• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Needle Combos Extended

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Needle Combos Extended

GSM VoiD has been pushing the boundaries of needle combos. Footstool setups, extending normal combos, even a kill combo on fast fallers dubbed the VoiD combo. Like many sheik mains, I drooled when I saw his combo showcase. So many things are possible with needles! I spent some time in the lab, learning his combos, and trying out my own. Here is what I've found.

Jab Locks

My first post on smash boards was a small one, telling people that sourspot bair jab locks. I didn't know if it was already known, so I posted it. I know have an application for sheiks terrible jab lock moves.

Using needle footstool setups ( Ftilt > Fullhop Needles > mash jump ) it is possible to combo into the sourspot back air for the jab lock. The move stops jab locking at around 35% so it only works until then. If you do the footstool setup then fastfall into sour back air, it will jab lock. This is VERY hard to do, so only do this if you're confident you can pull it off. Again, only works at low percents.

Throw Combos

Not many people know that you can true combo into full hop needles, with throws. Forward throw is the most notable one.

Forward throw can be used as a starter for almost all already known needle combos. It can also combo it Utilt, if you fastfall and land while the opponent is still in hitstun.

VoiD Combo Extended

The VoiD combo ( Utilt > Fullhop Needles > Double jump fair > bouncing fish ) is a kill combo that works on fast fallers from about 65% - 80%. From 70% onwards the Utilt is replaced by an auto cancel fair.

Using the throw combos that I've mentioned earlier, I've discovered a new kill setup, that works on fast fallers from as early as 40% up to 70%.

Backthrow > Fullhop needles > Double jump fair > Bouncing fish.

Yes it's a slightly edited VoiD combo, so I won't take credit. We'll call this the VoiD combo also. The hardest part of this combo is getting the needles after the back throw. If you aren't precise enough they can avoid the needles. If they nair, the combo works fine. If they jump, the needles should still catch them. If they air dodge and avoid all the needles, you can drop with a fair or a nair

This combo isn't super reliable, but it can work. Also note that the higher the percent of the opponent, the further from the edge of the stage you must be to combo into needles from back throw. This is because to combo into needles, you have to be practically under them when you full hop, and this isn't possible if you've just tossed them really far off the stage.

True Combo into Dair Spike

I love trying to find ways to use down air, and here is another.

Using the footstool setups, (I like to Fthrow into full hop needles to start this) it is possible to combo into down air. When you footstool if you don't input a direction you will jump directly upwards. If you do this the Dair will not connect. You have to hold back when you footstool, so that you jump back slightly, lining sheik up for the Dair. You must then immediately cancel the jump with down air, other wise it will not spike.

On walled stages, the spike can be teched, so be careful.

This is kind of hard to pull off, and if you do it wrong you just SD'd. It can also be used onstage to combo into Usmash or BF as seen in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAwpP9RKG0M&feature=youtu.be&t=46s

Because I'm full of myself I'm calling it the Simikins combo ;) Once I get better at doing it consistently I'll make a vid or something.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. Credit to GSM VoiD for pioneering needle combos such as these.

If I find any more I will add them to this thread. Also might try and get some GIFs for the visual learners, and just to make the thread look better.

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
For the backthrow combo, does it work better if they di inwards or outwards?

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
For the backthrow combo, does it work better if they di inwards or outwards?
Haven't been able to test DI very well as I play on 3DS, but from what I have done, and from what I know of the combo, it works far better if they DI inwards.
I'm still working on labbing all this stuff, and I will be updating this thread each time I find something new.

Top Bottom