• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik=inescapable combos

Tristan_win

Not dead.
So as time goes on and I see more and more proof that most characters cannot combo in Brawl unless your opponent is DI ******** or don’t know what the air dodge is I can’t help but begin to wonder. Doesn’t this make Sheik much better then what people are making her out to be?

As not even Metaknight or G@W has actual combos that work on a wide section of characters, if any.

Now when I’m talking about Sheik and combos I’m not thinking about such things as the A-A-A or ftilt, ftilt, other attack combo but aerial set ups.

Example:

You just finish grabbing a Wolf opponent whom has 60 or so damage, you hit them a few times just in hopes to F up their DI while getting in that precious extra damage you will need later once they start getting within killing range then you throw them and that’s when it happens. Unlike most characters, Sheiks actually has three good setting up throws, the forward throw, the down throw, and even the back throw. Each of theses requires a different direction of DI to escape “correctly” but here’s the thing, there is no escape from Sheik. Even if they DI perfectly, air dodge and fast fall though you or away as long as you have a general idea where they might be heading you are going to hit them again.

No matter what direction you throw them as long as you can jump and enter striking distance with the fair you will always have an extremely high chance of hitting them. The only chance of not hitting them is

A. You thew them at very low percentage or a too high percentage
B. You mess up
C. You became distracted by a outside force such as your fingers breaking.

When they see your going to try to fair them then your opponent is of course going to either try to protect them selves with a attack, which more then half the time doesn’t come out fast enough because how fast Sheik jumps and strikes or air dodge. Now since you can air dodge before you can attack or do anything for that matter most people will of course air dodge but that wont stop Sheik.

If they air dodge away from you while fast falling, fast fall in pursuit into either dash attack or Uair that you auto cancel into a up tilt. The down smash work too but unless your fast falling rate is so much greater then theirs odds are they will block, which will most likely knock them far enough away to not shield grab you unless they grab you in mid spin or have a long reach.

If they air dodge into you then just use your Bair, it should last long enough even if they fast fall except if they are reality close to hit the ground. In such cases their arch will most likely be closer to you then normal so instead the Nair is the best option. As it has very little lag after landing compared to the bair but it also last just as long in the air.

Heh, Sheik may have lost her killing power, her abilities to turtle, and even her basic low percentage set ups but she will and most likely never lose her gay.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
DIing in the same direction as Sheik's fthrow/bthrow will make it impossible to combo off of those throws. At high percentages, they can attack you before you can follow up from the throw. Dthrow combos only work on heavy characters.

This game is kind of funny because as you get better, and face better people, you end up being able to do less and less impressive stuff.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
DIing in the same direction as Sheik's fthrow/bthrow will make it impossible to combo off of those throws. At high percentages, they can attack you before you can follow up from the throw. Dthrow combos only work on heavy characters.

This game is kind of funny because as you get better, and face better people, you end up being able to do less and less impressive stuff.
Yeah, but this could also be said about Melee as you fight better and better people their DI, and mind games make it so less impressive combos can be pulled(at least for Sheik).

Anyways if you do try to do a throw combo in the higher percentages and you know or even think they will try counter with an attack of their own then just trick them into swinging by jump toward them before pulling back out of range or if they fly to far for even this then just pursuit them on the ground until they either go for the edge or enter striking range again. If you trip, give up and roll away as Sakurai curse has just strike you and you should play it safe until his painful hex is lifted.

Most people will use the Dair, the Fair, and the Nair depending on their character they use. However characters besides Metaknight, Sheik and Lucario will have a clearly noticeable duration where they can't attack again after they just finish an aerial so they are in theory they are complete valuable for an attack.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, but this could also be said about Melee as you fight better and better people their DI, and mind games make it so less impressive combos can be pulled(at least for Sheik).
No, not really. Even with people getting better, there were some things Sheik could pull off. In fact, because they're good players, there are things she could only pull off on them, like techchase-grabbing on platforms. She also had her guaranteed setups into KOs.

Anyways if you do try to do a throw combo in the higher percentages and you know or even think they will try counter with an attack of their own then just trick them into swinging by jump toward them before pulling back out of range or if they fly to far for even this then just pursuit them on the ground until they either go for the edge or enter striking range again. If you trip, give up and roll away as Sakurai curse has just strike you and you should play it safe until his painful hex is lifted.
They have the option to air-dodge, attack, or jump before you reach them. If you try to bait an attack against a jump, you're stuck. If you try to attack before a jump, air-dodge or attack will beat you. You're pretty much forced to play a rock-paper-scissors game. And against the people I play, if they don't notice me going for them immediately, they don't attack until it's clear I'm about to go for them.

Most people will use the Dair, the Fair, and the Nair depending on their character they use. However characters besides Metaknight, Sheik and Lucario will have a clearly noticeable duration where they can't attack again after they just finish an aerial so they are in theory they are complete valuable for an attack.
Again, it's a rock-paper-scissors game, not a true combo. If you can predict well enough, good for you, but predictions will get that much harder as you face beter people.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
No, not really. Even with people getting better, there were some things Sheik could pull off. In fact, because they're good players, there are things she could only pull off on them, like techchase-grabbing on platforms. She also had her guaranteed setups into KOs.

They have the option to air-dodge, attack, or jump before you reach them. If you try to bait an attack against a jump, you're stuck. If you try to attack before a jump, air-dodge or attack will beat you. You're pretty much forced to play a rock-paper-scissors game. And against the people I play, if they don't notice me going for them immediately, they don't attack until it's clear I'm about to go for them.

Again, it's a rock-paper-scissors game, not a true combo. If you can predict well enough, good for you, but predictions will get that much harder as you face beter people.
Every combo in Melee had a percentage that made it impossible to happen and brawl is no different.

The whole point I was trying to make with my thread is that if you enter fair range your opponent is screwed unless they are fairly close to the ground or you mess up.

Jumping only give you another chance and doesn't solve your opponent problem of the fact that you are below them

If they air dodge your rising fair you can just follow them up with a another attack

You say it's like rock-paper-scissors but my little guide only leaves your opponent with Rock, which is to attack. Now since you just narrow it down to rock you can take steps to make sure you can hit them as the best option is also the most predictable.

And thus mind games come into play.

Top Bottom