• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Dropping

SouthernGent

Smash Cadet
would you guys say that in the current meta where everyone's tech skill seems to be getting to crazy levels that being able to shield drop u-air with Ylink is almost become a necessary piece of tech to be able to truly compete at tournaments?

Also does anyone have any special way they shield drop I just try to press as lightly down as I can though I have heard that angling the shield to the bottom corner can make it easier to perform.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Yes, I would say that shield-drop uair is now necessary, especially since it's so strong for YL.

My shield dropping isn't perfected; when I shield-drop, it varies on which technique I used (I don't know which is most comfortable for me, just tend to use a few techniques interchangeably.)

SAUS

Smash Ace
I am of the impression that shield dropping is essential tech. It should be learned after the super main tech stuff like L-canceling and basic wavedashing.

I use the technique where you hold directly to the side while shielding and then rotate it down by 45 degrees (straight sideways nook into the down angled nook on the same side). I think if you wait too long it doesn't work, and if you don't have the stick in position, you will roll, but if done right, it is easy and works consistently.

You can also shield drop and throw a bomb up through the platform if you happen to have one. It's quite nice.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Are there any other methods of shield dropping? I'd like to know, although SAUS' method is commonplace, and therefore reliable.

CaramelCenter

Smash Rookie
Can someone post a link to where I can find shield drop tutorials for multiple methods because I've heard a couple but none that are explained in depth with inputs and frame data and what not

Top Bottom