• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shell shift --> up tilt?

slugmax

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,
So, I really hope this isn't a dumb question (still pretty new at this whole smash thing), but by accident (practicing the hydroplane up smash, pressing A too early) I noticed that you can totally pull an up tilt (or any other tilt or jab) out of a shell shift, which gives you a nice little slide while you're tilting.

My question here is is this useful? It seems like you can combo the hit on the shift into the up tilt, but I haven't tested enough to know how plausible that is in reality. I also wonder if you can just use it to fish for a raw hit on a tilt (something like wavedash forward to bait something, then dash away, shift into tilt back for the punish) I'm assuming I'm not the first person to do this, but I don't believe I've seen it come up with the Squirtle matches I've seen, but I haven't been looking out for it, so I could have just missed it. Are the other tilt options usable as well?

Nigh7

Smash Rookie
Yeah you can use anything out of shell shift this is because its his own version of turnaround.
So other tilts are also usable ,grabs and smashes are also usable.
The reason you might not see it a lot is because squirtles wavedash is a lot longer so you can make any other moves come out with more slide motion compared to the anything out of shell shift {other then up smash which is hydroplaning}
But it might be usable in terms of your opponent thinking of you using a hydroplane so it could be a good mix-up to use.
Hope this helped.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Yeah you can use anything out of shell shift this is because its his own version of turnaround.
The reason you might not see it a lot is because squirtles wavedash is a lot longer so you can make any other moves come out with more slide motion compared to the anything out of shell shift {other then up smash which is hydroplaning}
But it might be usable in terms of your opponent thinking of you using a hydroplane so it could be a good mix-up to use.
Hope this helped.
This is a lie

You can go way farther with hydroplanes

slugmax

Smash Rookie
Hope this helped.

Finally had a chance to try it out in some real games. I didn't find a whole lot of situations where it seemed overly useful, but I had good luck using it like you would a hydroplane up smash. Rather than as a mixup, I was liking it as a sneakier way to start early up tilt/ up angled f tilt combos. To me it seemed neat, but I don't think it's going to come up a whole lot (maybe it will in certain match ups. I don't get to play as much as I'd like to) Either way, I think it's another cool tool to have in my back pocket. Thanks :).

Top Bottom