• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Grabbitlng Habit

Shade Jay

Smash Rookie
Falco main:

Whenever I play, my default input to grab is to shield grab. Sometimes it works, but most of the time, it's predictable and easily punishable.

I know how to jump cancel grab and shine grab and I grind those skills constantly, but in real application I revert back to old habits.

I was wondering if there were any better methods to rectify this and overwrite this habit.

Edit: sorry for the error in the title, I'm on my phone

Last edited:
1 way is by forcing yourself to do certain things in friendlies. Don't play to win during them. Play to learn

Shade Jay

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice, and I definitely have that mindset because I know I should mostly be focusing on improvement, but it's super difficult to overwrite muscle memory for me. I'll try what you suggested out though. Maybe even no shielding in a game/set?

D

Deleted member

go play a friendly and when playing constantly have the thought of not shield grabbing (unless it is actually a good play) constantly running through your head, i used to do a similar thing with marths short hop fast fall d-air and would repeat it throughout the match, i would also use it the most so my opponents quickly learned and figured out how to beat me. ended up playing for a few days with that thought running through my head constantly and i learned other methods of punishing opponents, try it ;)

AirFair

Marth tho
Basically the above. Force yourself to use regular inputs, and maybe get a penalty system for when you shield grab unconsciously.

Shade Jay

Smash Rookie
Thanks for taking your time to help!

Today, I played with those thoughts in mind and I think it's getting better. I'm mainly using it to punish now.

Also, as an alternative to shield grabbing, is jump cancel grab OoS a better option?

Last edited:

Mystic-

Smash Apprentice
Jump cancel grab is going to be the exact same thing, exact at least 1 frame slower. Good options include WD OOS or shine OOS (ludicrously good for Falco)

Top Bottom