• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Guide

How was my first guide

• Good

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Bad

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Decent

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Put it in the traaaaaaash

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

LNava

Smash Rookie
NNID
haha no
This is my first guide, so I decided to make it on my favorite character, and my main, Sheik.
I'd appreciate corrections and improvements on my guide. These are all from my personal experience with Sheik.

Sheik is a great character, she’s currently top tier in Melee(S), Smash 4(S), andProject M(A).
I debated on doing a Zelda article before this, I decided against it for a few reasons, Sheik is currently ranked 3rd in the S tier, only behind Fox and Falco, where Zelda is rank 19th in the B tier, and I know a lot more about Sheik than Zelda, but i will make some comparisons.

On a relative scale, she's faster than Puff but slower than Marth. Her attacks come out fast, (which can be a blessing in one-on-one battles and a burden in multiplayer battles, so be alert), she can juggle her opponent very well, and she works well as an offensive character and an opportunist. Her disadvantages are that her attacks are very weak and don't cover as wide of a range as Zelda's, but since she can unleash numerous attacks in a row with very little recovery time in between, and since they don't leave her as open as Zelda's hits, that makes up for this. Because her attacks cover a much narrower range and are much quicker than Zelda's, use caution in multiplayer battles; concentrate on using the linear and longer hits as much as possible, and time your short hits very carefully so as to knock your opponents into each other. This isn't as much of a problem in one-on-one battles, so go nuts with her normal hits. She jumps quite high and very quickly and is excellent in the air.

Sheik is placed at the top tier (3rd) because of her great offensive spacing and decent killpower. Her spacing comes from needles, which if the pace of the current match is too much for the player, he/she can slow it down with needles. She is also one of the most versatile characters, being able to rushdown and space with ease. Sheik’s down throw throws the enemy on the ground and falls on top of them, knocking them straight up. Start a combo with this one. Sheik's attacks come out fast with little recovery time in between, and although they aren't terribly powerful, she can unleash a lot of them in a short time. Try starting a combo with a downward or upward throw. A personal favourite of mine starts out with her dash, into her roundhouse, her windmill kick, dash again, her up kick, and finish with her upward stomp or her F+AIR, which has good killpower.

Sheik likes to throw needles at the enemy. Hold down the button to prepare more, and press the L or R button to store them. She can hold up to six. Release the button to unleash the needles.An excellent counterattack, because if the enemy is running towards you, they will be stopped in their tracks for a moment, giving you time to attack. Even if they block it, that still opens them up for a frontal assault or grab afterward. If thrown in the air, they travel at a downward angle. Watch for the ever-so-slight delay before they come out and the slight recovery delay afterward.

Sheiks NAIR: Sheik extends her legs in the traditional jumpkick style with one arm out in front and the other with her elbow extended behind. Good for knocking enemies away in all directions. It hits all around on a line in the direction she falls afterward, with the actual strike being slightly more powerful. Also good as a finishing move if the enemy has high damage. It has a slow recovery time, so don't use it near an edge.

Tilt up+A: Up kick
Sheik kicks straight up, and then sweeps her foot downward in front of her. It's a good attack to confuse an enemy - they'll think you're only hitting upward, and then they'll get caught in the forward hit. Hits in a semicircle on both sides and above, then in a narrow semicircle in front, leaving her open to attacks from directly below, which is only a problem in double matches.

That's all I really have to say about Sheik. Sorry for the abrupt ending.

-LNava

Poccoishere

Smash Cadet
Allow me to begin by saying hi^^ I am new around here also. I am also a Sheik main and LOVE talking about Sheik and furthering her metagame. I feel as if you handed this in as a school paper you would recieve a B to a C+(I don't know I am not a teacher just my opinion). You have decent grammar and spelling; you stayed on point grouping your ideas properly with little confusion around the core ideas. To an outsider to the scene this paper is an ok introduction to Sheik at a very basic level. Judging by your writing style it looks as if you are younger and trying to express you love for Sheik. I would say play with her more, know her inside and out. Play against your friends, strangers anyone; play your best and aim to win, but when you lose think about why. Try and make it so that you can't lose that way again. As you understand where the loses come from and how to prevent them is where you guide will come from. If this were a school paper I would ask: what is smash? How does one defeat an opponent in smash? Is this game played competitively? If not does it have the potential to be played competitively? What is the community like? How did the series begin? What makes you an expert in this game? What makes you an expert in this character? So on and so forth.

