• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hopping with Falcon

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
I've tried everything. I've tried thinking of the button as a hot stove. I've tried using X (I normally use Y) and sliding my thumb off the controller. Everything. I can only short hop 8/10 times against computers, and even worse against a human. Are my fingers just too stupid? I dont understand how this simple thing is giving me so much trouble.

Also, if anyone has good falcon guides they can link that would be great.

P.S. Should I learn the claw? that seems even harder but maybe it will pay off.

Rubiiiiix

Smash Rookie
When I first started playing, I had some troubles short hopping too. I think the thing that helped me the most understanding how a short hop works.

Someone told me that it wasn't actually about how "lightly" you tapped the button for a short hop. It's how long you push and release it.

I think every character has a different amount of frames (fox being the hardest).

Once I understood that, it got easier for me. Just keep practicing man. It'll come eventually. Btw I use Y and I don't claw. If that helps

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
When I first started playing, I had some troubles short hopping too. I think the thing that helped me the most understanding how a short hop works.

Someone told me that it wasn't actually about how "lightly" you tapped the button for a short hop. It's how long you push and release it.

I think every character has a different amount of frames (fox being the hardest).

Once I understood that, it got easier for me. Just keep practicing man. It'll come eventually. Btw I use Y and I don't claw. If that helps

That does help some, thanks! And welcome to smash boards

texh

Smash Cadet
Could anyone post photo of the "claw" grip?

Would be much appreciated!

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Try picking up Fox lols. Once you can SHFFL with Fox consistently, SHFFLing with any other character is ezpz
(I'm 50% joking)

I guess it's just a matter of muscle memory. Stick with Y if that's what you normally use and all you can do is just practice short hopping more

Geranimo

Smash Cadet
It takes a few months before being 100% also I highly recomend claw it makes things so much easier. Claw on y **** you on z and 4th on r with the thumb for a,b and cstick

Raise

Smash Rookie
I had this problem for a while too, and

this was the best solution for me. I still fail it from time to time (it's hard to beat your nerves) but over time it will get easier.

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Hmm interesting I had the same issue this is what i did

Wavedash short jump then wavedash again into a short hop aerial

I did this so much its just muscle memory

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
just grind and grind and grind and grind

it can take a very long time, and your shffls skill will keep improving for as long as u play the game

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm back. My short hopping is completely on-point now. Thanks for the help :)

Top Bottom