• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shiek Mentality: Thinking like Shiek

TRb

Smash Cadet
Big switch. I'd just try to watch your play as much as possible and see what you are doing different from more established players (KK, M2K etc) and then adjusting. I keep a journal too, so there is that. Basically trying to calibrate your auto-pilot if that makes sense

The Lemon

Smash Cadet
Funny, I'm a Sheik main who used to second Ganon, but then I played around with Pikachu and now Pikachu is my 2nd.

I actually think that the 2 characters are somewhat similar in a couple of way. Both have fairs as big weapons so you spend most of your time facing your opponent, but your mobility is not quite good enough to always approach with a SHFFL'ed fair. You can sometimes, but it become predictable and punishable. Sheik's is definitely hard to punish, but still similar.

I would say to start, you can think of Sheik as a faster and smaller... and more boring depending on who you are... Ganon without the WL gimmicks. Oh, and you have a projectile now too. ^_^

I think when picking up a new character, you should start with the fundamentals. To me, those are spacing, movement, and punishes.
Spacing- know the range of you moves. Not just where the hitboxes extend to, but things like, how far will my dash attack hit, or how far will my WD OoS reach to, or how far can I jump with a SH (maybe to jump over a Falco laser for an approach)
Movement- Should be able to WD/WL, needle cancel, shino stall, and just generally navigate platforms on all stages. It also can be helpful to know which platforms are low enough for you land on with a SH
Punishes- Sheik's combo game should be fairly simple to learn, and not too difficult to execute, but it still takes time to develop a 6th sense for how to comob, but in the long run, you should not really be using much brain power on how to combo people

As for how to think like a Sheik, I would just say the main thing is patience. A lot of people nowadays are saying that Sheik is more of a defensive character, and should be approaching much, but more baiting out attacks and counterattacking. It's kinda hard to tell when you watch high level play, but often times, this is how the Sheiks get their hits in.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Ask yourself:
1. How can I tag on a bit of safe damage to reduce the period they can crouch cancel me?
2. How can I condition my oponent to be above me?
3. How can I ensure that I stay grounded and never above my opponent in neutral game.
3. What recovery option will they choose? And how can I cover that option?

In other words; Sheik likes the opponent to be at roughly 60%.
She has no efficient hitboxes below her. The only time you can jump on top of your opponent is when he is already knocked down (true combo, a tech chase situation or in rare edge guard situations).
She likes to do 2 hit combos consisting of a setup/lay up and then send the opponent horizontally off with a Fair.
Sheik has all the tools to handle recoveries from the whole roster. Your job is to predict what option they will choose and possibly cover that option along with another option at the same time.

Last edited:

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
For anyone who gets this Avatar: The Last Airbender reference: when they try to take down the Fire Nation drill, I believe the same logic can be applied with Sheik:
-Being patient by cutting here and there= Sheik's defense
-Using little but effective attacks instead of powerful ones=Sheik's tilts and aerials

So you see what I'm getting at. Sheik relies on the grabs, and the tech chases that follow after. You have to be quick, and find balance between playing it safe, and also taking high risk/high reward chances

Top Bottom