• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Pressure

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Hey, guys.

I've been in the lab with Fox to make him a solid secondary, and I play against the best dudes in my state all the time. Now, the absolute most frustrating thing about using Fox is that one mistake and I'm dead, especially if my opponent's a solid edge-guard.

I have decent tech skill with Fox. I can waveshine, shine-grab, shine OoS, yadda yadda, but I'm no Hax or Mango, obviously. I wanna talk about shield pressure, because that's what makes Fox a really good character. I haven't been able to properly do it. I constantly get shield grabbed or countered even if my opponent's stuck in shield. I know Fox can do frame-traps, but I don't know all of them.

If anyone here has a good amount of experience with Fox, some advice on shield pressure would be nice.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I think it's best to watch melee fox players do sheild pressure. Pay attention to what they do and why they do it. Also work on doing your pressure as fast and fluidly as you can.

T-Cash

Smash Apprentice
In project m fox shine has less priority and is easy to get grabbed out of. You have to position yourself very well to not get grabbed as fox dair on someone shield but only the tip of you foot then shine when they don't expect or to just push away diar, nair, dair shine nair to upsmash! Aerial to shine just isn't as effective anymore

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
In project m fox shine has less priority and is easy to get grabbed out of.
I don't understand how that's true..
Sure PM Fox's shine doesn't have the invincibility frame of Melee's counter-part- but if you're executing your pressure correctly it's unlikely that something will clink with your 1 frame shine.
How is it different than PM and how does priority come in to it?

I may be wrong but Fox's drill-to-shine pressure as far as I know is identical to Melee's aside the 1 frame invincibility difference- which never really factored into the pressure aside from clinking on another shine.

Edit: Here's a link to some Melee frame-data regarding shield pressure courtesy of KirbyKaze
http://smashboards.com/threads/shield-pressure-frame-data.278616/

Last edited:

Boiko

:drshrug:
I play with Animal pretty frequently, or as we call him, the button pressing monkey, and he is amazing at putting on serious shield pressure with Fox. Usually he'll shine and then waveshine behind your shield to start putting pressure on from behind you, when your shield starts getting smaller, he do things like nair shine, or shine grab into follow ups.

IMO, PM Fox is less about applying crazy shield pressure but instead forcing your opponent into shield where you can then get a shield grab into follow ups, depending on the character.

I'll try to find a set where he goes off with pressure and post it here.

JosekiTheGreat

Smash Cadet
Grab beats shine (they can even be hit on the first frame by shine and still get the grab off, its weird but it happens to me with some regularity)

Anywho, go into training mode on FD, make the "star man" item drop on the CPU. Invincibility hit-lag is the same or very close to shield hit-lag, so you can practice the timings of drill-shine-drillshine-nair-shine-nair-shine-etc-etc-etc. against the CPU. When the star man runs out just pop another one. =)

Top Bottom