• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

shine....

_Falco_

Smash Rookie
i got this game when it came out and have overcome many bad habits like jumping with x teching and so on.... but now i have 3 new problems

1) i have never used the c stick(for aerials and for smashes) during fights by instinct i always have 2 thing about it is there any kind of practice i cant do to ground that into my system?

2) i am going to enter my 1st tourny in about 2 months is there any specific thing to play though (i.e. hard/very hard all star,hard/very hard classic, practice my advanced techniques, what is the best thing to do besides playing other actual people?

3)i don't use falco's shine at all except when i think about it and when i think about it i spam it and get hit/spiked what can i do to teach myself to use this great move more (i do use it to reflect stuff though, just not in combos)

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
if you're playing by yourself i recommend spending a lot of time in training mode to figure out combos. just remember to ALWAYS Lcancel (which i will admit takes time to get used to) and watch falco vids on youtube to learn when to use the shine, and try now to use it too much for reflecting unless they're far away because you can't get out of the shine immediately after reflecting and they can attack you.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Uhh, I would advise against comboing CPUs...you'll get used to chasing no DI, and you won't be able to combo human players (who do DI).

Training mode dosn't have the cstick, don't forget that. Go into versus against an idle human with no time limit instead. Learn to shffl and SHL asap. Without those, Falco is pretty useless.

You'll usualy shine right after hitting a shield...no, acualy, make that "right after hitting anything" with an aerial. Then JC it, chase the opponent up, and use attacks...it's the simplest way to explain Falco's combos. Some people, including me, use waveshines instead of the pillar against shields, and from my experience it works, but it takes practice to be able to do it fast enough.

You won't become a pro in 2 months, but that's deffinitly enough time to become better. Like I said, learn your SHL in and out, including LHDLing and RSHLing. You NEED those. Shffling is important also, if you can't do it already.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
i think you have ALOT to learn. read through the guides on the falco forum

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I smell a failed attempt in winning a tourny up ahead~
Hey come on now, even if he might fail, it will be good to play some better players, heck the only reason i got any kind of good was from getting smashed at the first tournaments i played in... i hate getting fourstocked :laugh:

On Topic: Shffling is so important it's not even funny, if you can't shuffle you can't shine combo and you can't beat your opponent that simple. If you want to know if your doing it right go into training and after you "L-cancel" if you can't lead right into the shine so it keeps track of that in your consecutive hit cycle, you messed it up.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Make sure you have the SHL down well, it is great for retreating, attacking, and being a camping *******....

When you go to the tourney, make sure you don't lose to stupid rules you made up, if the opponent hasn't a clue how to stop a SFFLD shine combo, don't stop (This is just an example, if they are that bad then just take a nap, wake up, and 4 stock em :) )

And practice a lot, if everyone here says a technique is good, but you think it is too hard, just learn it, they did, and you will see the usefulness it holds..

Also, for some basic tips, you should really check over the Shine Guide by NJ'zFinest...

Anyways, good luck.. watch some bombsoldier vids, he is good with the shine, just ignore his.... distasteful.... counterpicking and lack of DI, although he is a lot better than me (no joke, really) so, I really have no room to criticise..

~Love

_Falco_

Smash Rookie
i can SHL and SHFFL so im guessing what ur saying is work on my techniques is the most important thing to do right now... thnx for all the help (and i dont expect to win the tourney but it shud b fun

i also have 1 last question i plan on entering singles and doubles and im wondering what i shud do to practice 4 doubles

my guess is to do the same thing that im doin for singles;
practice shl and shffl
corect me if im wrong.....

Rook

Smash Apprentice
I wouldnt shl in doubles mainly because of friendly-fire. You will end up screwing your partner over big time. But practicing shffl'ing does help alot.

Top Bottom