Sadly, this isn't a school paper; you are posting it here to reviewed by your peers. Nothing I am saying here is to attack you or devalidate your opinion, I am simply telling you the value I see from your post:

Nothing outside of the basics where said here, A simple google search could net more useful information to the metagame. You didn't really use any of the names for moves that the community has agreed on(up tilt, f-tilt, ect.) leaving your combo set-up almost to where unless you had a good idea of Sheiks existing moves and what they looked like you wouldn't know what you are saying. Following this the combo would be stuffed quickly after a crouch cancel(cc) to {insert a move} assuming that this combo is at a low percent. Much of the general game play of Sheik went unmentioned: tech chases; needle camping; chain grabbing; the value of Ftilt, dtilt, fair, down smash; the nuances of up smash, fsmash and dair; the percent damage of her moves; ect... I could go on but I feel it would be rude. Invest more time here, there is so much information to be found.

LNava

Smash Rookie
NNID
haha no
Allow me to begin by saying hi^^ I am new around here also. I am also a Sheik main and LOVE talking about Sheik and furthering her metagame. I feel as if you handed this in as a school paper you would recieve a B to a C+(I don't know I am not a teacher just my opinion). You have decent grammar and spelling; you stayed on point grouping your ideas properly with little confusion around the core ideas. To an outsider to the scene this paper is an ok introduction to Sheik at a very basic level. Judging by your writing style it looks as if you are younger and trying to express you love for Sheik. I would say play with her more, know her inside and out. Play against your friends, strangers anyone; play your best and aim to win, but when you lose think about why. Try and make it so that you can't lose that way again. As you understand where the loses come from and how to prevent them is where you guide will come from. If this were a school paper I would ask: what is smash? How does one defeat an opponent in smash? Is this game played competitively? If not does it have the potential to be played competitively? What is the community like? How did the series begin? What makes you an expert in this game? What makes you an expert in this character? So on and so forth.

Sadly, this isn't a school paper; you are posting it here to reviewed by your peers. Nothing I am saying here is to attack you or devalidate your opinion, I am simply telling you the value I see from your post:

Nothing outside of the basics where said here, A simple google search could net more useful information to the metagame. You didn't really use any of the names for moves that the community has agreed on(up tilt, f-tilt, ect.) leaving your combo set-up almost to where unless you had a good idea of Sheiks existing moves and what they looked like you wouldn't know what you are saying. Following this the combo would be stuffed quickly after a crouch cancel(cc) to {insert a move} assuming that this combo is at a low percent. Much of the general game play of Sheik went unmentioned: tech chases; needle camping; chain grabbing; the value of Ftilt, dtilt, fair, down smash; the nuances of up smash, fsmash and dair; the percent damage of her moves; ect... I could go on but I feel it would be rude. Invest more time here, there is so much information to be found.
Thank you. I knew you weren't trying to insult me you gave me exactly what I was asking for, constructive criticism.

Poccoishere

Smash Cadet
Thank you. I knew you weren't trying to insult me you gave me exactly what I was asking for, constructive criticism.
Any time man^^ I just wanted it to be clear that I wasn't attacking you and all that jazz. I would hate to silence a voice.

Ministry

Smash Ace
i saw your join date of October this year.... and i was right to assume.

"It has a slow recovery time, so don't use it near an edge." that cant be more wrong.

"Her attacks come out fast,which can be a blessing in one-on-one battles and a burden in multiplayer battles" why would fast attacks be bad in doubles? why would they be bad at all....

"She is also one of the most versatile characters, being able to rushdown" one of sheiks biggest weakness is not being able to aporach and rushdown.

"Try starting a combo with a downward or upward throw" upthrow almost never combos. (it can chaingrab spacies at 160% plus, and u can combo upthrow dtilt/ftilt with bad DI.

this has way too many inaccurate points. I think this should be an opinion piece or a character description, not a guide.

if you are trolling, then you did a really good job, well done.

also didnt mean to offend.

Last edited:

OG Zen

Smash Rookie
i saw your join date of October this year.... and i was right to assume.

"It has a slow recovery time, so don't use it near an edge." that cant be more wrong.

"Her attacks come out fast,which can be a blessing in one-on-one battles and a burden in multiplayer battles" why would fast attacks be bad in doubles? why would they be bad at all....

"She is also one of the most versatile characters, being able to rushdown" one of sheiks biggest weakness is not being able to aporach and rushdown.

"Try starting a combo with a downward or upward throw" upthrow almost never combos. (it can chaingrab spacies at 160% plus, and u can combo upthrow dtilt/ftilt with bad DI.

this has way too many inaccurate points. I think this should be an opinion piece or a character description, not a guide.

if you are trolling, then you did a really good job, well done.

also didnt mean to offend.
If u didnt mean to offend then u would have worded your opinions in a less abrasive tone.

Top Bottom