• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Pressure

wakka444

Smash Ace
Playing around with him i quickly realized capt.F has some very useful(not flawless) ways of pressuring shields.

-It's amazingly simple. A simple one two jab followed by a raptor boost.

-As long as the opponent doesn't get a perfect shield into a grab it should work very well.

-It's simple really the jabs are fast so it is dangerous for them to drop the shield(duh) and the raptor boost is also very fast and even better when it connects with the shield, this is where the pressure really starts, it will push you away from them so no shield grab(obviously a grapple can still get you) and you can follow it up with another 1 2 raptor boost and usually they'll go "hmmm i should roll away....".

-Well theres a 50% chance they will get hit regardless bc the raptor boost goes forward and will, in my experience with the timing, connect.

- It's useful and capt.F needs useful things. I don't main him but he is a lot of fun to play and this definitely makes it more fun to play as him.

-A final note, to those who have surely already found this, bravo to you, and feel free of course to prove and disprove a lot of what I said because I have only been doing this today when I stumbled on it...byee

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Raptor Boost? To shield pressure?

Then again, shield pressuring with Falcon in general? If they're shielding, just grab them.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
This is good stuff especially if it could be used to break the opponents sheild and after the sheild is broken you can use a FALCON PUNCH.

wakka444

Smash Ace
Raptor Boost? To shield pressure?

Then again, shield pressuring with Falcon in general? If they're shielding, just grab them.
Haha what do you do after that? I'm kidding of course because you can follow and attempt a combo but I'm just explaining another option you can use.

-Jabs are very fast and can catch your opponent of guard but more often than not you will find that your jabs don't follow into something else, at least in brawl that's the case.

-Here's the scenario I use it in, I go on the offensive and i approach with a Nair and it's spaced so that when I land I'm standing in front of them but they can't grab me and they know it, there's plenty of other approaches you can use I'm just using this one for the example.

-They are just going to wait until I attack again then grab me, and I don't want to grab them because he might be expecting it now and will sidestep then punish me.

-That's where this option is used because there's three hits involved and they're very fast so it's VERY unlikely they can sidestep all of them, they won't be able to safely do a grab or anything else for that matter, unless perfect shielded, and that leaves them with few options.

-These options are wait in shield for an opening they won't get, attempt a sidestep that can be punished, and dodge roll which I feel only works for them maybe 50% of the time.

-This is by no means a God send tactic that will forever change Brawl and make capt.F the best but it gives the player another offensive option and it's very fun not to mention easy considering its effectiveness.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
No.

Throwing is more effective for maintaining control than the Raptor Boost is. You can jab/double jab to grab pretty effectively in Brawl.

Plus, some characters can simply grab through raptor boost, for how low its priority is, plus it totally doesn't push you far away enough to prevent getting shield grabbed if they just stay shielded anyway. It's also just as easy to spot dodge a grab as to spot dodge a raptor boost, particularly since raptor boost has the activation time, giving a wary opponent plenty of time to expect it.

By the way, your writing style is terrible. Please write in a clearer and more unified manner, and don't use so many pronouns.

wakka444

Smash Ace
Haha you've been a great help.

I wish you would try it, it's a lot of fun, but, sorry if i offend you, you come off as the type that has fun focusing on winning, where as I have more fun trying new things especially when it avoids monotony of simply grabbing people.

There's nothing wrong with either but I did want to share this with people like me, thanks for pointing out how terrible it is I never would have noticed. And for the writing...thanks? I'll get right on that haha

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Ah, hell. I apologize for being such an a-hole, it was unnecessary and uncalled for.

It's just that, sure, it's fun to do, but it didn't really warrant a thread, especially since it's not really the most effective thing to do. I shouldn't have been so harsh, it's not terrible, it's just simply not the best thing to do and might lead to you getting punished more than rewarded.

As for the writing, it was an slightly unnecessary snipe from me, but it did make it hard to follow what you were saying.

Continue having fun, so miserly, bitter old farts like me can rant about how you shouldn't be. It gives us something to do.

Top Bottom