• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Frametraps and more

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
Alright, i asked about this in the framedata thread, and i've come back with the fruits of my labour.

Peach has INCREDIBLE shield pressure on pretty much every member of the cast, dair being amazing when spaced and crossed up, and nair being an alright landing option.

So there are a couple of theorised blockstings if come up with, feel free to add your own if you wish.

Dair

Dair is my go-to option when I have forced a shield, or just a general safe option if my opponent is being overly passive.
Spacing it on shield is a MUST, you never really want to be at ground level floating dair. It doesnt shieldstab and is pretty punishable despite having relatively little end lag.
This is a good example of how to space dair, even though it is a different game (this matchup in brawl was all about peach dair v icies uair, and spacing it correctly means that icies shield gets hit, and icies cannot grab or uair).
Sumabato X: 9B (Ice Climbers) vs Kie (Peach) *Japan* - YouTube
Of course you might want to change your spacing for different characters. with pika you want to be perhaps slightly behind, but with sheik or ganon you can be more liberal with spacing.

Nair

Nair is pretty good on shield, especially behind shield or on grapple characters. It is only -6 on shield when done perfectly. source:
Back to your question, according to all of this data, Nair should be -6.
since jab comes out on frame 2, we can theoretically frametrap characters with frame 8 or slower out of shield options.
Notably we can challenge (behind shield) notably, diddy, rosalina, ness, peach, zss, sonic (can escape with upb) and captain falcon to name a few. Source: Smash 4 - Kurogane Hammer

Note that while we can challenge these characters with nair, we cannot challenge with jab usually. So it becomes a mixup:

Nair > jab
Nair > shield
Nair > Nair possibly
Nair > Dsmash
Nair > Grab

Also note that every character can escape with rolls, so if you condition them to start rolling or jumping, you can start reading and taking control.

Peach Bomber (Side B)

Peach bomber is hilariously safe on shield. You dont get much off of it unfortunately, but it's a nice styling option. Note that a spotdodge wrecks this option.

Turnip Blockstings

Each turnip deals different percentages, and therefore different shieldstun. (Block/Shield lag may differ) Normal turnips have a measly 3 frames of shield stun, but the higher order turnips become a little more crazy:
Winking Face: 5 Frames
Dot Eyes: 6 Frames
Stitch: 11 frames (lol)
Bomb: 11 or 12 frames not sure
Mr Saturn Destroys shields have fun with him
Source:
So a mod on smashboards did some tests with shieldstun in Smash 4

Make of these what you will, i'm sure someone will come up with some creative regrab shield breaks. I'm not sure how it functions in this game, but in other games z-dropped turnips all acted like normal turnips.

Melee Shield Pressure

The most common trap in melee was float cancel fair > grab frame(perfect) or Float Cancel Fair > jab1 Dsmash (shield stab). These strings relied on fair float cancelling, which we unfortunately don't have in this game, but we can emulate with nair behind shield to jab. Personally, it doesn't feel as useful unless their shield is already bad.

I hoped you learned something, and you try to incorporate these theories in your gameplay.

To be continued.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I'm surprised no one else has commented on this thread yet, it's very interesting!

On Dair:

Dair itself is -6 on shield, which is completely safe unless you're in their grab range for some reason. Getting punished for Dair on shield depends on what you did after the Dair.
  • If you do Nair, your opponent has 10 frames to hit you before you can hit them. In normal language, this means that characters such as Ness, Yoshi, Sheik or Peach can Nair you before you can Nair them.
  • If you do Bair, you should be landing behind your opponent. Bair has way more lag than Nair, but it outranges a lot if not all Nairs. If you land behind them they can't grab you either, and thanks to Bair's range and Peach pulling back after landing, you'll land farther off of their shield than you'd think.
  • Pulling away is an amazing option. If you're quick you can pull away and if they do an Usmash/Nair OoS but this requires you to predict your opponent since Fair is slow. You can also pull away and just land. Pulling away is likely her safest options.
  • You can do a Dair > Dair if you really think you're opponent is not going to do anything, but keep in mind there are 16 frames for your opponent to attack you between your Dairs.
On Nair:

Nair is -6 on shield, but there's a bit more to it. The thing is, it's way harder for your opponent to react to a shielded Nair than it is for you to input a jab/grab after your Nair. I get Nair > Grab very often offline (online too obv). Whenever I Nair my opponent's shield I am already preparing to input a grab. My opponent on the other hand only has 6 frames has to process the fact that I'm Nairing his shield; if he's too late he will get grabbed. Obviously it's harder on people with fast reaction times or opponents expecting a Nair > Grab, but that's where Nair > jab comes in handy.

On top of that, Nair has a decent amount of shield pushback and you can pull away a little bit before landing, making your Nair completely safe.

Nair > Dsmash is probably the worst option you have because Dsmash is hilariously unsafe on shield.

Top Bottom