• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should characters look physically different the longer they fight?

Dayzle

Smash Rookie
I have been thinking about it, and even came across some pictures of Meta Knight with a damaged mask from beta Brawl images.
I don't really know if I truly care if they add it or not, but would it add more to the experience, or take it away? Maybe even make it totally optional in the settings.

What do you think about characters looking physically beat up/worn out with the more damage they rake up?

I believe it should have no effect on actual game play of course.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Sure. Like, Meta Knight could have a damaged mask (and have it break off if he gets REALLY damaged/knocked out in Stamina Mode), and Ganondorf's cape could get tattered the longer he fights.

Also, I don't think this is the right subforum, is it?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, this goes completely against the feeling Smash is trying to pull.

Sure, something like Metaknight loosing his mask would be fun. But cuts, bruises, blood...

No

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, that sounds more for something like Mortal Kombat, even though it was already done in its last game to an extent.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Brawl hacking shows that it was originally planned for Meta Knight and Captain Falcon to show damage on their mask/helmet overtime.

Just a quick tidbit to keep the conversation going...

D

Deleted member

This would especially be interesting if Little Mac makes the cut, as he has been shown to get battered and bruised in the Wii Punch-Out if he repeatedly gets hit.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Little Mac is the one character I feel bruises and stuff could work for.

Everyone else, nah. Maybe Metaknight loosing his mask, as I said before. Nothing much else

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What about ripped capes etc. Mario and Luigi's cap could go flying off the edge of the screen!
Ripped clothing doesn't seem like a good idea. It would take away from the care free good time attitude of the game.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I guess if character like peach or zelda had their clothes ripped it could turn out good

Dayzle

Smash Rookie
I guess if character like peach or zelda had their clothes ripped it could turn out good
Humm, I kinda like that idea. hahaha

Anywho.

When it comes to charaters with a large amount of clothing, ripping might be a cool thing. If they do, do that, I think there should be a setting to turn it on and off.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Ripped clothes, broken helmets, etc. - Yes
Bruises, cuts, blood, etc. - No
I agree with this.

Although the bruises could be added to some characters. (Little Mac and Donkey Kong come to mind)

Of course cuts and blood are a no no though.

I could see some characters not receiving battle damage textures though. (Kirby, Pokemon, Mr. game & Watch)

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
We could do ripped clothing without it being like ripped clothing in some other games.

For example: in Ocarina of Time, Ganondof's cape becomes more and more tattered as Link damages him in their penultimate battle. That could be transfered to Ganondorf in Smash. Make his cape have holes in it the more damage he takes. Have Meta Knight's mask start accumulating a gash in it that eventually snaps the thing in two if he takes lots of damage.

Things like that, that harken back to the games and serve an amusing purpose.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Poor Olimar. If he got his clothing ripped, he'd need to return to his ship before he dies to repair it...:laugh:

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
All because of that horrible, poisonous, oxygen-based atmosphere.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Only certain characters should receive physical changes when they've taken enough damage. For some possible inputs...

Captain Falcon: His helmet will receive a scar if he's taken a grand total of 300% damage. The helmet will break if he takes a grand total of 600% damage.

Ganondorf: His cape will become shredded once he's taken a grand total of 300% damage. It'll get ripped even further if he's taken a grand total of 600% damage.

Meta Knight: His mask will receive a scar if he's taken a grand total of 300% damage.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
We could do ripped clothing without it being like ripped clothing in some other games.

For example: in Ocarina of Time, Ganondof's cape becomes more and more tattered as Link damages him in their penultimate battle. That could be transfered to Ganondorf in Smash. Make his cape have holes in it the more damage he takes. Have Meta Knight's mask start accumulating a gash in it that eventually snaps the thing in two if he takes lots of damage.

Things like that, that harken back to the games and serve an amusing purpose.
Pretty much this. And Bowser ripping up Peach's dress sounds amusing.:troll:

I like the idea of Mario loosing his hat. It would be a good shout out to SM64.

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If they're going to put in aesthetic changes, either give it to everyone or no one at all.

Seriously, some of you are so conservative when it comes to character portrayal or even showing any skin.

Also, things like sweating and panting would be nice little touches as well.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they're going to put in aesthetic changes, either give it to everyone or no one at all.

Seriously, some of you are so conservative when it comes to character portrayal or even showing any skin.

Also, things like sweating and panting would be nice little touches as well.

Well, they are living statues or dolls. Statues can't really sweat or bleed and don't run out of breath

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They can generate electricity, shoot fire from their hands, spit water, fly, and other crazy things but the very act of sweating is out of the question?

Might as well take out any means of locomotion while we're at it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I can believe a statue can shoot electricity or fly from years of fantasy RPG's.

The second we get to bleeding statues here we're either getting into sacrilege or horror territory

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
No blood. I'll take the minor bruises though, especially in the case of Little Mac. After all, in Punch-Out!!, Don Flamenco would eventually lose his toupee after being knocked down twice.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I can believe a statue can shoot electricity or fly from years of fantasy RPG's.

The second we get to bleeding statues here we're either getting into sacrilege or horror territory
Well, considering it's all fantasy, might as well let them bleed since anything can happen in a fantasy.

That being said, I don't think cuts or blood will seem right, but I think bruises and burns could work if the game has the right art style that allows exaggerated yet slightly comical beatings.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, considering it's all fantasy, might as well let them bleed since anything can happen in a fantasy.

That being said, I don't think cuts or blood will seem right, but I think bruises and burns could work if the game has the right art style that allows exaggerated yet slightly comical beatings.

Maybe effects where they show comical styling of being burned like the electricity effect, but I this really is a very mortal kombat thing.

Bruises will make it look like they are actually harming eachother, that would really take away from the comedic effect and turn it into actual violence.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
seeing how it doesn't really serve a purpose you could have link/toonlinks shield break apart.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I don't really like the idea of bruises & cuts on certain characters. Messy hair & damaged clothing wouldn't be too bad, if they can pull it off without going overboard.

I would really like a "tired" stance after 100% damage or something. I would suggest 300%, but only a few characters ever manage to reach that during fights.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
But really, blood is a big no-no, since apparently anything with blood in it is an automatic M with the ESRB.

Bruises would be fine I think, maybe some clothing or armor damage as well. I'd like to see characters physically tire, just so long as it doesn't significantly affect gameplay. (aside from ledgehops/attacks).

seeing how it doesn't really serve a purpose you could have link/toonlinks shield break apart.
Maybe after blocking a certain number of projectiles, their shields break. Although, I think the Hylian shield is supposed to be indestructible, so maybe not.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah but the blood loss in MK makes Fullmetal Alchemist look like small cuts.

Top Bottom