• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Pressuring

JasonBrav0

Smash Rookie
Can someone please explain to me why shield pressuring is better than grabbing your opponent when they are holding their shield.

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
To make it simple, characters such as Falco benefit highly from putting pressure on shields as a dair or shine can lead up to more extensive combos rather than committing to a grab that can limit their punish. It's all about adaptation, if your opponent stays in shield and likes to roll once under shield pressure then adjust and either do one aerial into a grab or tomahawk them. If they like to shield grab them make sure your spacing is good so you can bait out their grab and punish them accordingly. I'm a Ganon main so shield pressure for me included spaced aerials, jabs (3 frame startup, which is his fastest move) ftilts, and dairs just to try and shield poke them. All characters vary and shield pressure is actually changing with the meta so I wouldn't be surprised if there is an extensive guide on the matter.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
If you grabbed every time, they'd be able to roll out (unless you'er spacies lol). So you try to mix up on their shield.

Last edited:
If you predict that your opponent won't let go of shield, just grab. Grabs beat shield. Shield pressure is for catching your opponent out of their shield options when they let go and try to fight back. It's generally safer than running up and grabbing. You can pressure from farther away. No shield pressure is truly perfect, aside from Fox frame perfectly multi shining, which gives only 1 frame of opportunity for an opponent to do anything (leading to them getting hit). Humans will have gaps in their pressure. The shielder is trying to attack back during the best gap to. Vary your gaps and keep a bit of distance from your opponent during shield pressure

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Can someone please explain to me why shield pressuring is better than grabbing your opponent when they are holding their shield.
First off, how good a grab is completely depends on the matchup. Landing a grab in puff dittos is nothing like Dr Mario grabbing fox. Same with shield pressure. Ganon would almost always rather have a grab (unless he can shield poke some near the ledge or catch them when they drop shield), while Falco would usually want to shield pressure. You also have to consider the risks involved.

Grabs are fast, but not super fast. You're usually going to want to condition him into shielding before throwing out the grab. Then lots of mixups work. Sometimes you don't have time to grab though, so pressuring them may be your only option in a given situation. The options you use to pressure their shield should be directly influenced by your opponent's OoS options. This helps you decide what is most risky, so it helps in your decision making.

JoeTango

It Takes Two
its because shining 8 times on shield is exactly 8 times cooler than grabbing

falco science

Top Bottom