• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Drop/ Shai Drop Lasers

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
In the past 2 months or so ive began using shield and shai dropping quite a bit. However I have been having trouble shield/shai dropping into laser on the side patforms of BF/PS/Yoshi. I can get the lowest laser from the BF platforms, but have yet to get them on Yoshi's or PS. While practicing this, it occurred to me that it may not even be possible, or useful as the lowest laser does little to protect ur decent from the platform.

Im currently looking for videos of a falco doing it in match. Mostly looking at axe videos. Ill link any video I find of it here, or post if I get an answer. Any help/info is appreciated :)

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
It's completely possible and I do it all the time, it's just really fast. Give me a bit to record it.
EDIT:

Last edited:

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
It's completely possible and I do it all the time, it's just really fast. Give me a bit to record it.
EDIT:
Awesome, thanx. Ill keep working at it then. I mainly end up shining by mistake when I try it. I guess ive got to get my control stick back to neutral faster.

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
resetting the stick to neutral after a shai drop, in order to get a laser out consistently with neutral b, feels harder for me (probably because I haven't practiced doing it enough)

I've put more time into isai drop lasers and, probably as a result, that's what I do when I need to put a laser out as fast as possible on yoshi's or pokemon stadium.

When I practice shai drops I end up moving the stick down all the way for the crouch, if I practiced tilting the stick less far, I might have fewer problems as that feels like the reason I'm able to do isai drop laser so quickly, since I move the stick less far down, so it's faster for me to get it into a position where the b input would register in neutral.

With more practice I'd probably have the muscle memory down for either

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Hum. What's a shai drop ? What are the benefits compared to isai drop laser ?

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
Shai drops are discussed in-depth in this thread, as are the benefits of the different methods as compared with Isai drops, especially from the point of view of frame data.
Note that each method requires different setups. Method 4, as outlined in that thread, is the one generally compared directly to Isai drops. Shai dropping techniques are one of the more misunderstood and mis-attributed or poorly described techniques by most of the melee community, which really contrasts its prevalence at higher level play (check out Mango doing them, sometimes extremely unsuccessfully, during G3 grand finals). The important distinction between Shai drops and shield drops (with the exception of Shai drops 3rd method which is really an application of the usual method for a shield drop), is generally that Shai drops are methods to trick the game into causing you to fall-through instead of spot dodging or rolling.

an uncommon sentiment among players at tournaments that I've found, is that some people incorrectly attribute certain Shai drop methods as being Isai drops themselves. I've also been told Shai drops are 'frame 1 instant shield drops' from players before, which is kinda misguided

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Shai drop is basically a shield drop done by inputting down before shield to disable spotdodge and drop afterwards. When you start pressing down on control stick, spot dodge window is active for 4 frames, and shield drop is active for 6 frames. Spot dodge takes priority over shield dropping, so you need use the frames 5-6 of the shield drop window to shai drop. Thus to shai drop you input down, and shield on frame 4-5.

The biggest advantage of shai dropping over normal dropping is that you can do it out of dash which allows you to manage spacing before the drop. Shai dropping out of laser landing lag is also slightly faster (3 frames when done optimally) than isai dropping.

Top Bottom