• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shined Aerial Speed

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
It was said somewhere along the Smashwiki that Falco's shine could be used as an effective way to move around in the air. I would like to know if this is true or not.

Example: Falco knocked away from FD towards the bottom left. He uses a rising shine and proceeds to Firebird or Phantasm (Depending on altitude.) towards the edge/stage.

I would check right now but my room is full of sleeping fools.

I'll edit after i research if no one tries this out before me.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Hmm. I know in melee it did something for recovery, that or it was fox, can't remember, didn't really use them.
It seems that Falco's shine gives good DI or something, because if you do jump and shine, it seems to give a boost horizontally, and possibly vertically.
It's worth looking into.

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Soon as i Brawlz I'm going to experiment. I've been meaning to attempt this, but the situation rarely comes up. Maybe if i stage it or something the possibilities can be shown.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Oooh. I always thought there was something different when Falco shined in the air, such as a minute time difference.

Also, if you stand in FD on the very and look to the center, then shine, you fall off. Maybe that is where the distance is coming from?

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, it doesn't add to Falco's recovery at all. That being said, it doesn't subtract from it either. You can alter your aerial momentum during a shine just as you can during normal aerial movement. This means that aside from its duration lasting a tad long, it is a relatively safe move when recovering.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, it doesn't add to Falco's recovery at all. That being said, it doesn't subtract from it either. You can alter your aerial momentum during a shine just as you can during normal aerial movement. This means that aside from its duration lasting a tad long, it is a relatively safe move when recovering.
not only that but it can knockback the person who is edgeguarding. all in all, it sounds like a good thing to use when close enough to the stage to knockback anyone that could be edgeguarding

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Isn't there some amount of lag when the shine comes back to falco though? I could be wrong here but If you used this to thwart edge guarding, you would have to use an up B recover since you would fall some amount while the shine returns to you.

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the lag is at the end of the move when Falco grasps his Refelctor. Oh and we are talking about using it for recovery not as a means of defense towards Edgegaurders although it proves to be useful to an unsuspecting foe.

Lets try this out though, just to be sure.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
It does seem to give good horizontal DI.
It does not add to Falco's horizontal recovery at all. Just stand in one spot, jump up and down B. You land exactly where you started. It doesn't let you do anything special with his DI either... albeit, as I said before, you can maintain or alter his aerial momentum exactly as you could during normal aerial movement.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
It does not add to Falco's horizontal recovery at all. Just stand in one spot, jump up and down B. You land exactly where you started. It doesn't let you do anything special with his DI either... albeit, as I said before, you can maintain or alter his aerial momentum exactly as you could during normal aerial movement.
ya enochuout is right. it doesnt give you any at all. although, as i said, it can be useful against edge guarders

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
I spent a while testing this as well as other things. And no difference was found. Same DI during Shine as no shine at all.

And like Enochuout said, it just something for you to do in the air while recovering, being safe as long as the lag duration doesn't prevent anything else you do.

Top Bottom