• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should i be practicing on lvl 9 cpus?

FrostTheKing

Smash Rookie
I just recently started trying to play smash competitively so im trying to learn techniques like wave dashing, L canceling, short hopping , etc. I learned them playing training mode but when i try to see how they work in battle and try fighting a lvl 9 cpu i just cant do that great i can dominate lvl 9's without these techniques so i feel its just the cpus uncanny ability to grab and predict where im going is the reason but at the same time i feel im doing something wrong. so im wondering am i just not using these things right or am i just using the wrong things as practices?

Booster

Smash Lord
If you can practice with a live action human then you should practice with them

lkan

Smash Rookie
Husband gave me some great advice which was, when learning new techniques you will often loose games you would normally have won. It that sense start trying to play each game to learn rather than to win and slowly you will see improvement.

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
Personally, I'd say that you should be playing against level 7's instead of 9's (Make an exception for Ness though) since 7's will change their DI, while 9's always DI up and away.

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
Practice against level 1s only for combos exclusively. In terms of ATs, you will lose more often because you're not hot-wired to use them. They are tricky, and hard to learn movement options which can only be attained through experience. In a month or so you should be good.

I say only level 1s because by practicing against level 9s you need to think, or at least mix up your option, so you do this in real battles as well, making you worse. Level 1s don't have this effect because you use them as ragdolls, or training dummies. Playing real people is the only real way to get good at mindgames, or in other words, half the game.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Practicing against CPU is good for temporary practice and getting used to using ATs in the heat of battle. I would recommend lvl 7 or 8. My biggest issue is using ATs in a fight. I can use them consistently in training but when it comes to an actual match, even with CPU, my wavedashes are inconsistent and I full hop way more than I want to. It just takes a mix of muscle memory and relaxation when it comes to performing good, consistent ATs.

Staying in the forums and watching combo vids are a good way to learn some combos that can be used against CPU. Punishes are a good thing to learn as CPU will do some predictable things so you can learn how to punish their mistakes.

Of course, nothing is better than playing with another person. Especially one that is your skill level or a little better. Also remember, now that you're learning new things you're probably going to play worse at first because you will be thinking more than just playing. Just hang in there and best of luck to you!!

Ionsword

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ionsword
CominI'll stick to going to either Lvl 1 CPU at 99 Stocks (Unless you have alot of time on your hands), Lvl 7's or training mode which will allow you to train AT.

Top Bottom