• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik's Matchup Discussion Thread: Kirby

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345

While not an especially strong fighter on his own, Kirby can give Sheik a lot of trouble due to his size, floaty weight, Inhale, etc. I'll build a synopsis in this post from the input below.

Synopsis from below
The Kirby matchup can be an incredibly irritating one for Sheik. Kirby is a small, light character, which means that most of Sheik's combos will either be cut short or will not work at all. In addition to this, his Inhale is one of his best tools against Sheik and should be avoided at all costs. Giving Kirby such a versatile projectile as Needles is dangerous.

Stage control and spacing are key. Kirby can't be allowed to use Inhale or two execute his Dtilt/throw combos. It's best to let Kirby to approach, as his options are limited.

Kirby board's Sheik matchup thread

Last edited:

iceman9746

Smash Cadet
You need to use good stage control in this mu. It's an annoying MU for sheik for sure but the gameplan is you want to force the kirby to have as little stage as possible. Getting d throw combos for kills on kirby is hard due to his floatiness,so you got be more creative for it maybe making a read or knocking him off stage at high percents and fairing. People who use floaty characters tend to air dodge more so try to read it if you notice this as a habit. Walling with fair works pretty well because kirby lacks the range to do much. Really try your best to not get inhaled because kirby with needles can be very troublesome for sheik. Dealing with a kirby that likes to down tilt a lot is annoying for sheik but can be dealt with a well spaced fair, if he shields then tomahawk grab him.
CP's
I personally like bigger stages for this MU, as it gives more room for us sheiks to play passively and escape bad situations due to kirby's poor mobility. So good stages would be T&C, FD, SV, DH. The other stages arent bad for sheik either but i like thes 4 better for this MU.

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
If kirbys want to crouch I wait until i get fully charged needles before approaching. Kirby has bad approach options, dont get hit by a grab/utilt at low%, he doesnt have reliable kill options out of reads

Not a fun matchup at all but doable with the right strategy

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
I am just going to say that this is a top 3 worst MUs for Sheik.... maybe a top 1 even?
AND FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS LOVABLE, DON'T GET SUCKED!

et3rnal

Smash Rookie
Little tidbit, if Kirby ever down b's on stage, run up upsmash will tipper them as they release the transformation, and in this matchup, tipper up smash kills pretttty early.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Little tidbit, if Kirby ever down b's on stage, run up upsmash will tipper them as they release the transformation, and in this matchup, tipper up smash kills pretttty early.
But they can also mixup and don't release the transformation at all.... and his Down B has great kill potential.

et3rnal

Smash Rookie
But they can also mixup and don't release the transformation at all.... and his Down B has great kill potential.
Im fairly certain you can react to it and itll connect if they dont instantly airdodge, which puts you back in neutral. Otherwise, you can make a read off whether they release it or not.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Combo Percentages:
- F-Throw > BF -

DI Away - 0% to 5%
DI Up and Away (optimal DI) - Does not work

- Bair > BF -
No DI - 45% to 90%
- F-tilt > F-tilt -
No DI - 15% to 28%
- F-tilt > Fair -
No DI - Starts at 29%
- F-tilt > UpSmash -
No DI - 45% to 50%
- Weak Nair > BF -
DI away (optimal DI) - 80% to 115%

We don't have any good charts for kill percentages, and if we do I can't find them.

Now for some notes.
DON'T GET SWALLOWED! Yeah I think that's kinda obvious now. Don't do it. I can make it seem even worse for Sheik when I tell you Kirby can do ALL of Sheik's needle tech. Yes, all of it. A Kirby who puts in the time to learn our tech will be knowledgable on the matchup, and they will beat you. Don't do it.
BUT, just in case you do, here are a few things to note. When Kirby steals your ability you are shot upwards, and if you Dair instantly you can punish him. There was a video on this somewhere but I can't find it, and it may have been patched as it didn't work for me against my kirby friend.
If Kirby gets your needles you can buffer a side b when he throws them and the nade shell will drop at your feet. See this thread for grenade shell info: http://smashboards.com/threads/nade-shell-tech-and-tricks.385039/

According to this write up (http://pastebin.com/pGWwE1Q0) Kirby can duck under these moves of Sheik's:
  1. Grab - No
  2. B - Yes
  3. B> - No
  4. BV - Sometimes
  5. B^ - No
  6. A Combo - First jab only
  7. Ftilt - No
  8. Utilt - No
  9. Usmash - No
  10. Fsmash - Sometimes
  11. Dash attack - No
His crouch does not protect him from falling Fair, Nair, or Bair, but does allow him to avoid a falling Uair.

That's all I've got for now, may add more later.
All combo percentages were taken from these threads:
http://smashboards.com/threads/b-air-to-bouncing-fish-confirmation.416207/
http://smashboards.com/threads/shei...-into-usmash-beginning-combo-percents.385002/
http://smashboards.com/threads/bouncing-sushi-weak-nair-into-bouncing-fish-combo-thread.386688/
http://smashboards.com/threads/sheik-fthrow-into-bouncing-fish-combos-complete.377874/
Credit where credit is due.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Some ZSS lads say walk to down tilt works for them against kirby so maybe it would work for Sheik as well?

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Some ZSS lads say walk to down tilt works for them against kirby so maybe it would work for Sheik as well?
ZSS dtilt is lower than her normal crouch, as is her crouch walk. It's lower than sheik's so not as useful for us.

Top Bottom