• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should dog owners be forced by law to put up a fence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ender_Wiggen

Smash Apprentice
As a runner I have to deal with people who let their dogs run wild in their yards.
When I run by they sometimes run out into the street. I don't really care if the dog
"just wants to make friends"; cause I can't tell the difference between that and it
wanting to chew off my leg. Also there are already leach laws, so fence laws would
not be a large extension.

Ness2002

Smash Journeyman
You've got a good point, maybe there should be a law, but depending on what kind of dog. My neighbour has a Jack Russel, sure it's hyper but it ain't gonna kill you. Maybe like a Labrodor or something, a big dog in other words.

SnorSnor

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't like how people don't fence up there dogs or have no leash on them and let them loose. At one time, when my brother was at a soccer game or practicing, my mom and I would walk up to see him play. There would be a bunch of dogs just running around freely, with some having leashes dragged on the ground with the dog! This other guy was holding the leash, but the dog was let loose. It's crazy.
This is a real noisance (sp?), because we also have a dog and don't want other dogs trying to jump around and things like that. Plus, my dog is very crazy (playful) around other dogs, and it gets very annoying.

You have a good point. To have a dog running up to me without a leash or anything would be pretty scary. You just don't know what it'll do.

Owners should be forced to do something or be fined some money. There is already a law and laws are meant to be followed.

<small>[ June 09, 2002, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: SnorSnor ]</small>

krillin1986

Smash Champion
You made a good point... Sometimes you see dogs just wondering about and stuff..... and it's quite scary wondering if it's gonna not even mess with you, or like you said, chew off your leg lol... I don't think it should be a law to have a fence if you have a dog, because heck, sometimes the dog still manages to get out... Most people with dogs do have fences though in my neighborhood, cause its much easier letting there dog out the door than tieing it up and stuff... Heck, there's this one dog, next door, that the lady watches for her granddaughter sometimes, and it's a rottweiler, and quite big, and the fence is a regular size fence... I get scared to go outside when the dog is over there for the chance that it might try jumping over the fence... but i think it's mostly all bark and no bite ^_^

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Laws already exist that say dog owners must take care of their dogs. This means keeping their dogs on their own property. If you have a problem with a dog chasing you when you haven't trespassed, file a complaint. They will either train their dog or stop letting it loose. Either way, you're fine. Mandatory fencing is a bad idea, it forces owners of harmless dogs to waste time and money on fencing. Mandatory responsibility should be in affect in all aspects of society, and in this case, it is.

-B

RossMan4Life

BRoomer
BRoomer
A good point to mention is that fenced can really detract from the appearance of a home. I know I wouldn't want to be forced to have a fence if it would make my home look like a piece.

Ender_Wiggen

Smash Apprentice
Here's the problem bee. Most people believe that their property extends all the way down to the street. So if whenever a car comes by I have to step up on their lawns and deal with whatever comes running out of their backyard. A fence would create somewhat of a sidewalk area. Also when you talk about complaing to local authorities. That would not work cause they would not care. The only reason the would is if I filed some type of civil suit. And I am sure that would help alot....

RossMan4Life not all fences detract from people's property. But large, barking dogs do detract from their neighbors.

Of corse the law could be that people who get a dog have to sign a waiver that says that if their dog has X number of complaints about harrasing people while off their property they would have to build a fence. This would give power to people to file complaints and it might help people keep better track off their dog/s.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
I don't know what kind of roads you have where you live, but where I live, there's enough room for a runner and a car at the same time. And you don't have a right not to be scared. If the dog chases you into the road, you have a problem. If it runs to the edge of the yard and barks, you don't.
It's a matter of rights. You do not have the right to absolute peace and no neighbors. (Though there is a right against unreasonable annoyances)
Your neighbor does have the right to a dog, and he also has a right to a fenceless property. Individual rights supercede the rights of others.

-B

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Absolutely not. It's other people's problems if they venture out into other people's yards, and it's the owner's problem for not having a good leesh attached to the dog. There's not too many problems with this, but there has been some accidents.

