• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

shield lag

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
hey guys I need some help, I've been realizing that zero suit has quite a bit of lag out of her dash. It's to the point where even if you react to their attack when your half way through your dash you get punished hard. this becomes a problem when people throw out smash attacks.

I need some help finding ways to limit this lag, the only thing I've found that somewhat works is fox trotting.

ANYWAYS PLEASE HELP THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY REASON I DONT WANNA MAIN THIS CHARACTER

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Dash less often :grin:

Walking is less expected than a dahs and allows you to do anything (even smashes and dash attacks).

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Is down b'ing backwards out of dash safe?
Could be if the opponent doesn't read it, but I wouldn't recommand it.

So about your problem, you can't sheild out of dash, right? Try sheilding WHILE running. Sheilding immediatly after a dash is laggy for everyone since dashes have ending lag, no matter who you play.

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
Could be if the opponent doesn't read it, but I wouldn't recommand it.

So about your problem, you can't sheild out of dash, right? Try sheilding WHILE running. Sheilding immediatly after a dash is laggy for everyone since dashes have ending lag, no matter who you play.
There's still lag on the running shield too, the only way to shield even close to IMMEDIATLEY is to walk -> shield

I was wondering if anyone found a way to like cancel this lag or make it faster or make it more responsive

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
There's still lag on the running shield too, the only way to shield even close to IMMEDIATLEY is to walk -> shield

I was wondering if anyone found a way to like cancel this lag or make it faster or make it more responsive
Funny, I sheild almost instantly and all I do is press the sheild button while running.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167

This isn't true, you can shield instantly out of run, just not the initial dash.

Nothing you can do to shorten the initial dash frames, all you can do is keep in mind that dashing in from close range isn't very safe.

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
I find shielding out of a dash to be pretty instant to me. It's usually what I always do. For example, ZSS's dash grab sometimes goes straight past my opponent, so to close that space if I want to grab them, I'd dash forward a bit, shield, and then grab since shield grabs don't carry momentum like dash grabs do.

Last edited:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
You can actually shield cancel a run into a dash grab or pivot grab if you're fast enough

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
In terms of shielding right away from a dash, make sure you are still holding Forward on your analog stick when you press shield. If you are dashing and you let go of forward, the character immediately goes into that laggy little slide and then you can shield after, which is not what you want. However, If you press shield before you release the forward, your character will immediately shield mid dash.

Idk if I am explaining this right, but in short what you want to do is
Hold Forward to Dash -> Keep Holding Forward -> Press Shield While Still holding Forward -> Release Forward
rather than
Hold Forward to Dash -> Release Forward on analog stick -> Press Shield.

Last edited:

Lus146

Smash Cadet
Dash less often :grin:

Walking is less expected than a dahs and allows you to do anything (even smashes and dash attacks).
How do you effectively walk rather than dash? I have been trying to figure it out but whenever I am in a real game and I try to walk I just end up going too fast and dashing instead. What are some ways that I Can react fast and still walk rather than dash?

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
How do you effectively walk rather than dash? I have been trying to figure it out but whenever I am in a real game and I try to walk I just end up going too fast and dashing instead. What are some ways that I Can react fast and still walk rather than dash?
You just have to move the control stick from the neutral position a bit slower. You're just hitting it a bit too fast is all.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
if your really terrible at it do something like jump and gold the stick all the way pretty much just before you hit the ground and she will walk upon landing, the further you hold the stick forward the faster she will walk.

Top Bottom