• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

shorthop double laser

Kham

Smash Cadet
Does anyone have tips on how to SHDL? it seems that im doing it too slow because the second one never comes out.

Moocow007

Smash Ace
It's all in the timing, don't mash the buttons. as soon as you jump slide your thumb to b and press it and wait till you hear the "pew" then press b again. it's hard to describe, but once you get it a few times you'll understand what i'm talking about and get the general idea of how to do it.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
just make sure you don't mash the buttons like moocow said, you press b twice and that is it. there's a rhythm to it and after about ten minutes in training mode you should have it down perfectly.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
The second one might not come out because you're not releasing the first one soon enough. You have to get it out as soon as you leave the ground.

What I do is move my right index finger from R to Y and like.. flick it so that Fox shorthops and my thumb is right there on B so i can shoot the laser as soon as i leave the ground.
The second one should come out after that.
I haven't gotten completely used to shorthopping that way so it's not too reliable for me yet.

Oh wait, this is Smash 64 LOL
I'm guessing the concept is the same?

Kham

Smash Cadet
I can full hop and shoot a laser before the top of my jump, right after the top, and a third before landing, but i still cant get the hang of shdl.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Me too I must press B like 20 times in the air to get those 2 darn lasers out.
Same here. I find it's easier than trying to remember a pattern.

Also, when I first started practicing SHDL I found it easier to hold down Z when I did it... I have no clue why. :dizzy:

ant-d

Smash Lord
To do it as fast as possible, you must fire the first laser 2 frames before fox leaves the ground to jump (the same timing as a perfect reflector cancel):

Then press B 2 frames before the first laser comes out of the gun.

You have a maximum of 6 frames to fire the second laser -this of course depends on how quickly you do the first. You should jump and press B as soon as possible, if you use the same thumb to jump as to press B. As it is inevitable you'll take at least 1 frame to press C -> B.

To do the lowest second laser, you should fire on the 6th frame.

This is the 6th frame from a perfect first laser:

nesshero

Smash Cadet
the rhythm is like, in fast 44:

1-hop
2-shoot
3-nothing
4-shoot

just practice getting the tempo right.

Kham

Smash Cadet
To do it as fast as possible, you must fire the first laser 2 frames before fox leaves the ground to jump (the same timing as a perfect reflector cancel):

Then press B 2 frames before the first laser comes out of the gun.

You have a maximum of 6 frames to fire the second laser -this of course depends on how quickly you do the first. You should jump and press B as soon as possible, if you use the same thumb to jump as to press B. As it is inevitable you'll take at least 1 frame to press C -> B.

To do the lowest second laser, you should fire on the 6th frame.

This is the 6th frame from a perfect first laser:
Thanks for the frame data. So does that mean 2 frames before the first laser comes out and the 6th frame are the same frames?

Also, can you give me an idea of how many beats per minute(BPM) the fast 4/4 is in? something like 196 BPM i assume?

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
I've seen your video before ant-d and I'm wondering if they're a reason why half of the second lasers hit and the other half don't.

Unless it's because you didn't feel like them hitting of course

Kham

Smash Cadet
Thanks nesshero. I spent some time in training mode and im starting the get the feel of it thinking in 4/4.

ant-d

Smash Lord
I've seen your video before ant-d and I'm wondering if they're a reason why half of the second lasers hit and the other half don't.

Unless it's because you didn't feel like them hitting of course
I wanted to show how firing a frame late would change the height of the laser.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Theres an easy way and then theres a hard way

Easy: Mash like Boom said (this way sometimes will have errors and cause you to fire when your on the ground)
Hard: Perfect timing like Ant-D told you (this way is harder but will generaly give you more time to react.)

Kham

Smash Cadet
Its not possible to SHDL while moving through the air, is it?

unityole

Smash Lord
Its not possible to SHDL while moving through the air, is it?
i believe so, but if u move too much forward or backward, the height of the short hop decreases so a 2nd laser might not come out

ive tried moving forward and backward little while doing short hop 2 lasers, and it does work.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
you can do it to a certine degree because cartman allways gets me on that, if you learn how to time it the 2nd laser comes out just as you hit the ground but it doesnt give you the ground lag o.o;;

Top Bottom