• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shiek vs Samus

Arabi

Smash Rookie
My friend, who plays as Samus, gives me a lot of trouble as Shiek. The main problem I have is approaching him, because he is CC ***** and spams the down-tilt and down-smash like no other. He also uses the stupid charge attack, which really sets off my momentum. What is the best way to approach Samus?

On a completely unrelated note, how do you wavedash out of shield? I went to tournament recently (granted I'm somewhat new at the game, but I do know how to wavedash, l-cancel, short hop etc. fairly well) and noticed that players were consistently doing that.

darE::to::Dream

Smash Journeyman
Needles cancel projectiles. Stop getting hit by CC attacks and grab him? Wavedash out of shield by wavedashing out of shield. Some people use L or R for the shield, then the other trigger for the wavedash.

Arabi

Smash Rookie
Sorry if my intial post seemed somewhat unclear. I did read the guide posted earlier. Against Samus, needle cancels and a strong grab game seem to really mess him up. Would you preferentially do a down throw each time. I find that the up throw sets him up nicely for the uair or fair. What do you think?

cablepuff

Smash Ace
up throw can be escape out of.. down throw gurantees netural, fair or up-air depnding on percentage.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I main Sheik and one of my good friends plays Samus. At first I too had problems approaching. My advice is one, if your on a stage with platforms utilize them. Two, learn how to time the spot/point dodge (the dodge you do when you tilt down while holding L or R) well. Lastly jump over the oncoming projectiles needling if necessary and always fast falling. As for which throw is most effective... of course this depends on the percent Samus is at but generally speaking I find the down throw most useful; Samus is floaty enough already why throw her up and let her get farther away from you.

alvin224

Smash Cadet
the best way to get samus is a dthrow to an air attack... execpt bair... i mean it works but not that much KB (knock back) and its easy to counter. at low precent you can dthrow and then shorthop needle... and then combo his ***... when he is off the edge, needle the bomb things when he comes back... and try and ledge stall bair... that always works for me... just another way to get her

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
samus isnt like other character in that shes not a pixie - she doesnt just spam combo after combo after combo like someone like fox, falco or marth might do.

she likes her space, mindgames, and the ability to stand on the other side of the stage for free attacks.

simply put - you have to constantly pressure samus - if youve given samus the space to be missiling, youre at an instnat disadvantage.

learning to use the platforms ESPCIALLY on stages like battlefield is a must - needle cancelling on platforms, and as phanna has recently noted, using edge drop cancelling <landing on the very edge and falling off as to cancel all lag> is INCREDIBLY useful for shiek, as all her aerials can work very easily with this

for edgeguarding problems - same thing, up+b onto a platform and edgecancel it if you can would be awesome XD

but remember samus has an awesome "stand still" game on the edge - if you roll, ge3t up, or try an attack, dsmash will get you. so its the mindgames - jump onto stage, airdodge on and hold your shield is good.

---

also, it takes a very good samus to spam grab on you without you getting lots of free hits. your shield is a safe haven.

however, DONT think that you should spam shield - if youre shielding, youre not pressuring samus, and youre losing your advantage.

Arabi

Smash Rookie
One problem I have with the Samus d-smash is that it reverses your position, such that your back is facing Samus. Should I reverse needle while in the air? I find that I am forced to use my up+b because my back is facing the ledge. this gives Samus easy opportunities to edge-guard. What do you guys do in this situation? Any tips?

Jose Andres Herrera

Smash Cadet
I understand you, I hate "gay" Samus. It is very hard to approach them and when you do so they either do the SuperWaveDash and move away or you are highly damaged.

The 'best' way to approach is to evade the projectiles... by blocking them with the shield and when you get near Samus hit him with the needles and keep him in the air to combo him.

Short Hop's - Press the X or Y very quickly and letting go before the character leaves the ground. This will result in a shorter than normal jump.

PANTSMAGEE

Smash Apprentice
umm sheik is not any use against samus . Just swich into zelda and do her B attack and it sends all the missles and projectiles back if they r strong if they aren't then it just fanishes.

Arabi

Smash Rookie
If you are playing a good Samus (one who knows how to l-cancel, wavedash, etc), then Zelda reflector is just way to slow to combat Samus. Shiek is the better option.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
up throw can be escape out of.. down throw gurantees netural, fair or up-air depnding on percentage.
Indeed, the down throw is good against Samus. I'm not sure the exact %, but the fair can be used almost all the time, out of down throw. They're usable in low % damage, sometimes multiple times, and can also be kill moves. Downthrow is definitely useful at most %.

Kit-Tsukasa

Smash Cadet
Shiek has needles to stop Samus's projectiles in their tracks. However, when Samus becomes a melee fighter, that's where Shiek doesn't always have the advantage since Shiek's attacks tend to not have enough priority against good Samus's. Zelda on the other hand has some range in her melee attacks.

Basically, if the Samus you're fighting is just going to be a camper, go to Shiek and spam needles to rack up damage while trying to get close. If they start moving, fight off a bit with Shiek then switch to Zelda and kill them. Repeat as necessary.

Watty

Smash Lord
juss pm drephen he has gotta be the best in the world at the match up he knows it to perfection

Banks

Smash Hero
if the samus is camping, throw needles, as they approach use spaced fair, spaced enough so that a CC dsmash will not hit you. only use tilts when the samus is moving, or they will CC. dont use bair too much, they will cc. basically they will only get lots of damage if u do stupid stuff they CC into a dsmash or w/e.

Top Bottom