• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short Hopping Methods

HaiMatoX

Smash Rookie
Okay, I know this is going to sound really scrubby, but as a fairly new player, I am trying to determine the best method for short hopping. As a Sheik main, I have one of the shortest jump squat animations in the game (3 frames). I think short hopping methods fall into two categories: quick taps, and slides.

I currently use a slide method; I slide my thumb off of the Y button, towards the A button. Sometimes, this causes me to accidentally perform aerial attacks, and sometimes causes me to miss a jump entirely because I slide too quickly. In the past, I used the X button to jump, but I switched a few months ago because Y is closer to other controls.

I wonder if sliding across the X button would be more conducive to short hop greatness, or if simply getting my thumb fast enough with quick vertical taps would be best. What do you use and why?

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Not sure why anyone would think that X is the easier button. I use X currently, and I still find that sliding straight down or down+left off the Y button (not towards the A) is way easier. Also better because it's closer to the other buttons as you mentioned; Y has always felt awkward to me, but I still opt for using Y-->A for SH rising Nair oos. X-->A I often flub up with a full hop by accident.

Last edited:
I flick my thumbnail against the bottom edge of the X button. Truly 100% reliable. It takes a long enough nail to do it. If you do it for too many hours with a short nail, your thumb will hurt

Top Bottom