• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Dropping being off?

Rachman

be water my friend
Hey guys, one of the biggest things annoying me is that I cannot seem to shield drop in PM without performing it differently. It's only slightly off but definitely enough to really mess me up and hinder my enjoyment of the game. Am I missing something obvious or was this set up not installed correctly? I thought it had been fixed in a previous patch but was I mistaken? I have absolutely zero problems shield dropping in Melee ever and use it as a pivotal part of my platform game so I'm executing it properly if it is supposed to be the same. Thanks

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
It is setup to have Melee like execution but one thing you have to keep in mind is that PM is in a completely different engine. Hence something might feel different in PM even though it was designed to be like Melee. Nothing truly wrong with things being different, as I have no issues shield-dropping in PM.

My advice is practice shielddropping in vs free for all by yourself until you get the feels for it.

Alternatively, it could be whatever build of PM your using (eg a custom one) messed with the codes or , and this is unlikely I beleive, your gct file in the codes got screwed a little during downloading.

Hope this helps.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
It also depends on physically how you shield drop. I don't have a problem between the two games, but my roommate finds it impossible to shield drop in melee. I'm not sure how he and I differ, but he just can't seem to get it.

Rachman

be water my friend
I can shield drop in pm but it messes me up when I switch back since it's different! I'm thinking I should learn to just do the straight down method in pm only and the tilt left/right first in melee to differentiate the muscle memory. Strong Badam Strong Badam Magus420 Magus420 could you guys tell me if I'm imagining differences?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's probably different, I have your same issue but reverse because I focus on PM and only play Melee ~once a month. Shield dropping feels really weird in Melee to me. I use the straight down method.

Magus420

Smash Master
Shield drop in melee has 3 Y increments where it'll trigger platform drop but not far enough down to dodge. In PM there are 4 so the range is larger, but the average is further down (the idea being that an average unmodded controller is more likely to dodge on 1 or both notches in melee than it is to perfectly drop on both sides). More controllers as a whole are probably able to shield drop on both sides in PM, but with a controller that drops on both sides in melee (uncommon/modded) there's a good chance it'll be harder to shield drop with that controller in PM than melee by default.

If your controller is on the upper end of the shield drop range in melee, where it works in melee but not PM, you can compensate for that by using the in-game analog calibration (plugging in or hold start+X+Y) to tweak the notches' Y positions. -0.6625, -0.6750, and -0.6875 are the melee increments that drop. If you get -0.6875 on a notch in melee (can see in debug physics/input display) it likely works in both games, but the other 2 probably just angle the shield in PM. If that's the case, press and slowly release the control stick towards an upward direction before plugging in/resetting the controller. If it's worse at dropping with the SW notch in PM, which is more likely in this case because SE notch tends to be lower than SW on GC controllers, you probably want to press NW/NNW before calibrating.

Press->release->calibrate makes use of the small amount of loose zone controllers tend to have. It's also helpful in reverse for controllers that work better in PM than melee (drop in PM but dodge in melee) by calibrating with a downward direction when playing melee. Pressing and releasing up for one that works in melee but not PM is usually enough to get the right calibration, but if the controller has little or no loose zone you may need to maintain a very very tiny amount of upward nudge when you calibrate rather than fully letting go. Not enough to visibly move it, just a bit of pressure to the underside of the stick where you first feel resistance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom