• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short Hopping

PrincessCalico

Smash Rookie
Hey all! So I'm brand new to this board and the game so if i put this in the wrong spot, please don't hurt me *hides*

Anyways, my boyfriend introduced me to the game, and I have learned all the basic stuff, but now am trying to learn some advanced tecniques, and i'm currently working on short hopping. I'm having a heck of a time trying to do it, and was wondering if anyone has any tips on it. :confused:

Any suggestions are very much appreciated *^_^*

kr3wman

Smash Master
Just press the jump button (X or Y) for a short time.

However, pressing Z or R twice....

FightingGameGuy

Smash Apprentice
For whatever reason, it helps me to just hit the edge of one of the buttons (especially with the non-circular GC buttons) and to move my thumb sideways while doing it, sort of like rolling off the buttons.

Nemireck

Smash Cadet
There aren't many tips available for this technique that will help you out... it's simply a matter of pushing the button very quickly. It doesn't matter how light or how hard you press the button, only that it remains pressed for less than the amount of time it takes for your character to enter their jump animation.

Decodinator

Smash Rookie
One of the important things to focus on is what I call "thumb rebound." When your short hopping, you apply pressure to the button for a minimal amount of time. When I do it, my thumb recoils from the button a little. After a while, it will come naturally. Just tap it once and get your thumb out of there.

Shiekthingy

Smash Cadet
For an X jumper on GC controller... Try to hit the X button on a horizontal movement rather than just pressing the button. This way, you can just nic the button making it very fast to press the button. Or if your a Y jumper, just hit the button fast...

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
For a basic short hop, I'm afraid there is little you can do to learn other than continued practice. Unfortunately, it is something that you're going to have to simply learn through time, there is no real trick other than the obvious one. What others have mentioned is good advice, and I have also heard people say that short hopping with the Control Stick is easier to learn than with X or Y.

What I can help you with, though, is a forced short hop. A forced short hop can be very useful, but to rely on it alone wouldn't be wise, as you can only attack with it, and you will want to be able to short hop on command manually eventually.

Anyway, to perform a forced short hop, you simply press Up on the Control Stick to jump (obviously applies only when Tap Jump is turned on) and press the C-Stick in any non-upwards direction (Back, Back-Down, Down, Forward-Down, Forward) at the same time. The result will always be a short hop, no matter how hard to press the Control Stick, followed by the indicated aerial executed at the first possible frame.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom