• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shffle & L-Cancel questions

PurpleBaloon

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,
I did some searching before creating this thread and it seems that no one has had similar confusion as i have had so I decided it was time to just get up and ask.( also my first post, so i hope this thread is in the right location also).
Anyways, I have always had a bit of confusion with l canceling. I feel decent at smash ( i compete and usually land somewhere in the middle of the placing system) but i always felt the barrier separating me form good to amazing was me not doing things as fast as possible, specifically in the area of l-canceling. When the concept was introduced i was confused, i managed to convince myself that L-canceling could be achieved through wave landing because the air-dodge into the ground as you fell would cancel the landing animation itself. I've been looking at some frame data and I now feel like that is not the technique. I've read that the l-cancel is simple, so can someone explain it to me (how to correctly input ie. joy stick location as you press l, stuff of that nature) so i can break this wave-landing barrier I've created. Maby with the frame data to so i can understand how much time i earn executing it the right way compared to the way I thought it worked with wave landing.
Thanks, I appreciate anyone who actually reads this and helps me very much.

Fortress

Smash Master
I'll try to break these things down for you so you can get these two techniques squared away.
so can someone explain it to me (how to correctly input ie. joy stick location as you press l, stuff of that nature)
All
an L-Cancel is, is pressing L, R, or Z (I use R, personally), the moment before your character lands on the ground during an aerial attack. Nothing more with the sticks.

When the concept was introduced i was confused, i managed to convince myself that L-canceling could be achieved through wave landing because the air-dodge into the ground as you fell would cancel the landing animation itself.
L-cancelling cannot be done during a waveland, since doing a waveland/dash requires you to do an airdodge, and you cannot air dodge during an attack. Some attacks (such as Link's back aerial) are interruptable at a certain point (known as Interruptable-As-Soon-As (or, IASA)), and a waveland out of them is an option you can choose. But that's another topic.

Maby with the frame data to so i can understand how much time i earn executing it the right way compared to the way I thought it worked with wave landing.
In terms of frame data, L-Cancelling literally halves the amount of landing frames you go through during an aerial normal (note that I say 'normal' since you cannot L-Cancel specials). So, with Link's Down Aerial, you'd go from having 28 frames of recovery to 14.

If you've performed the technique correctly, your character will flash white, is something to note.

I also recommend bookmarking this video, referring to it often throughout the course of your career.

Last edited:

PurpleBaloon

Smash Rookie
I have no idea how i never noticed i cant wave dash if i try it during an attack. Thank you so much.

Top Bottom