• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hopping

Kiusthugs

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys short hop with fox with your controller. How long did it take you to master it

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
Press the x/y/tap up lightly. It honestly took me like a week to do it consistently and like another week to do it consistently in actual matches.
Please use the search function or post this in the questions thread. I don't feel an entire new thread is necessary.

PepaCorn

Smash Apprentice
Imo short hopping is way easier when you do an aerial or special immediately after
Keeps your hands from staying on the button for too long

Squid Kid

Smash Rookie
I just tap X lightly. The key to short hopping is releasing the button before Fox leaves his 3 frames of jump squat.

XxSmashM4sterxX

Smash Cadet
Press the x/y/tap up lightly. It honestly took me like a week to do it consistently and like another week to do it consistently in actual matches.
Please use the search function or post this in the questions thread. I don't feel an entire new thread is necessary.
Well aren't you just the best mod's little helper! ^_^

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I use claw and I find it super easy. I just have to slide my index off Y, and I don't have to worry about moving to an attack after... it took me about 20 mins to be able to get it consistently.
Anyways, if you don't claw I recommend sliding off with your thumb, not pressing quickly, but just do whatever comes more natually.

Meez

The Fraudulent Fox
I had a problem with it until I just swapped my mindset.

Instead of thinking of pressing the button fast, I thought of releasing the button fast.

Of course it should be obvious since unless you release the button you won't short hop, but it helped me for some reason.

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
You press jump quickly.
I mastered it by sitting on my ass and short hopping 300 times in a row, and if I messed up once I'd start over.

Uber Duck

Smash Rookie
You press jump quickly.
I mastered it by sitting on my *** and short hopping 300 times in a row, and if I messed up once I'd start over.
This. The only way to get quality techskill is to just grind it out through sheer muscle memory and repitition. For Fox's SH, it's important to keep yourself relaxed, just let your thumb hit the button, then release. If you tense up, it's a lot harder.

Top Bottom