• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Shield Drop Aerial Hitboxes

MooMoo_Cowfreak

Smash Rookie
Shield dropping allows your character to hit an opponent on the platform with an aerial out of shield. SH Nair out of shield is a commonly used option with Sheik, and is very viable, but Bair, Fair, and Uair can all also be used out of shield on a platform by using a shield drop. To help understand the spacing in relation to the size of your shield I've taken images of Sheik standing in shield and overlaid images of her performing a shield drop aerial. The result allows you to see hitboxes on top of Sheik's shield, so you can fully understand your offensive shield drop options.

Bair:

Fair:

Uair (useful especially when the opponent approaches with an aerial on your shield):

Nair out of shield drop to hit an opponent on the platform is pointless when SH Nair out of shield is just as effective, and Dair out of shield drop comes out too slowly to hit on the platform.

Shield dropping also has utility in hitting an opponent who is applying pressure from below (an uptilting Marth, for instance), and any one Sheik's aerials is useful in this application.

Here is a good video on performing shield drops.
I hope you guys are able to use these to your advantage, they're challenging to use in the heat of a match but extremely beneficial to your game!

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Nice visuals Moomoo_Cowfreak. Thanks for those.
On performing the shield drop there are a few key elements/variations to the technique that people seem to forget.
If you hold the direction you want to tilt your shield BEFORE you press L/R, it comes up already tilted all the way to the side.
This info could be usefull perfecting power shielding too (but I'll leave it at that).
Or you can press the direction during shield stun. When the stun is over the shield will move in one frame (if I am not mistaken).

Another bit of info on shield dropping is that you can do it pressing straight down. You dont even need to tilt the shield to a side first. I am not an expert (especially not in practice) but it's a specific speed. As well as a spot to go for, which is a horizontal line corresponding to downright and downleft, marked with red on the picture below.

Last edited:

UchihaJP

Smash Ace
Also other good options is to shielddrop down the platform and jump back instantly with nair/uair/bair or needles. Shielddrop uptilt, shorthop uair, upsmash on low platforms like YT & FoD.

From my experience I can't seem to hit the Nair hitbox out of shield above the platform.

Also with the input its very hard;
1 press down for shielddrop,
2 release to neutral,
3 input nair

before dropping down the platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom