I stated "Obviously because its a game from 2001"- more personal opinions? I don't know.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I would play melee for life that's the first game i ever owned when i got my GameCube when i bought it back in 2006.
My sadly my brother broke my melee disc from 2006 but i got a new copy of melee back in 2011 it was like 15 bucks on eBay
I'm surprised back then melee wasn't so expensive.
Here some cool combos from smashboards

Last edited:

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Even 64? lol
Especially 64! It's probably my favorite Smash. It's not tech-heavy, you can knock people all over the place, and everything just feels so right when you execute a combo unlike any of the others.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
because smash 4 has no tech
Woah there buddy, there's no need to spread false information. It's minimal, but there's tech. Things such as B-Reverse and Shield Dropping come to mind.

To OP and anyone else in this predicament, play whatever you want, so long as there's a sizable scene around,a group of friends is okay too.
Me personally, I'd recommend PM. It takes the best parts of Melee and puts it with the best parts of Brawl. Couple that with continued support through patching; more characters many of which, if not all of which are viable; and that PM players are cool, I think you got yourself a pretty bangin' game. Course the problem with PM is that being a mod does hurt it's growth.

I guess Melee is cool... You got Fox *cough*broken*cough*

But then you also got 64! I don't play it, but it's really cool. If you wanna see or even do crazy combos, that's the game you have to play! Did I also mention 64 players are some of the chillest people I've met. Problem with 64 is that you may be hard-pressed finding others to play with, but there's always netplay.

Or you can always stick to playing Smash 4. It's not the most tech heavy game, but I don't see that as a problem. It's based more on fundamentals, things like spacing, reading and whatnot. And like PM, it too is getting continued support and DLC. That said, it is the easiest to get into, and due to lack of tech, you are limited in what you can do. The game is also a lot less aggressive than the other entries.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
But then you also got 64! I don't play it, but it's really cool. If you wanna see or even do crazy combos, that's the game you have to play! Did I also mention 64 players are some of the chillest people I've met. Problem with 64 is that you may be hard-pressed finding others to play with, but there's always netplay.
I think that the only reason that I don't play 64 at a proficient skill level is because nobody in my area plays.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
64 relies on powerful combos and some tech.
Melee relies on tech-heavy gameplay and complex combos.
Brawl relies on chaingrabbing, infinites, and other broken tactics.
Smash 4 relies heavily on defensive "read" play and variety in characters.
Project M rolls up 64, Melee, and, unintentionally Smash4 into one amazing mod.

Personally I'd say try all of them.

Top Bottom