• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should future Smash Bros games have different gameplay?

Should future Smash Bros games have different gameplay?

• Total voters

AveryisAwesome

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kingytp546
Should future Smash Bros games have different gameplay? For example, should it have gameplay similar to Kingdom Hearts/Legend of Zelda/Quest 64:
Or perhaps, Sonic and Mario gameplay?

Khao

Smash Lord
Smash defining feature is its gameplay, so no, you're no longer making a Smash game at that point.

If you're asking for a separate crossover game with some sort of action-adventure gameplay, I don't see why not. But calling it Super Smash Bros would be a terrible idea.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
What? No! Smash bros is unique, why change it to something else? A cross-over with other nintendo characters could be cool though, if done right. It's my dream to see ''The Legend of Kirby'' with toon link and kirby.

AveryisAwesome

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kingytp546
Smash defining feature is its gameplay, so no, you're no longer making a Smash game at that point.

If you're asking for a separate crossover game with some sort of action-adventure gameplay, I don't see why not. But calling it Super Smash Bros would be a terrible idea.
It's not a terrible idea really, it proably be a spinoff game. Plus, many franchises have spinoffs.(Known as fillers.)
Why change perfection?
Sometimes the gameplay needs to change.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I always wanted to see Super Smash Bros. As a spin off. Like an all out RPG. But I know now Nintendo will just make you but amiibos to play as your favorite Nintendo icon.

But going back to smash itself. I only wanted them to add one more button cuz I feel a lot of character have so much potential for more moves but are reduced to only A+B for the most part. Having customizable movesets was difinatley a step in the right direction. But a third button to me would be great. That's 4 more moves! Other than that why mess with something so perfect?

Wombo194

Smash Rookie
Is this post a joke. Why would future smash games turn into an entirely different genre with a different identity.

Last edited:

TeamEvil

Smash Rookie
Perhaps if in the future Nintendo does a dual console release again they could try making the handheld version different. That said then there would be no point calling it Super Smash Bros.

PeterJude

Smash Ace

Maybe they can stick a number or letter on the start or end of Smash and just call that a day... seems the Nintendo marketing way.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
The way I see it kinda happening. It would be only if its made by a different company and it gets a different name (Super Kart Bros. for example).
So, no. But I'm up for any kind of adventure game with the universe of Smash Bros. Subspace Emissary is underrated and instead of being denied from Smash Bros, it should grow into a separate game.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
The way I see it kinda happening. It would be only if its made by a different company and it gets a different name (Super Kart Bros. for example).
So, no. But I'm up for any kind of adventure game with the universe of Smash Bros. Subspace Emissary is underrated and instead of being denied from Smash Bros, it should grow into a separate game.
If it were to grow into it's own series then we are gonna need so deeper gameplay mechanics and upgrades. Also better enemies and boss battles. But id rather see Smash turn into a RPG. Tell me none of you wouldn't play it?!

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
A Nintendo based Kingdom Hearts is my dream yo! But as a separate thing. Keep Smash Bros as it is (but perhaps have a third type of attack cuz we don't need two jump buttons)

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If you want a different style of game, it should be a spin off.

In fact, there was almost a Nintendo All-Stars action game. It later became what we know as The Wonderful 101.

So yeah. @ Flaxr XIII Flaxr XIII said it best. Make the game you think Smash should become as a separate series.

Khao

Smash Lord
It's not a terrible idea really, it proably be a spinoff game. Plus, many franchises have spinoffs.(Known as fillers.)
Smash already is a spin-off, it's barely a thing of its own, as it's using elements from other games.

The one thing Smash has that's not taken from other game series (other than stuff like the special bosses like Master Hand) is its unique, fast-paced, simple yet deep gameplay that combines elements from fighting games, platformers, and a twist of its own to do something new in place of health systems.

Take any of that away, and you're taking away Smash's core concept. Take away Smash's core concept and you no longer have Smash, but an entirely different crossover game.

I'm all for a new Nintendo crossover game of a different genre, but it would no longer be Smash and it'd be silly to even treat them as a part of the same "series."

Last edited:

Luigi789

Smash Rookie
NNID
Luigi789
:bluejump:i personally dont think they should change the gameplay its perfect the way it is but i would like an 8 player smash that would be pretty cool

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I would not be against the idea of making a spin-off rpg or something using SSB-specific characters, changing its core gameplay would completely ruin it.

I get what you mean, and it could be interesting.(you can tell which game I really like by my avatar alone, well, maybe) But as a side game. You probably could've made the Opening Post more clear that you wanted an ideal spin-off related to Smash, though.

ReynTime

Smash Rookie
Smash, but in an RPG format, is something that I really wanted a while back, the idea has a ton of potential, especially since Subspace had a pretty nice story without dialogue. A game where I level up a party consisting of Fox and Captain Falcon to stop Bowser and Ganondorf from obtaining Metroids just sounds cool, just don't see it happening.
Would never call it Smash Bros. though, maybe some terribly cheesy similar name like Stats Bros

Top Bottom