• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

short hop diagonally

ButcherCat

Smash Rookie
hey ho

i'm learning short hops for a few days now and it gets working, but now i have a problem. i dont manage to short hop to the side. i usually just use the joystick for all jumps.
is it easier to use X or Y for short hops (to the side)? what do most of the players use? what do you use? and if you use the joystick, how do you manage to short hop to the side?

(i know i had some kind of thread like this already but i need to know it for sure, cause i think small hops are one of the most important techniques)

i'll be glad for every answer :p:p
thank you in advice

butchercat

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
hi

we have a big general q&a thread for questions like this

it's possible to short hop with any options (stick, x or y) it's really what you feel more comfortable using.

I believe most players use x or y

Sion

Island of Horizon
it has been asked many times before

most players use x or y and it comes down to personal preference

Savingforever

Smash Cadet
Yea you should try to learn each one and c what ur most confortable with... your right though.. you will get more distance if you use X or Y, but using Up isnt always that bad, you can still get alot of distance but not as much as X or Y. It also depends on what character ur using. I use fox, and i use all three ways for short hopping, Up, X and Y. But i guess i would use X most.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
While I do agree that you should use what you're comfortable with, x and y have a distinct advantage over control stick: namely, what you mentioned above. With x and y, it's significantly easier to input a direction while short-hopping.

Even between x and y, players have their preference, and each one has it's advantages. For x, you can short-hop very consistently by essentially plucking your finger off the bottom right edge. When I short hop with y, I just hit the entire button with the part of my thumb that I normally use, and I just try to lift it off really quickly. Personally, I think y is easier to SHL with. If I ever play Fox, though, I will waveshine using X to jump out of my shine.

This is all, of course, merely personal preference.

Top Bottom