• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shell Shift without tap jump issues

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I recently turned off my tap jump and now SS Usmash does not work nearly as well. I did a test in practice going back and forth between control schemes and can only do it with tap jump on. How do I work around this?

Last edited:

Jawsome

Smash Apprentice
I have tap Jump off and I set L to Jump so I can hydroplane easier, and it's worked pretty well for me for awhile. So I suggest setting whichever shield button (L or R) that you don't use to jump and see if that works

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
Yea I did the same as Jawsome and set my L to Jump. i actually prefer it this way because now SSUS is off the c stick which is very similar to how I use to do DACUS

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
I have tap Jump off and I set L to Jump so I can hydroplane easier, and it's worked pretty well for me for awhile. So I suggest setting whichever shield button (L or R) that you don't use to jump and see if that works
I might have to try this. I've wanted to disable tap jump for a while now, but last time I tried I realized that I instinctively use tap-jump to jump-cancel out of shields and shines and stuff. Guess I'll just have to remap my muscle memory over time

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
to do pivot-canceled up smash without tap-jump you need great timing and precision on your control-stick angles. After inputting pivot (where your control stick is 10:30 on a clock) you hit jump (theoretically the X button) then immediately hit A and change the control stick to 11:30 (or 12) and you should get a nice fast forward sliding up-smash. It takes a LONG time to get down, it aint no SSF-smash.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
I hate to say this, but it's a lot easier to just use the C-stick for aerials and turn on tap jump.
I completely agree, but I took the time to learn without tap-jump so I'm not going to go back, some people just really don't like tap jump

jdmcwombat

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashWombat
3DS FC
0087-2587-4693
...some people just really don't like tap jump
I can respect that. I was the same way. I used my unused jump button to hydroplane (Fancy-schmancy term for SS USmash) before. I would press Y and A at the same time when I would do an up smash by habit.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Learning to play with tap jump will improve your execution and control over the degree to which you tilt. It may cause you to unintentionally jump a lot at first but it'll make your life easier when you get better and you want to do certain techniques quickly and consistently.

I can understand if you've been playing like that for a long time (like a couple years) but if you are just learning I think it is worth it to learn, even if its a bit frustrating initially.

Top Bottom