• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHELLSHIFTING AND HYDROPLANING: now with TUTORIAL VID!!!!!

Yumil

Smash Cadet
He sent me a video where he demonstrated the hyrdoplaned fsmash, but I can't get it off of my Wii. I'll send it to someone else who can, though. I was just talking to him about it and he said he found it while trying to use the fsmash for mindgames. To quote:

"The timing is really weird"

edit: I think this topic needs a sticky.
I wish you had put your wii fc on your profile(sending things takes that I think). Well, if you add me, Ill add you after I get off from work ~10 pm central and Ill wait for you to send it. I'll up the vid soon after. Just give me your wii fc and thatll be that.

showdownkiller

Smash Cadet
My FC is now in my signature. I'll try sending it to you now.

edit: he made it as a demonstration vid for me, so there's a lot of other random squirtle techniques/other shellfshifting/stuff/short hopping/other stuff a noob wouldn't know. He definitely does it in the first minute once or twice (my untrained eyes can't tell exactly what's new or not, but I saw him sliding into an fsmash near the 1:00 mark).

Teef And Claws

Smash Rookie
This is my theory if the hydroplane->F smash is correct or Hplane to grab, then i'll likely be wrong

Hmm…. When I try to hydroplane with jump tap set to off it doesn’t work for me. What this leads me to believe is that when squirtle hydroplanes what is happening is when you press up he begins to jump but the up smash cancels the jump just like any character can cancel theirs with a up smash. But what I think happens is squirtle gains the great momentum he has in the air? Unfortunately nothing else cancels the jump so up smash seems to be the only option.

Also to bypass the tap jump set to off you can hydro plain by mashing up, jump, and attack button at the same time.

Edit: Hplane works with jc'ed item throws... it's actually pretty sweet for follow ups!
After throwing the item any attempt to charge the F smash just seems to cancel the slide D smash works fine wuth this

Yumil

Smash Cadet
I have had Shellshift->grab slide a lot further than normal(Like I went across FD once), but it barely ever happens. Sometimes I slide so fast its like Im warping across the stage>.< It tends to only happen when I Shellshift away and grab towards, but only happens once in a while(I guess Im close to the timing on it). I'm trying to catch it on video...so hopefully I will.

Another thing I havent been able to reproduce was a super slide without grabbing/attacking/anything. I was playing around trying to reproduce the hydroplaned grab and my finger slipped tapping the shield button and the grab button. I dont know how hard or fast I did it as it was a slip up, but it produced a slide without an attack attempt. I wish it was during the time I was trying to capture the grab slide, but alas it was when I was trying to reproduce it so I was sure what was happening>.< I probably should just record all the time I play, but meh.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
ah alright

but i think in brawl you can also use normal matches about as good as the training mode, because you can give yourself and other ones damage... you just cant switch from human to cpu or something like that as easily (or items)
so i figure it´d be better to always use the normal mode because you have the replay advantage

Darr06

Smash Cadet
all right, so real quick, can someone just give a quick rundown of exactly how to do this because i've been trying it and i'm still not getting it. help?

Yumil

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it probably would if I only took 3 minutes. BUT, I do have a capture card along with a video distribution amplifier set up, I could easily record all the time if I wanted to>.< I dont know why I dont.

Yumil

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the double post, but this is separate from the last one. Showdown sent me that replay, so here is the sliding fsmash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ6OiM2p3pg

Probably the very best one happens at the very end of the vid...he does other things, but there a couple of times where he slides the fsmash

Teef And Claws

Smash Rookie
Cut print it's a warp people!!! To F smash out of the shell shift: simply do the shift come out of it by tapping lightly the opposite direction your momentum is going, so you face backwards now smash and i mean smash with lightning speed the control stick back in the direct your going and hit your attack button at the same time hold to charge or release for f smash.

This also works with d Smash i can get a vid on me wii but im gonna need some practice. With perfect timing im pretty sure the slide can go as far as hydroplane but since you waste frames turning around the smash doesnt charge as much.

Edit: this is pretty much same mechanics as the super wave dash the stick in one direction one frame it in the other next sorta thing. but the turning around gives you a hydroplane if perfectly timed hcih i belive any mov can be used out of

Yumil

Smash Cadet
Cut print it's a warp people!!! To F smash out of the shell shift: simply do the shift come out of it by tapping lightly the opposite direction your momentum is going, so you face backwards now smash and i mean smash with lightning speed the control stick back in the direct your going and hit your attack button at the same time hold to charge or release for f smash.

This also works with d Smash i can get a vid on me wii but im gonna need some practice. With perfect timing im pretty sure the slide can go as far as hydroplane but since you waste frames turning around the smash doesnt charge as much.

Edit: this is pretty much same mechanics as the super wave dash the stick in one direction one frame it in the other next sorta thing. but the turning around gives you a hydroplane if perfectly timed hcih i belive any mov can be used out of
Thats probably what I was doing with the grab slides I was getting:o. Its a bit easier to do with the grab since you dont have to be quite as fast with the stick:o.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Thats probably what I was doing with the grab slides I was getting:o. Its a bit easier to do with the grab since you dont have to be quite as fast with the stick:o.
We need to get vids of this up quick. I think every PT player should get this down.

