• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik's Specials (Chain/Transform)

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Would it be beneficial at any point to learn about Sheik's chain? I mean, I've seen humorous use of it in melee, but is there any point at all in PM? It literally seems like a wasted slot of a move. As well as Transform, unless you have a solid Zelda to Fall on.

Alex~

Smash Cadet
It's a good move for jokes, obviously, but when used at the edge against certain characters (such as ganon or CF) it can rack up big damage rather quickly. Also, I would recommend learning zelda if you're a sheik main :)

4tlas

Smash Lord
It has no use in PM except for the chain jacket glitch. Its Brawl's chain (which can't hit aerial opponents with the sweetspot, so there's nearly no hitstun) but with Melee physics (which means it clumps up on itself so the hitboxes are always in the wrong spots).

I can use it in Brawl to zone because of how slow that game is. I can use it in Melee to damage opponents trying to reach ledge because of how hard it is to recover. Its unusable in PM.

As for Transform, I'm a Sheilda main, so I obviously recommend it. If you have any sort of a Zelda at all, Transform becomes a recovery move by itself. Just jump and immediately Transform out of hitstun, and you'll go flying. Zelda also falls slower so its easier to drift back to the stage. Transform back at your leisure. If you do it off of the spawn platform, you keep your invuln in PM.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
My Zelda is kinda solid, but it's all stemming from general fundamentals. Idk a lot about the character specifically.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I'd have to take a look. I kinda only used her every once in a while. Not really sure if theres much of a difference Zelda would make for me when it comes to using her. I think sheik just handles match ups better. But, like I said, my experience is limited with her.

4tlas

Smash Lord
I'd have to take a look. I kinda only used her every once in a while. Not really sure if theres much of a difference Zelda would make for me when it comes to using her. I think sheik just handles match ups better. But, like I said, my experience is limited with her.
While Sheik does better overall for sure, what's more important is that they do things differently. If you're more practiced at switching between the 2 mindsets than your opponent, it can be very useful.

Tarul

Smash Cadet
Another thing people should consider is that Zelda and Sheik can be used at different percents. Consider Sheik vs Roy when both characters are at 0%. Sheik's going to take a lot of damage if Roy gets a hit, and Roy can CC through a lot of Sheik's moves at this percent. Thus, from a "Sheik is the better character" perspective, Zelda can be used to wrack up damage until it's safe enough to switch to Sheik.

The other instance is that Sheik is basically dead when she hits 100%. Most characters will send her far enough off stage with a strong tilt/throw that she'll be easily edgeguarded if she does make it back. Zelda not only has a better recovery, but excels at getting poke damage/trades when an opponent is thirsty for the approach.

Overall, I think Zelda is a worse character than Sheik, and that Sheik is probably the better matchup for every single matchup. However, there are certain situations in every matchup where I think that Zelda excels over Sheik (high percent, recovering, killing off spaced aerials) that makes having a secondary Zelda definitely worth it.

It's a shame that her movement feels so BAD though.

Last edited:

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Air to Ground Chain has validity (start the move in the air, but land before you gain control of it). It locks in the aerial version of the chain's hitboxes while swinging it on the ground, which is helpful for occasional walling as these hitboxes have nontrivial hitstun (around 25 frames on hit) and more damage.

The "chain drag" trick exploits the mechanic of the chain's hitboxes refreshing when hitting a solid surface such as the ground. It can be used with both the ground chain hitboxes and the air hitboxes via the AtG technique. By repeatedly moving the chain back and forth along the ground in front of or behind Sheik just a step, it causes the chain's hitrate to skyrocket. With the aerial hitboxes, this technique also punishes CCs on a Peach Dsmash level.

Top Bottom