• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shenanigans with CPUs

TipO'TheMorning

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5047-5155
As you probably know, CPUs in this game can be very interesting. Post your funny stories involving CPUs here! I'll go ahead and tell mine. One time, I was a Ganondorf playing against a Luigi. I just Ganoncided twice and won without a scratch (Ganoncide kills the opponent before you, in case you were wondering). Another time, I was fighting a Jigglypuff as Marth, and they kept using roll-out but would just go back and forth without targeting me. So when they used roll-out for like the third time, I was like, "No need to keep my guard up; they're just gonna derp around again." And as I stood there, they went STRAIGHT for me and smacked me off guard. Clever. Verrrry clever. Finally, I was once fighting a DK as Marth (DKs often give me a hard time). I just jabbed him off the stage, and I thought, "Imagine if the jab -> f-smash combo worked here!" So I used f-smash just for fun. And guess what? It tipped DK, who was below the ledge trying to recover, and KO'd his last stock. It was a hilarious display of how wonky the hitboxes can be in this game.
So, what are some of your funny CPU stories?

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
So, what are some of your funny CPU stories?
Considering I play almost exclusively vs. CPU, I definitely have quite a few of those. Some right off the top of my head:
Luigi occasionally tries to recover under Battlefield (which is kind of neat and I haven't seen any other character do it), but he sometimes has a tendency to go out of his way to avoid the ledge with his Up-B and SD's instead.
Via random select, there was once an incident where 3 times in the same play session, I was placed against Wii Fit Trainer on Lylat Cruise.
Also via random select, when I pick Bayonetta (or get her via random), I have a tendency to be placed against Jigglypuff on Dream Land.
Don't you just love it when you're about to whiff a move vs. Mario/Doc and get Caped?
I once out-camped a Duck Hunt... as Captain Falcon (and won).

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there will be more later.

TipO'TheMorning

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5047-5155
Luigi occasionally tries to recover under Battlefield (which is kind of neat and I haven't seen any other character do it), but he sometimes has a tendency to go out of his way to avoid the ledge with his Up-B and SD's instead.
Reminds me of Wii Fit Trainer, and that they never seem to want to use their Up-B to their fullest extent. They're like, "Eh, who needs to go full recovery? I'll just slightly hover and not reach the stage at all."

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
If you fight anybody with a counter at Level 8 or 9, they use that almost as much as your everyday For Glory scrub. In fact, if you play longer matches (like 10 stocks or more) that becomes the only reliable way for them to kill you: chipping damage on you until you're such a ridiculously high percent where you can die by getting your Jab countered. This happens because none of the swordsmen in the game have any sort of easy instakill button the CPUs can abuse to try and kill you, so they either kill you with a counter or if you run into the thousands of Smash attack they spam on Neutral if you're near kill percent. Landing counters for them is pretty easy anyway, with that bonkers reaciton time of theirs.
I've had them using counter up to 3 times in a row in some desperate attempt to land it, which is pretty funny.
I also find funny how easy it can be to exploit and decompile their AI sometimes if you play them for long enough. I've JV3'd Ness CPU on Level 9 multiple times because his AI doesn't really seem clever to even just try not to lose Neutral, let alone having any disadadvantage state other than "hope my instant reaction time saves me,". So for me it's always a good laugh giving him a JV3.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I'll rarely play against them except for when I'm bored, trying to warm up just a bit, or am waiting for my friend to head over. My punching bag of choice is typically Bowser. No matter how high their level may be sometimes they're still plenty stupid to be fun.

Whenever I'm playing Bayonetta against Bowser I like to knock him off-stage and proceed to spam Witch Twist just to see how many times I can land it. It will constantly try to recover, and even when I know there's no way it can come back I still choose to use Witch Twist on it because why not? Sometimes I'll even throw in off-stage Witch Times to add in extra torme- I mean fun with it.

Once I even managed to Witch Time > Preform Witch Twist > Jump off Bowsers head > Proceeded to meteor smash it with her Dair > Then managed to jump off his head at the blast zone and make it back to the stage. I really wish I did that against a player...

Other than that, I was once using King Dedede against a Ness CPU who thought it would be a good idea to try to use his F-Smash as soon as I used my Gordo near him. Somehow it deflected it, but I still managed to hit it at the same time. The end result?

His percentage skyrocketed and it was pretty much instant death. A CPU actually managed to make me laugh.

I also have ton of Amiibo training stories as well, but I suppose I'll save those for another day.

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I remember a few months back when I was messing around in training mode with a Lv. 4 :4miisword: equipped with side special 1. I ran away to the far right side of Temple, and Swordsman walked up to me and did Airborne Assault. But I jumped over her and she flew off the stage into the side blast line. Similar to a bad level 9 :luigimelee:, I would say. Pity that CPUs aren't like they were in Melee since victory against level nine Melee CPUs is almost certain.

Top Bottom