People should keep their dogs contained with a tough leesh, and other people should stay away from other's people's yards, especially if the dog is growling at them and looks very angry.

PorCorpWis

Smash Ace
For once, a mundane debate.

I often run or walk through my neighborhood and it's irritating to see giant, frothing dogs that want nothing better than to chew my legs off. It's a good thing that they are behind fences. There are also cute little puppies that aren't so irritating. Just as long as the dog isn't dangerous, I don't care if it's behind a fence. I once saw an episode of Law & Order where a couple had a dog that they *thought* was cute and playful... until they let it off its leash and it nearly decapitated some girl. They were sent to jail for not being responsible for their dog for quite a long time, over 10 years I think. I don't know why I included that, but it seemed sort of relevant when I thought of it...

<small>[ June 11, 2002, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: PorCorpWis ]</small>

Ender_Wiggen

Smash Apprentice
Bee what part of CT do you live in; north, south, east, middle? I have never heard of east hampton. In Southern CT, by the sound, most of our roads fit two cars with no room left for people and there is no sidewalk. Also people drive like they want to hit you. I had this one old lady almost run me over. She would have if I didn't jump to the right. But more to the point, if you had read my last post you would have seen I was pushing for the fence law to be put up as a punishment to those who don't keep track of their dogs. Also I'm not to pissed at the barking dogs although they are annoying as **** . Its the ones that come out into the street and bare their teeth and snarl.

Devilkoopa

Smash Lord
Good points because one time I was walking my dog on a leash (my dog does not like to be annoyed) and there were two big dogs. we learned that one of the dogs was trained to come back, but the other we didnt find out about. So i believe that the people who dont put leashes on their dogs should be forced to put of a fench. Besides, I live in NY and NOBODY has a front yard.

the_puff

Smash Apprentice
I don't think fences should be mandatory. The best course of action is for people to be responsible for their dogs. If their dog leaves their yard, its owner should be responsible for anny damage it causes.

In a lot of cases, it doesn't matter. I live in a suburb of Indianapolis, and we have several families in my neighborhood who let their dogs leave the yard. None of the dogs ever cause problems, and a lot of the neighbors enjoy seeing the dogs. The only people who fence in their dogs are the ones with mean dogs. No one else should have to.

Zootematix

Artist formally known as ToadBanjoConker
BRoomer
They definately should. Dogs often venture off and sometimes end up as road kill. This is sad, but true. If people were forced to put up a fence then dogs would not be killed accidently.

As well, if its a bigger dog you don't want it going after little kids in the neighborhood, that would be dangerous and the dog might be forced to be put down.

Verdict: Fences need to go up.

~TBC

kirby¹²³

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it should be a strict law, I think that dog owners should do it anyway and if they don't do it you could ask them to do it if you're a runner like you.
And if they don't do it anyway then it could be a little law that makes them pay a fine.

Son Of Wyachi

Smash Journeyman
what about cats? I'm taking my little bro over to the nearby park and a vicious cat chases him around until i kick the cat.
Then it either:
A) attempts to attack me
or
B) walks away knowing that i could hurt it badly.
Usually A of course.

However, a fence really wouldn't help contain a cat because i saw my cat jump 10 feet onto a curio cabinet before so how would you contain a cat?

Bushelz

Smash Journeyman
You all have shown very adequate points about dogs. However I don't care whether a dog is snarling or staring. A dog is defensive so naturally older dogs that have experienced more in their lives will growl more. Unless you walk right up to one on it's property, then it's probably not gonna bite you. Now what're your supposed to do Pete is run against traffic so you can see cars ahead of time and step to the side. Dogs should be contained within their yards however. But since some states don't require you to have a fence, then that's your very own problem.

I'm visiting my dad in Alaska, and nearly everbody in this neighborhood has a dog, and there is a fence law so everybody has a fence. IF a dog runs up to you growling, just ignore it. If it will bite you, you got a suit on your hands and won't have to worry about anymore dogs.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by Son Of Wyachi
what about cats? I'm taking my little bro over to the nearby park and a vicious cat chases him around until i kick the cat.
Then it either:
A) attempts to attack me
or
B) walks away knowing that i could hurt it badly.
Usually A of course.

