• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I be watching pro play?

Nengar94

Smash Rookie
Personally, pro play had helped me see smash in a different way. Some if not most play in tournaments almost every other week, and they do things naturally, such as tech chase, perfect shield, reading air dodges...etc. It also helps just to see a certain matchup, I recommend watching armada or ally to start off, both amazing players. Dont get stuck in the streamer loop, since they dont play as professionally as others. Also ESAM is good, best pikachu player In my opinion. Learned a lot from him and I dont even play pikachu.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Pro matches help to see how you can improve your own playstyle. Picture yourself in their shoes and imagine what you would do in a certain situation.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
You can learn a lot of character specific tech and neutral play by watching pros and trying to implement what they do into your gameplay. I highly recommend learning how to win neutral yourself before delving too deep into pro play, so you have fundamentals to build upon.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Nah.

Yeet Smash has some good videos though. Check those out and you’ll pick up some pro play in the process of also watching something that’s entertaining.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Online isn't very good and has its own meta basically, so you wouldn't learn as much as watching a pro play in tournament settings. Watching tournaments is a good eye opener to see what true potential players can do with the game.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
In person play is the best route for improvement as you have a physical person to talk with and no lag to deal with.

As for pro matches, watching them is great for crafting strategies and building your understanding of neutral/combo game. It helps to watch the video with an objective in mind rather than just watching it for entertainment. I like to pause at certain situations and ask why they made a certain decision.

Top Bottom