• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Is Brain dead

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
Is Sheik brain dead? I hear that she is brain dead. I want the Sheik mains thought's on this.

Edit: Brain dead being very pick up and play such as starting up melee for the first time and within 3 hours being mildly proficient with a character

Last edited:

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Braindead? I don't think so?

I feel like this thread is going to get locked. Unless you define what "braindead" means in terms of Smash. Bros, I don't see the point of this.

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
Sheik is fking broken at the level where people haven't learned to hold down and then do something after Sheik hits them yet

After that she is one of the hardest and most precise characters

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Yeah, going off of what Laudandus said, the way that I would put it is that Sheik has a low skill floor and a medium-high skill ceiling; she's really easy to pick up, but challenging and difficult to master.

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
Sheik's "low level" punish game, or her ability to combo with random moves and not learning percents, is significantly easier than most characters. However, once you get to a level where people understand their characters amd matchups, she is the opposite of brain dead, given her lack of options/approaches in the neutral relative to other characters. She has to play the neutral very consciously, and to optimize her punish game (that is, to be able to get more than a few stray hits and to be able to finish with a proper finishing move) you must memorize a multitude of followup situations and be able to react very quickly.

You could argue that reaction based tech chasing on fast fallers with downthrow is braindead because you just regrab, and admittedly there is an argument here. However, it is so incredibly difficult to execute consistently and to react in time, if someone is tech chasing you well either you aren't mixing up your tech options or they deserve some serious credit for their skill.

I think this question is somewhat irrelevant, because she is more than counterable by most if not all currently "meta" characters. Even if the answer was yes, which I'm pretty certain it is not, she wouldn't necessarily be easier than other characters

SsbGum

Smash Cadet
Sheik is one of the toughest top tier characters to master with an ultimate reliance on excruciatingly accurate hitboxes, it's important to recognize that top level Sheik play comes with an insane amount of experience to be able to execute perfectly, which against better players obviously is incredibly apparent. Sheik is forced to react better and create optimal scenarios for her. It's harder to create those scenarios in the neutral, especially in certain MU's, primarily due to things like speed, dash dance and honestly just amount of options to create mix-ups and opportuinities as you work towards pushing you opponent out of center stage, even with a lot of hitboxes that lose trades in top MU's.

Players with experience fighting Sheik know how easy a combo can string together off of landing one hit in the neutral. She is a great combo weight, so if you are losing to spammy tilts or something, don't blame the effort.

Ie. Tech chasing, optimal edge guards.

Sheik tech may not be a vast tree of flashy things, but proficient and optimal movement is an absolute must to passing through certain plateaus. Anyone sleeping on sheik talent is annoying and is holding themselves back if they don't fully believe that Sheiks are working hard, if not harder than a lot of other characters, just because tilts are more spammable than the other cast.

I have played roughly 2k hours of Sheik over the last year and been to many tournaments. At first, new players may seem susceptible to getting ****in rocked, is because new players don't respect the players, but ultimately they don't respect the game enough yet.

They don't know a lot about this game, they make poor choices, and they make choices regardless of what your opponent does. When you play the game with this mindset, suddenly it's a little more understandable why scrub A keeps walking into my poorly spaced dash attack or something and I get free kills. I wouldn't be quick to call Sheik braindead, but instead her low level opponents who refuse to respect the character.

But that only lasts for so long. Suddenly Dash Attack, a super free kill against noobs, becomes the most scary move to throw out against an experienced player. Because honestly unless your desperate and fishing for a kill, or covering your opponent coming down, it's pretty much a free kill if optimally punished.

Okay, enough with this haha. I just don't understand why people would destroy the beauty of Sheik's style by calling her Braindead, when her actions generate and create a completely beautiful neutral exchange with every top tier!

Poccoishere

Smash Cadet
Is Sheik brain dead? I hear that she is brain dead. I want the Sheik mains thought's on this.

Edit: Brain dead being very pick up and play such as starting up melee for the first time and within 3 hours being mildly proficient with a character
I don't think so I would say she has a low entry level but a high skill ceiling. I would lean more to Marth being "brain dead" because of how he actually can poke and initiate without punishing or simpling raw grabbing.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
It's the general idea that Sheik is: Braindead, easy, gay, broken, boring and imbalanced, yes.

SsbGum

Smash Cadet
It's the general idea that Sheik is: Braindead, easy, gay, broken, boring and imbalanced, yes.
That entire thought process changes after you've watched a top 8 of any national ever, or if you are good enough to objectively appreciate the beautiful neutral game that all of the top tiers lend their hands in creating.

Zodiac

Smash Master
At low levels the brain dead characters are Falco, Marth and Sheik, at low levels all of these are down right ****ing stupid to play against. at mid levels it still kind of sucks but as you get better and better you realize even though they have an "easy mode" they HAVE to turn it up and apply a lot of skill to win their matches.

twopercent

Smash Cadet
At low levels the brain dead characters are Falco, Marth and Sheik, at low levels all of these are down right ****ing stupid to play against. at mid levels it still kind of sucks but as you get better and better you realize even though they have an "easy mode" they HAVE to turn it up and apply a lot of skill to win their matches.
this is pretty accurate.. im guessing OP has trouble with his sheik matchup

also

http://smashboards.com/threads/marth-is-brain-dead.418188/

lol i knew i saw this exact post somewhere else

Last edited:

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
You know what...I used to play smash with my IRL friends...Now I have to beg them to play & every time they'll say the same thing to try & get out of playing; "You're just going to play Sheik aren't you??", "That's so lame, don't you play any other character? It's so boring playing against you!!"....which i respond with; "it wouldn't be any of those 'problems' for you if you were winning would it? So stop whining, & STOP REROLLING & pick a main for fcks sake!". :D

I was proud of myself until now I haven't played in months because they seriously quit for real this time guys. :(

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
You know what...I used to play smash with my IRL friends...Now I have to beg them to play & every time they'll say the same thing to try & get out of playing; "You're just going to play Sheik aren't you??", "That's so lame, don't you play any other character? It's so boring playing against you!!"....which i respond with; "it wouldn't be any of those 'problems' for you if you were winning would it? So stop whining, & STOP REROLLING & pick a main for fcks sake!". :D

I was proud of myself until now I haven't played in months because they seriously quit for real this time guys. :(
My friends are the same way about Marth. They just give me easy reads.

Top Bottom