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
The best thing about squirtle is when I was experementing with his sideB. He takes no damage at all when inside withdraw. This makes the technique almost unstoppable if there is some difficulty when performing it.

Yumil

Smash Cadet
We need to get vids of this up quick. I think every PT player should get this down.
I havent been able to do the sliding fsmash, but I have done a few short sliding dsmashes. I upped a vid last night of me in training mode trying to do some of them. Its entirely unentertaining, but I can at least give you timestamps where I did the dsmashes. (NOTE: THE BGM IS A JOKE):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Wf4n_iKrE
@ ~2:30 I do a few sliding grabs, like 2 of them go a bit further than normal
@ ~3:13 Sliding Dsmash
@ 3:27 normal sliding jab that goes a bit further than normal
@ 4:20 another sliding dsmash
@ 4:24 sliding taunt:)

Thats about it. Not a fun watch, but it has some things in it.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Too many posts for me to sift through.

When my bro told me about hydroplaning, I misunderstood and practiced the wrong thing! Whenever I hydroplane an Up-smash. I do this....

Dashing, Shell-Shift, U-smash

Sound the same?

In your vid, you shell-shift and change directions and U-smash while sliding in the other direction. When I shell-shift, I U-smash before he slows down during his turn around, and just continue going in the same direction.

Don't know if that's been brought up or not, just thought I'd mention.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
This has probably already been answered, but what's the name of the song in the youtube video?

heroboy

Smash Cadet
This is Twin Dream's brother, and those of you practicing hydroplaning should check it out. It's extremely useful, and semi-shocking.

The easiest way to do what he's talking about is to be running, then smash back on the control stick, quickly performing a quarter-circle to up and press A at the same time you're pressing up.

Squirtle will fling in the original direction of the dash performing his up-smash.

You probably steal the momentum of his initial frames in his turn-around.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
OK! im glad I have somewhere to post this. I cant believe I missed posting before the afore mentioned hydroplanning, but I did post in the general pokemon trainer analysis thread.

It is completely true that you can super wavedash just by itself without any upsmash! All you have to do is when you shell shift right to left for example after you press left you have to very quickly(and by quickly I seriously mean fast) and lightly push the control stick back in the opposite youll pull off an empty hydroplane. This means you can hydroplane any attack from weak attacks to tilts to smashs or even grabs.

Since I was the one who figured out that you could just hydroplane without moves with squirtle here on Long Island I named it turtle wax, but it seems like its gonna be hard to compete with hydroplanning :dizzy:

As far as squirtle goes try this out- shell shift to weak attack, 3 uptilts, then grab
Always a nice opener for me :chuckle:

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
OK! im glad I have somewhere to post this. I cant believe I missed posting before the afore mentioned hydroplanning, but I did post in the general pokemon trainer analysis thread.

It is completely true that you can super wavedash just by itself without any upsmash! All you have to do is when you shell shift right to left for example after you press left you have to very quickly(and by quickly I seriously mean fast) and lightly push the control stick back in the opposite youll pull off an empty hydroplane. This means you can hydroplane any attack from weak attacks to tilts to smashs or even grabs.

Since I was the one who figured out that you could just hydroplane without moves with squirtle here on Long Island I named it turtle wax, but it seems like its gonna be hard to compete with hydroplanning :dizzy:

As far as squirtle goes try this out- shell shift to weak attack, 3 uptilts, then grab
Always a nice opener for me :chuckle:
I'm gonna go try out what you're talking about, however, just because you discover something doesn't mean you get to name it. It sounds like you're pivoting, but I'm not really sure about the mechanics involving pivoting in regards to motion. I just know that there's a topic called a "Pivot Wave Grab". Names are usually given to give some type of meaning to what the actual move does or it comes from precedence. So, depending on exactly what is happening, it'll be named appropriately.

-Katsuta

Smash Cadet
I don't know if anyone knows this yet, but if Tap Jump is on this becomes alot easier.

During the Shellshift to do a real easy Hydroplane all you have to do is hold up-diagonal-right in a Smashing motion and press A.

Its not very bad to time, its really sort of easy. You get more distance the more you lean it more to right than up.

Sorry if this was mentioned before but its kind of good for those who aren't very nimble with my dexterity.

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
This is a great technique!
Squirtle's U-Smash is a killer move, combined with a quick way of moving, a compact way of moving, and a flashy way of moving, it makes me consider moving Squirtle up from secondary to main.

$ilk 06

Smash Rookie
i dont know if any one has tried this but do u think hydroplane into the poke change

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Too many posts for me to sift through.

When my bro told me about hydroplaning, I misunderstood and practiced the wrong thing! Whenever I hydroplane an Up-smash. I do this....

Dashing, Shell-Shift, U-smash

Sound the same?

In your vid, you shell-shift and change directions and U-smash while sliding in the other direction. When I shell-shift, I U-smash before he slows down during his turn around, and just continue going in the same direction.

Don't know if that's been brought up or not, just thought I'd mention.
This is amazing.

f1r3 3mbl3m

Smash Cadet
instead of Hydroplaning, I think it should be called the wtfupsmash. If anyone agrees with me, please mention something. I think it's a really good name, because it makes people say almost that exact same thing. "WTF!!! Upsmash?!" See? That's why I think it should be called wtfupsmashing.

Top Bottom