• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

shield pressure (used to be zoning)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I play Zelda... my question... Does Zelda truly do well against pit? or is it just that pit's are so retarted about zoning that they just can't seem to do anything to zelda because they never bothered learning how to zone her?

kown

Smash Lord
^ actually we never talked about this...

and were focusing on pits shield pressure game rather than zoning since we agreeed his range isnt quite suffice.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I play Zelda... my question... Does Zelda truly do well against pit? or is it just that pit's are so retarted about zoning that they just can't seem to do anything to zelda because they never bothered learning how to zone her?

This is an insult to me for one to call Pit, or I stupid! And this stupid Zoning this is agitating me. Not only do I dont know what it is, but it's distracting me from doing as good as i used to. If it's a fancy word for "Spacing" then why dont they say SPACING instead!?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
This is an insult to me for one to call Pit, or I stupid! And this stupid Zoning this is agitating me. Not only do I dont know what it is, but it's distracting me from doing as good as i used to. If it's a fancy word for "Spacing" then why dont they say SPACING instead!?
because spacing is just you.... zoning involves you influencing the location of your oponent... at least that's what I thought

kown

Smash Lord
admiral no one is insulting. tbh everyone is right in saying we never covered the basics. so thats what im trying to do not only for you guys...but for me too.

okay so im going to change this thread to shield pressure instead of zoning.

shield pressure?

discuss.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Shield Pressure simple. Rapid-A, Angel Ring at a stragetic spot, SH N-air as you move towards your opponent, or a glide cancel into Rapid-A though Shieldgrab is possible.
Classic Rapid-A to Angel Ring is another option.

Khaos Blackdragon

Smash Cadet
At certain ranges I usually just dodge into an attack so I don't really consider shield pressure too often.
But when I do feel like pressuring my opponent and I am pretty close in range I just do the rapid-a, sh nair, sh dair and move back into range for a fsmash or rapid-a, or if I feel lucky just forget about shield pressuring and go in for a grab. Yeah, I really don't consider shield pressuring too often.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Well, Shield Pressure, Zoning... it all has something to do with approaching. The better you can approach, the better you can make use of your shieldpressure and the less likely you are zoned

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Now things are getting interesting:

Why does Pit has to approach at all? He has a great projectile as well as a tool to reflect them...How about forcing the opponent to come close? That's the first step, the next would be to either prevent them from getting too close somehow and use arrows or try to get in close and put them under serious pressure...

kown

Smash Lord
okay so b4 i say this i wont be able to reply till after 6ish central time.

Isnt that what we dont want....we dont want opponents coming at us otherwise itd set them up to zone us right? i mean sure were getting damage in but in the long run isnt it setting ourselves up? haha i hope that makes sense. ill try to give an example: against marth he comes at us. we get like 10 damage. than hes in perfect distance to zone us.

oh crap i just re read ur post and it seems like u noticed this problem too....sigh* all this was a waste. haha

well anyone else have an explanation for this type of situation os that they dont get too close...

maybe inbetween arrows we could do a SH fair to prevent them from approaching too closely or we could wingdash to mess with thier spacing and put us in place for another areal.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
OK, I tried some stuff out.

I tried some stuff I usually do with Wolf on Pit and it worked surprisingle well. Try to do a SH nair behind the enemy followed by a reverse grab. Other than that, I found retreating nair to either arrow or dtilt useful. Try it out, you may find it good...

kown

Smash Lord
yea or a SHnair behing enemey to uptilt works.

but u suggest using that when the opponent gets close to us? after making the opponent come to us.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah, pretty much. Unless, you're completely outranged you can use them rather safely, if you DI away correctly.

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
Lol this is zoning again. Don't over use this, but if you do a quick double jump while DIing backwards into a glide attack you get an unpunishable high priority attack with decent range. Also you can jump towards, jump away, and than glide.
Correction: use this all you want vs most chars (including MK) but not vs ROB or anyone that can out range your glide attack.

HolyCrusader

Smash Cadet
To tell you the truth I have figured out my strategy. Its fair not to attack but just to add a pressure of distance from the opponent so they don't come dashing forward with an attack. This allows my Pit to do anything after this attack without any lag such as arrows or angel ring. Also I spam arrows. Cheap tactic? HELLZ NO Diddy's got bannanas Snakes got Mortar Metaknights got....Metaknight! Use everything your char is equiped with just don't go overboard. Hence spamming like 20 arrows before you even approach your opponent.
Thats my two sense

Top Bottom