• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shielding And Grabbing!?

Moosecalibur

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I play oneline I always get beat because I'm outshielded and outgrabbed.

I come to believe that I don't grab enough at all, and I hardly shield (ouch):dizzy:

What is the best way to incorporate these techniques into my game (I'm a jigglypuff user)

shatoga

Smash Cadet
Well the only advice i could give you is to just shield and grab more, there's nothing else i can say.

And you can shield and grab at the same time (shield+a).

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Play some offline matches, and learn to approach via shield-cancelled dashes (which are less useful online). Learn to grab during this.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
You have to anticipate your oponents move almost like chess. For example if you jump and land next to your oponent this is a good time to sheild as they are probably about to attack you after sheilding, de-sheild and grab. But its really about anticipation.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Be less predictable with your attack and grab more. (Outthink them). Remember if you go all out attack on a decent player then you get shield grabbed. Grab in situations where you would normally attack. Try jumping then acting like you going to attack from above then grabbing. That may work sometimes.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you're trying to make something more natural for you, to integrate it into your game so that you don't need to think about doing it, you can just do it instinctively, you simply need to start over-using it.

Maybe this isn't always a great rule of thumb, but in my own experience from Melee, when you're learning something new, you need to get used to it. You need to make it come naturally to you, that much is obvious. What worked best for me was simply using the HELL out of whatever I was trying to learn for a period of time. Just shield a LOT. Grab a LOT. Do it constantly. Do it a lot. Lose, win, it doesn't matter. Just do it a ton. Learn when it works and when it doesn't. Understand how to avoid getting punished for predictability, too. If you shield a lot, people are going to start trying to grab you, obviously. So practice avoiding that. Practice spotdodges out of a shield followed by a counterattack on your own part.

After you've done this for a while, and you've really gotten to know the in's and out's of what your trying to learn, start playing normally again. Don't think so much about shielding or grabbing, just play however feels natural. You'll start to see opportunities presenting themselves. You'll think "oh, I should've grabbed there" or "darn, why didn't I shield?" and pretty soon, you'll start taking advantage of those situations like you should.

Obviously, the most important part about learning anything is knowing how to use it in moderation. You want to be varied, you want to utilize every tool available to you. This kind of understanding only comes through time, and if you consciously overuse what you're trying to learn, you'll soon learn when it works and when you get punished.

You can only learn through experience, so the only good advice anyone can give is just to get out there and start trying. Think about it, intend to shield, intend to grab. Do it willfully, and think about the results. Do your best to understand why you succeed and why you fail. Through experience, you'll gain the ability to do it without so much intent--to do it instinctively. And then you're goal's reached.

Hope this helped.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
I used to have the same problem in melee. I relied too much on marth's counter instead of shielding. Try thinking of it actively at first, and eventually it will become second nature:)

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Play against computers at different levels, and beat them entirely with grabs. That will fix your grabbing and shielding problem plus you may learn the usefulness of sidestepping aka spotdodging. I'd recommend using Ness at battlefield, just so the battle doesn't last forever(Ness has some of the strongest throws plus battlefield is small). Once you can do that, you'll be really good with your grabs.

Moosecalibur

Smash Apprentice
Well, if you're trying to make something more natural for you, to integrate it into your game so that you don't need to think about doing it, you can just do it instinctively, you simply need to start over-using it.

Maybe this isn't always a great rule of thumb, but in my own experience from Melee, when you're learning something new, you need to get used to it. You need to make it come naturally to you, that much is obvious. What worked best for me was simply using the HELL out of whatever I was trying to learn for a period of time. Just shield a LOT. Grab a LOT. Do it constantly. Do it a lot. Lose, win, it doesn't matter. Just do it a ton. Learn when it works and when it doesn't. Understand how to avoid getting punished for predictability, too. If you shield a lot, people are going to start trying to grab you, obviously. So practice avoiding that. Practice spotdodges out of a shield followed by a counterattack on your own part.

After you've done this for a while, and you've really gotten to know the in's and out's of what your trying to learn, start playing normally again. Don't think so much about shielding or grabbing, just play however feels natural. You'll start to see opportunities presenting themselves. You'll think "oh, I should've grabbed there" or "darn, why didn't I shield?" and pretty soon, you'll start taking advantage of those situations like you should.

Obviously, the most important part about learning anything is knowing how to use it in moderation. You want to be varied, you want to utilize every tool available to you. This kind of understanding only comes through time, and if you consciously overuse what you're trying to learn, you'll soon learn when it works and when you get punished.

You can only learn through experience, so the only good advice anyone can give is just to get out there and start trying. Think about it, intend to shield, intend to grab. Do it willfully, and think about the results. Do your best to understand why you succeed and why you fail. Through experience, you'll gain the ability to do it without so much intent--to do it instinctively. And then you're goal's reached.

Hope this helped.
It helped me so much that I printed it out! Thanks a lot! :chuckle:

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Well, just get in the habit of shielding a bit more. As for getting grabbed yourself, when you go for an aerial try to fake it sometimes, so they grab and miss. Then you can attack them. Be careful with characters with quick grabs, i.e. Marth. Or attack so that you go behind the person, then you can grab them. I think people would roll if you landed behind them though.

Top Bottom