• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik's dthrow/bthrow DI "trap"

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't work. The dthrow is good, but the bthrow has a slow enough animation that you can DI it on reaction. And the release angle on the bthrow is more situational and harder to follow up on to begin with.

I guess I understand the nerf to her melee throw (though like everyone and their mom says, its stupid that Pit got the same thing). But her throw mixup should be a more legitimate 50/50. If the whole animation sped up and the release happened as quickly as dthrow it'd be a tiny change that would make it so much better. And I'm not sure if its just people DI'ing the bthrow better, but like I said before the release angle seems to make it harder to get followups/regrabs off of a bthrow than a dthrow. What's up with that? Is it necessary to make it so that downwards or upwards DI isn't an option select for both throws?

While I'm at it, ****ing lol at the requests for buffed recovery like brawl's chain tether. "Free recoveries are broken and stupid, give my character one as well". Ha. Sheik's only problem is that getting grabbed by her isn't as terrifying as it should be.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Fun fact: You are wrong. Both dthrow and bthrow release frame 16 on the entire cast. So they are the same speed. Also, the angle on bthrow is higher (67 for bthrow, 62 for dthrow), usually meaning it would be easier to combo out of, so they issue isn't the angle, it's the release point, but the release point is actually really useful against semi-fast fallers. While 15 frames (that's when you would have to begin holding the stick in order to DI on the next frame) is well within human reaction time, the first few frames of the throw animations are remarkably similar, reducing your effective time to react to ~12 frames give-or-take. Add in the time it takes to move the stick, 1-2 frames, and the fact that most people won't begin reacting on the first obviously different animation frames but rather will probably base their reaction of which throw you are using on a string of frames. It's probably possible to still react to, but it would require an absurd amount of practice and strict mental training of teaching yourself to react based on the first frame that is visibly different between the throws rather than looking for a video cue (a string of a few frames), and then it would be that much harder to do this consistently in-game and in stressful situations. I would bet money nobody can do it now.

Also: pit doesn't have Melee sheik's NTSC dthrow. People saying this are ignorant.
Sheik's melee dthrow could chain grab semi fast fallers, average fallers, and semi-floaties, from 0 up to percents ranging from 20 to 100+ based on fall speed, leading into a almost any follow-up; it would also set-up tech chases on fox/falco/falcon, and guaranteed follow-ups into juggles on them around 50-70.
Pit's dthrow has way more base knockback but a similar release point and angle, and thus, chaingrabs fox/falco/wolf/falcon for absurd percents (around 140) and into a follow-up; but besides them, it CG's only semi-fast fallers (like Roy/MK/DK/Diddy) for 20-30 percent and a follow-up, and nobody else gets chain grabbed, they have to be followed up with an aerial after the first dthrow.
All these numbers assume no DI, as DI away extends the length of the CG, and semi-DI in to get a more vertical angle only shortens any of these CGs by a few percent. The numbers also assume you on playing on FD where no platforms can get in the way, when you clearly shouldn't be because you always have the option to ban it in PM.

Last edited:

JRad

Smash Apprentice
Just mess with your opponent. Lets say you do a dthrow into regrab, pause for a second when you get the next grab and do bthrow since he will think you will dthrow. Once he knows that you try to trick him with your pause, then start doing the same grab in a row. Basically **** with your opponents head and know percents, sometimes they cant get out of followups even if they DI correctly once they are on higher percent. Especially with Bthrow

Top Bottom