• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shieks Weaknesses

What are Sheiks Weaknesses

• Don't get grabbed

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Punish hard

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Rice03

Smash Cadet
I been losing to Shieks as a Fox main. So I been wondering what are sheik's weaknesses? What can I do as a Fox main to not lose to Sheik. I try to space out and shoot lasers, but I think by doing that I give to much space for Sheik to charge needles. Also, how do I make sure that Sheik does not get any free grabs because I think my opponents always find a way to punish me. Sorry if the grammers bad.

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
lets take what we can control into simple form....Final Destination & fighting to come back to ledge. If you're losing stocks, you might not be aware of Sheik covering your come-backs. you REALLY have to get a good come back game with either your forward B or Up B.

This might not be a huge portion of "winning", but it will definitely help you keep stocks longer if you're still struggling. I only play Sheik so I can only offer so much advice. But when I do dittos, my biggest focus will be to DI as far as i can from those down throws. You really have to get away from those ftilts. I haven't played very long, but I thought I'd offer something in this thread to ya.

Fox vs Sheik is my favorite match-up. Mostly because of the ledge practice I get. Once Fox is off the edge, I'll expect first for you to try to forward B back on stage or to the edge after a pause. Most sheiks will expect this too and immediately run off with you to follow your altitude with a jump+neutral back on to the stage. Even if you don't side-B into that neutral we have waiting for you, we then move close to the edge with enough time to down-smash if you've already moved on to doing an Up-B back to the stage instead of side-b.

You get what I'm saying? I guess try to STALL your choice if your window is too open for Sheik to cover your options. Sweet spot a side-b to grab ledge or stall your come-back choice with a shine (if thats possible?) before chosing. Sorry I can't offer too much, but this is how I play against a fox.

Fight-wise on the ground, I find the good foxes really get their air-game down & they bounce me like a freakin basketball. Ofcourse shine-chasing when you can & laser practicing. If this is too open-ended I apologize. Somebody help this guy out.

Needles are rly only useful when you offer the angle of opportunity. I don't really PLAN to use needles unless it's edge fighting. If you're spaced out, the only needles i think you'll have to worry about is you give Sheik the chance to jump once you charge from a long distance, then the needles fall on you with a follow atk. Just watch for those angles when fighting. Foxes have to be SUPER fast, you just have to.

So stay alive by watching how sheiks cover the edge for your comebacks. Believe me they're watching for your choice WHILE they cover options in case you do 1 or the other.
Do damage by bouncing sheik like a basketball with dairs to L-canceled fast fall shines / repeat.
Take stocks with shine chasing to up smashes. Or dairs when we're 1/3 close to the edge. Or Up-throws to Up-airs.

Hope this helped some-what. I don't play much any more.

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
P.S. I voted punish hard.

One huge advantage you have is you're super hard to Sheild grab. If you're worried about getting grabbed, don't be. Just shine cuz it comes out instantly now-a-days nobody gets shield grabbed any more.

Jomezus

Smash Rookie
Make sure you practice your follow-ups off of shines. Sheik has a hard time dealing with crouch canceling, making cc shine a strong tool. You should be good until around 40%, where her tilts start to combo a bit better. Oh, and don't fall into any teching patterns

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
She gets edgeguarded hard, the has lackluster options from above (not that this couldn't be said for most characters), her moveset doesn't lend itself well to approaching, and thus many of her good options lose to shield. For example, many Sheiks like to ftilt to stuff Fox's approaches. If she does this, you can shield it and punish (but don't wait, act quickly).
It's not a tiny window, but you should try to act immediately. Usmash OoS is pretty much guaranteed regardless of spacing. Alternatively, you can just dash dance, which also beats out any attempts by the Sheik to pressure as well, but you don't always have room to do this comfortably, and Sheik has needles.
Although Sheik's moveset is generally amazing, many of her options are actually outranged by your equivalents, not that you should use them necessarily. What you can do is try to wall her out. Bair is really good for this, but despite Sheik's limited dash dance, she can maneuver around this and get a grab.
Aside from edgeguarding, waveshine is reliable and should be comboed into up something or dsmash usually, be sure to keep shine unstale though (pummel before throws at higher percents, or just do fewer waveshines before starting a juggle). Try to keep aerials low to the ground. You probably shouldn't go for uthrow uair at zero, you can do some utilts or usmash into a bair.
Just focus on putting hitboxes between you and her that push her away if you don't want to be grabbed, and otherwise keeping pressure tight, and movement difficult to track.
Also, nair to nair to nair is the combo that works on literally every character after some percent. Once it starts to knock down, it forces a tech-chase or edgeguard when she DIs so you can't directly combo.
Sheik's OoS game is also bad from behind, like most characters. If you condition her not to challenge your pressure, you can probably expect a wavedash or roll away if you drill the back of her shield.

Last edited:
Top Bottom