• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHDL tips

theMagnumDragon

Smash Cadet
I have trouble going fast enough from x/y to b to do shdl so I am trying to learn it with the control stick. Any tips or methods to flick it because I have been trying for awhile and just cannot get it for the life of me.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I use the control stick for all my inputs that require jumping, with the exception of wave landing onto side platforms. There's not really any tips my dude. It's literally just up on the control stick, hitting B twice, then down on the control stick. Not sure what kind of tips you're looking for, but like Swift said, just keep on practicing. Make sure you also practice retreating SHDL's. They're slightly more difficult because it requires a slight rotation, but it's nice to be able to do.

Last edited:

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
Don't press down haha, you can't fast fall double lazers.

I learned to double lazering from Oskurito's advice, which was to "shadowbox" double lazers away from the game, that is, when you aren't playing the game, hold your controller and just practice the motion of sliding from X to B, or Y, to B, or whatever your preference is.

I did it for a week, and when I came back to playing the game, I was doing them at about 80% consistency. (was probably like 10% before)

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Don't press down haha, you can't fast fall double lazers.

I learned to double lazering from Oskurito's advice, which was to "shadowbox" double lazers away from the game, that is, when you aren't playing the game, hold your controller and just practice the motion of sliding from X to B, or Y, to B, or whatever your preference is.

I did it for a week, and when I came back to playing the game, I was doing them at about 80% consistency. (was probably like 10% before)
Just realized I don't even press down. That's how dumb I am lmao.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
The muscle memory is real
You know haha :p Pretty much everything is muscle memory at this point, except for a few things. I realized I don't use up-tilt at all, so I've been practicing wavedash/aerial/shine- turnaround up-tilts and basically anything that I could up-tilt into. It's a lot tougher incorporating up-tilt than I thought :)

RFN

Smash Rookie
They're right, it's muscle memory to do it, but I do have a tip to learn it. Think about each input in your head. Light tap of jump, one laser on the way up, the other toward the apex and on the way down.

Sail

Smash Cadet
What helped me learn SHDL and multishines is that I would think of the fastest possible way to get from Y to B. I ended up sliding my thumb across the controller without really picking it up and putting it back down. I start on the closest part of the Y button as I can and hit the B button almost without pressing down, and it's kind of like I hit it by sliding my finger and it goes down because I start my thumb in the down position of the Y button and i keep it even when I get to the B button.

Gl reading this and ask if any of it doesn't make sense haha.

jin928

Smash Rookie
Some people find it easiest with doing a shine first and using tap jump, that was how I used to do it before moving to the Y to B method

squirrels4ev

Smash Apprentice
I spent the better part of a day with melee on alternating between watching anime and practicing tech between episodes. During the episodes I practiced sliding from Y to B and by the end of the day I had the foundations laid for SHDL and ledge release>DJ>platform canceled side-b shorten on Battlefield. I found that when I thought about sliding from Y to B it wouldn't work, but when I only thought about the B button in my head I could do it. Now I think of the motion of sliding from Y to B and double tapping B as a single input in my mind and the muscle memory does the work for me. Just practice the motion; depending on your grip a Y to B motion or an X to B motion will work better for you. It may be that some people have muscles more suited to tap jumping than sliding (precision compared to speed). Try all 3 methods, then focus on the one most natural to you.

EUROPEANonymous

Smash Rookie
i do it only with stick + B

it was a bit hard at first, but now i can do it pretty fast

( like Dash > quarter circle UP to jump > and press b as fast as you can since you have a finger on every button )

Last edited:

Sail

Smash Cadet
i do it only with stick + B

it was a bit hard at first, but now i can do it pretty fast

( like Dash > quarter circle UP to jump > and press b as fast as you can since you have a finger on every button )
The problem I have with that way is that it makes it even harder to do retreating SHDL. I feel like it better to grind the muscle memory for Y -> B than use the control stick.

Jonte

Smash Cadet
I have trouble going fast enough from x/y to b to do shdl so I am trying to learn it with the control stick. Any tips or methods to flick it because I have been trying for awhile and just cannot get it for the life of me.
If you are using X to jump normally I'd suggest to try slide from X to B in one motion, going across A as you go.

The A doesn't register because you are in your jumpsquat, the inputs become like this:

X > A > B, B (repeat)

That's how I do it, and I find it really easy. It's a lot harder for me to do Y to B for some reason. :$

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
You guys not using Y are crazy. I use X for everything else but shdl. It was super weird and hurt my hands at first, but the next day I was practicing it and my thumb just became lightning fast after a few hours of grinding. The sliding is the best because your thumb can touch the bottom of Y and easily hit the B button twice. Much more practical than hitting the B button 2 frames after hitting X. That's just my opinion though. M2K uses X and he's one of the best run-away Foxes.

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
I just figured out how to SHDL yesterday and realized what I was doing wrong for so long.

I assume you play standard grip (not claw) so you should observe how you actually do the Y/X -> B movement and where you start the jump input on the button itself.
I was told going from X -> B is really simple because you can press A during jumpsquat and it won't do a nair. So you can just drag your thumb across to B which makes it easy.
I did that for a bit and was decently consistent. It taught me the timing itself and how strict it is. Its much easier than what I learned for Y -> B and tapjump SHDL. But it was still was awkward cause I used Y to jump and JC.

What I actually learned was the gross motor movement of my thumb.

For the longest time I tried to use Y and flick down from the left end of the Y button.
Last night I discovered you can go from the right end of the Y button to B and do a movement with the whole thumb.
Ultimately its a similar movement to X -> B
Personally I can produce a more consistent movement with my whole thumb than just the final joint in the thumb.
My SHDL guide illustration:

So I made this thanks to the vector art from wikipedia.
Yleft -> B is the shortest path, Yright -> B (the middle blue line) being the medium length path and X -> B is the longest path. You're given X amount of frames to start the first lazer after inputing the jump.
The shortest path might look the best on paper but when you consider where you place your thumb and how fast you can safely accelerate, the other paths become better.
With Yleft theres no horizontal movement so you'll be relying on the final joint movement which can be inconsistent and tiring.
With the other options you can use the whole thumb to make a rolling motion, a draging motion or a compound movement which most of the time its easier.

I hope this makes it easier for other people how to learn SHDL. These are just the different ways you can SHDL. If you practice the paths from right to left you will get faster at it naturally. I know this is silly but text answers don't really explain it. We spend a lot of time talking about inputs and the number of frames we're given to execute inputs but we neglect how to actually do the input. Not just which input option but the physical movement itself. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
If you don't have any hand injury or condition, you should be able to pull it off eventually. What helped me to breakthrough from 0% to 95% consistency was to realize that l had to mash the B button before Fox left the ground.

So once you press a jumping input the game thinks you are already airborne so you can "buffer" an aerial move to be executed ASAP.

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
Sliding from y to b has been the easiest method for me and I really mean sliding. its like one smooth motion and once you get to b you just press b again for the second laser. It's the same movement that you can also use for multishines.

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Cradle the controller with your finger tips instead of gripping it while doing the SHDL. Since you're holding it more loosely, you can use your wrists to rock the controller slightly. This artificially shortens the distance you have to move your fingers.

I also suggest listening to matches with SHDL happening a lot (2013 hbox vs m2k) to ingrain the rhythm in your mind.

Top Bottom