• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik vs Luigi Match Up

AkhmadMustafa

Smash Rookie
NNID
Akhmad
I understand that this match up is considered heavily in sheik's favor but i dont have anyone to play with to really learn the match up with so if i could learn exactly how to play neutral, edgegaurd, and punish luigi. And how luigi can do the same against sheik that would be really cool.

Thank You

Zellpree

Smash Rookie
From my experience, playing Luigi is pretty lame. Use needles to force them to approach. His wd can be slippery, and he'll try to bait grabs using it. Wait for a wiffed aerial, punish with a grab to a fast fair. Use up air a lot. Don't use tilts if you think he could nair out of hitstun, or else it will trade and you will be above Luigi. In my experience, I like smaller stages to give him less room to move around, and keep him on plats.

Edge guarding can be tricky, watch when they jump and when they down b in neutral so you know if they have those options. You can use the Marth killer against Luigi as an edge guard, but try shino stalling until he gets close, and roll up a bit earlier than you would think, otherwise he will up b you, and when you click "R" you will airdodge (alternatively you can standard get up). Grounded needles add on percent, bair from the ledge hardly ever works, so I would honestly suggest keeping center stage and refreshing ledge invincibility with shino stall (can bait a jump, down b, or up b). Advance strat would be to just have your back against the ledge off stage, so when he up b's, you can grab it before him.
tl;dr keep stage, use needles to add percent.

Since Luigi has no hitstun, you never want to tilt/dash attack/ ever approach ever when he's at a low% (He will nair you). Dash attack is kind of a hard read since his movement is so slippery. Always use down throw, and mix up fair/up air. At low percents, you can shield and see if they space aerials on your shield after a down throw, if not then you get another grab. Luigi will also wave dash in and jab your shield, when you see this, he's baiting a shield grab. If you fall for it, he gets an easy up b.

When recovering, you always want to go to the platforms imo. Most he can get is an aerial, and if you DI it, nothing else. If you land on the stage, he can react with ledge dash up b. I prefer hiding my second jump and air dodging, but mixing it up with double jump fair if he losing his invincibility on the ledge.

Last thing would be when you're in your shield, Luigi loves doing 2 aerials on shield. His aerials don't have much lag, and your best option would be a very fast nair oos, or wait for the second aerial and escape to a platform, or else he can get a grab and react to a roll.

First time posting on the forums here, hope I helped a bit.

AkhmadMustafa

Smash Rookie
NNID
Akhmad
Yeah actually this helps alot thanks man for the post!!!
From my experience, playing Luigi is pretty lame. Use needles to force them to approach. His wd can be slippery, and he'll try to bait grabs using it. Wait for a wiffed aerial, punish with a grab to a fast fair. Use up air a lot. Don't use tilts if you think he could nair out of hitstun, or else it will trade and you will be above Luigi. In my experience, I like smaller stages to give him less room to move around, and keep him on plats.

Edge guarding can be tricky, watch when they jump and when they down b in neutral so you know if they have those options. You can use the Marth killer against Luigi as an edge guard, but try shino stalling until he gets close, and roll up a bit earlier than you would think, otherwise he will up b you, and when you click "R" you will airdodge (alternatively you can standard get up). Grounded needles add on percent, bair from the ledge hardly ever works, so I would honestly suggest keeping center stage and refreshing ledge invincibility with shino stall (can bait a jump, down b, or up b). Advance strat would be to just have your back against the ledge off stage, so when he up b's, you can grab it before him.
tl;dr keep stage, use needles to add percent.

Since Luigi has no hitstun, you never want to tilt/dash attack/ ever approach ever when he's at a low% (He will nair you). Dash attack is kind of a hard read since his movement is so slippery. Always use down throw, and mix up fair/up air. At low percents, you can shield and see if they space aerials on your shield after a down throw, if not then you get another grab. Luigi will also wave dash in and jab your shield, when you see this, he's baiting a shield grab. If you fall for it, he gets an easy up b.

When recovering, you always want to go to the platforms imo. Most he can get is an aerial, and if you DI it, nothing else. If you land on the stage, he can react with ledge dash up b. I prefer hiding my second jump and air dodging, but mixing it up with double jump fair if he losing his invincibility on the ledge.

Last thing would be when you're in your shield, Luigi loves doing 2 aerials on shield. His aerials don't have much lag, and your best option would be a very fast nair oos, or wait for the second aerial and escape to a platform, or else he can get a grab and react to a roll.

First time posting on the forums here, hope I helped a bit.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Shamefully? I take offense to that. But what he said is good tips. Poking luigi with a back air as he tries to recover, and shooting needles works with edge guarding. Ledge guarding Luigi should be relatively easy, since his recovery is so slow. So even if you throw out a bair or needles you can still get the ledge guard unless he is really close. Just be patient with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom