• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I be worried...

achtung!

Smash Cadet
If I can't beat a level 9 computer easily?

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way new to the Smash Bros. games. I've been playing for a long time now. Well I did. Then I stopped for a year or two and have tried playing again. I don't have anyone to play with (sadly) so I'm stuck to playing against level 9 computers (1v1) to hone my skills.

I play as Captain Falcon mainly, and I try SHFFLing attacks and stuff, but I always make mistakes or something goes wrong.

I know the advanced techniques don't just come to you, but I think I'm severely behind. I'd like to be able to play competitively, but I don't know if I'm cut out for it.

I guess what I want is reaffirmation. I don't know. Maybe even a tutor or something, that'd be pretty cool.

Anyways, I'm sort of hoping Brawl is different enough that pros won't be pro right off the bat with it, give some of the newer people a chance, haha.

Razed

Smash Ace
Two things:

One: Yes, you should be very worried. If you play at all competently, all CPU players should be easy as cake.

Two: However, playing CPUs is nothing like playing actual people, so you might be a little better when it comes to an actual game.

blooagga

Smash Journeyman
wow a month ago i had the same exact case, I could only 3 stock level nines (with cheap cpu killing tactics) and I could barely perform the advanced techs in battle. I just played a hour every day in training mode doing my short hops and wavedashes and then tested on cpus.

baheffron

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't train against a lvl 9 comp to learn advanced techs on. Just use a lvl 1 to learn all your advanced techs and whatnot. It'll take about an hour a day for about a week or so before you are proficient in shffling and wavedashing, so don't get too discouraged. After you have the techs down though, getting better comes alot faster and the game becomes more fun so it is worth it.

achtung!

Smash Cadet
Two things:

One: Yes, you should be very worried. If you play at all competently, all CPU players should be easy as cake.

Two: However, playing CPUs is nothing like playing actual people, so you might be a little better when it comes to an actual game.
I made some mistakes (I kept trying to raptor boost back onto the stage) and stupid stuff like that, but sometimes I just couldn't hit. I might use aerial attacks too much, even though that's where Captain Falcon shines.

I dunno. I just need more practice or a genuine tutor, lol.

By the way, it might be important to say that I had no problem beating computers at all before I knew anything about wavedashing or short hopping or any of that. I guess it was such a new concept for me (and a lot more difficult to be good at) that I had problems adapting.

Razed

Smash Ace
I made some mistakes (I kept trying to raptor boost back onto the stage) and stupid stuff like that, but sometimes I just couldn't hit. I might use aerial attacks too much, even though that's where Captain Falcon shines.

I dunno. I just need more practice or a genuine tutor, lol.

By the way, it might be important to say that I had no problem beating computers at all before I knew anything about wavedashing or short hopping or any of that. I guess it was such a new concept for me (and a lot more difficult to be good at) that I had problems adapting.
Truth be told, though I never come close to losing vs any computer, I'm just getting into competitive play now, and I'm being tutored by a Canadian pro called Damax. First lesson he taught me was to never go into a match expecting the outcome (regardless of win or lose). It affects your gameplay drastically. Just go in, do your best, and play smart.

achtung!

Smash Cadet
Ah, good advice. Normally I go in thinking "I can beat Pikachu, right?" Wrong. Hahaha. I guess I need to just practice more (although a tutor would be awesome).

D

Deleted member

I wish i had a tutor. Anyways, dont worry bout it. Just fight lvl 1s till u can do WD, SHFFL, and the like without even thinking, cuz its hard to do it with lvl 9s. I can 3 or 4 stock lvl 9s with my mains with relative ease.

Lorcl678

Smash Apprentice
I completely disagree. You should never be worried at all because CPUs and humans play completely differently. Humans may actually learn from their mistakes, resulting in you trying to change your strategy during the match. CPUs do EXACTLY THE SAME THING. If someone asks you, "Hey, I heard you're good, can you beat 3 lvl 9 CPUs," just say "CPUs do not affect my skill level toward humans." If you're losing to CPUs, it doesn't mean you're bad, it's just probably that you're thinking too much. Just abuse the same thing like side stepping every time the CPU tries to grab you. Abuse ALL tactics =). Hope that answers your question.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Not being able to beat CPUs doesn't necessarily mean your bad - it means you are probably over-thinking, like Lorcl678 said. CPUs run into fully charged smash-attacks, and don't play a spacing game, so try to play against a CPU very calmly and efficiently, and don't over think them - just wait for the to come to you.
It doesn't matter how long or fast it takes for you to beat a CPU, because they're just that, CPUs.

Also, if you're in the New York area, I'd be more than happy to tutor you up to my level (which is more than proficient enough to compete, but not amazing). ;3

ISeeTheLight

Smash Rookie
Yeah I agree, vsing CPU's is a different ball game to vsing humans. To beat CPUs, I just find a flaw in the way the AI thinks, an excellent example being what many others have said, about CPUs walking into charging smashes. And spam cheap techniques. (lol missile spamming). But hey, I don't think you should be worried, I mean just try what everyone here has explained to you and you should be able to get a victory. And also Burntsocks had a good point about getting used to teching and other techniques against lower level CPUs. It's not that good practising in the real thing (a level 9), unless your confident enough with your moves and can do them 100% (or near) of the time. :)

achtung!

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll practice on lvl 1s from now on. Maybe I can find someone to play with, that would be better.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
CPUs have flawless timing with their power shielding and punish you with the one-two punches without DI. But they're not a real fight, so don't look too far into it.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Keep practicing, like people have said already, it's not like versing against a human player because even the best human players can make mistakes now and again, they're not fixed programs. You should ber able to defeat 3 level 9s against you when you're at a moderate competative stage. Psy.

Top Bottom