However, a fence really wouldn't help contain a cat because i saw my cat jump 10 feet onto a curio cabinet before so how would you contain a cat?
Actually there are fences known as invisble fences, which even cats can't win against.

Son Of Wyachi

Smash Journeyman
I got one of those and it didn't work! I set the thing up, put the collar on my cat etc etc and my cat just ran around my back yard...
not getting shocked at all...

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
A rebuttal to TBC

Fact: People sometimes choke on their food and die. Sad but true. If people were forced to put all food through a food processor, this would not happen, and people would not choke to death accidentally.

Verdict: Mandatory food processing must be put into effect immediately.[/sarcasm as a means of rebuttal]

Do you see the idiocy here. The situation should not be "All dog owners must put up fences". It should be "All owners of dogs who cause problems by leaving their yard should be punished, thus forcing them to find a solution (a fence).". We don't need more laws telling us how to run every single effing aspect of our life.

-B

Zootematix

BRoomer
A rebuttal to BBT

Fact: People sometimes choke on their food and die. Sad but true. If people were forced to put all food through a food processor, this would not happen, and people would not choke to death accidentally.
^This is true, however, it often can not be prevented. With the situation of dogs being fenced up, incidents can be prevented. When you have a bigger dog, one that CAN be vicious and decides to protect it's territory, you end up with incidents of dogs attacking obvilious kids. This could be fatal for the child and ultimately the animal (it would then have to be put down!)

I'm not saying it should be the strictest law in society, but it should be a guideline for many dog owners. It would prevent awful incidents from occuring. For example, people (where I'm from) used to not be obligated to wear helmets while riding a bike. Now they are. This has prevented many accidents from occuring and ultimately saving lives.

So as you can see, if there was a minor law, then more people would use it as a guideline and help protect our society.

BBT, I do value your opinion greatly, but this is just how I feel it should be.

~TBC

Lansuu

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here's my 2 cents:

I think fences should be mandatory, but that doesn't make it right. I know that it's kind of... well... for lack of a better word, pushy, but I hate skateboarding infront of my house, MY OWN HOUSE, and then my neighbor's small white dog comes out and bites my ankles (not to mention the excessive barking). Also, there doesn't have to be a cause for these "attacks". I was just walking up the road then my friend's dog Cocoa comes running out, barking like it had some sand in its ****** and bites my ankle. What was I supposed to do, say "Cocoa, sorry for walking. It won't happen again, I'll hop next time?" Would that have cured anything? Nope, but a frickin' fence would.

Tapion

Smash Ace
I think a fence should not be mandatory. A leash is good enough. Just because a person has a pet, they must be punished? I have no bias in this either, I dont have a dog, I got catz'. If someone can't see a leash, and go too close to the dog, the only problem there is trespassing- the leash should just reach the end of the owner's property.

Ness Earthbound Genius

Smash Journeyman
Fences might help but leashes should be on them! I got chased by a dog yesterday for the 4th time in my 13 year life! I didn't get bite this time though, whew. I was going to play some hockey then this dog stared at me, it chased me all the way until I got lost. Eventually I found my way there. The owners just let their pet run freely all over the place, geez. My friend got her arm all ripped apart while she was rollerblading.

My teacher was talking about collars that shock pets that don't listen. Hmm...

Zootematix

BRoomer
Dog Leashes

I already believe that keeping your dog on leash IS a law, as it should be. If it wasn't I believe many of the people who walk dogs would not use leashes.

I don't know.......this whole debate has got me frazzled. We don't necessarily want another law to conform our lives, but yet having fences would greatly decrease the amount of incidents caused by un-confined dogs.

Truly Puzzling!

~TBC

flyer28

Smash Apprentice
At X's house huntin' crocs. Crikey!-This ones got
Yeah, I feel there should be a law. If peolpe just tied their dog to a leash and tied the leash to a tree, then the dog would have no freedom. Also, I fell that sometimes those invisible fences don't work. The batteries run out and the dog just goes running out of their yard into the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom