• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shell dancing.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
So I've been thinking, I haven't had much time to play PM lately but as a budding player I'm loving squirrel and am certainly making him a main, I just love the slippery little guy so much. But I've been wondering, what's the potential for squirtle's dash dance? Or as I've so aptly named it, shell dance. With the hit box from the turn around animation and the distance from going back and forth (and possibly shell armor? Does his turn around have that?) anyways, to the point. Since squirtle's dance is so special I'm wondering what applied uses it could have aside from what normal DD's are used for, mind games and keeping momentum.

Forgive me if this has been brought up, but I felt the need to ask. I'm sure it's not something that would be crucial unlike his hydrosmashes/tilts but still, a weapon's a weapon even if situational.

So anyways, what do you think? Has anyone played around with it?

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
I think if there's a break in the game you should (almost) always spam it.
You have lots of options out of it, but i don't know all the names for stuff, so i'm not going to try to list it :D (all smashes with different boosts, jab-boost,grab-boost, jump-boost, the standard turnaround hitbox to grab/jab-reset/smash or tilt....)

Main reason why i like squirtle still, i'm not so fond of most of his other stuff.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
like what? (don't you like?) :o
also i know about that stuff, but i was saying more specifically shellshifting back and forth repeatedly, sort of like dash dancing but activating his turn around animation each time, i was wondering if it would be of any use and if so, what use?

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
Well, the only use is that you keep the enemy guessing, as it offers alot of options.

apart from that, the only thing you can get from its hitbox is a jab-reset, a smash, or a grab if they don't fall... (as mentioned already)
Its more of a gimmick than really useful

What i don't like: I always felt like SideB was the most effective approach for squirtle, and i don't like linear attacks like Sonics B moves, Warios SideB and Squritles SideB. (or Ike SideB/Zeldas UpB, eventhough i like those a bit better). I haven't used DownB to its full potential yet, but i feel kinda limited as i don't get along well with his shorthop height and possibilities. not a big fan of bair and fair, eventhough they're decent moves, yet i didn't really feel the moves. I guess its their priority i don't like. Also before 2.6 his throws weren't what i expected (especially upthrow) and i still haven't shaken that feel for 2.6

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I disagree with pretty much every statement in your last paragraph.

also, there is a lot more that you can can do with the shell shift hitbox than what you listed.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
well burnsy, then thanks for adding.
I don't main squirtle and dhaven't played him that much, but i felt like the options i listed are the best... maybe you can do shorthop dair and do something after that, or dash-attack, or any attack that you want, but hey... what do i know

and the last paragraph was simply personal preference.... how can you disagree with every statement if its how i perceived the moves? I just reread it and before every "statement" there is "i feel" or "i felt".

Please, enlighten me.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
It's exactly because it's an opinion and not hardened fact that he can disagree with it yomi. But that's detracting from the topic, which is what use can be made of that turn around, besides what's listed in that nuetral guide. (Being able to turn any of your grounded moves into a sliding DACUS type move is pretty amazing) but I'm wondering more about that little hitbox itself and the armor with it (checked 2.6b changes it does have armor)

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Squirtle can pivot to face them immediately after hitting them or their sheild with the shell shift hitbox, and combo/pressure into any of his grounded moves from there. In particular, his tilts can all lead to bigger damage when they follow a shellshift>pivot.

Of course, it can also combo into some of his air moves since he can jump out of SS, just keep in mind the timing is pretty strict.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
Sorry for being kinda edgy there, and thanks for the pivot suggestion, that sounds kinda awesome!
I never knew how to pressure when they're in their shield, but shellshift to pivot grab might work like a charm :D

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Shell shift >jump > Bair > ????
Shell shift to bubble is probably too slow and unsafe right?
God I wish I could get on my wii right now

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Ok well I got to play against some friends today, I shell shifted ad comboed into up smash pretty easily, but I think it's cuz she didn't DI, I got her when she was still in the air so I'm pretty sure there was enough hit stun to actually combo.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Shellshift>hyrdroplane usmash is legit, I'd imagine that it's very difficult to DI away from the usmash, assuming it's even possible.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
That's the thing I didn't hydroplane it, I hit her with shell shifts hitbox and immediately up smashed. But yeah I get it, also, using hydroplaning in an actual match takes getting used to man.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Yea, I guess. I only really have difficulty with hydroplane dsmash, but it's not much more usefull than wavedash dsmash anyways.

Top Bottom